Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 43026 times)
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #270 on: November 21, 2012, 12:54 PM »

Andy will go on to win more slams. Even if he does win Wimbledon I do not think it will have as much meaning as before. I think winning the US Open means more to him now. I think he knows just because he is British does not mean he is going to have everyone's support. It is a sad state of affairs that he had more support in the US. They support him because he is a tryer and gives everything he has got. He has gone back every year and this time he won. I bet he had more satisfaction for that win than he will ever get at Wimbledon.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #271 on: November 21, 2012, 01:48 PM »

I agree LB, especially considering the US Open is his favourite slam.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #272 on: November 21, 2012, 02:50 PM »

I think winning Wimbledon would mean a lot to Andy - just look at his reaction when he got through to the final. Having won a slam now, the pressure will be off more when Wimbledon-time comes round. I'd be surprised if he never wins it, he's such a good grass court player.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #273 on: November 21, 2012, 03:05 PM »

I don't think what winning Wimbledon would mean to Andy will have changed one bit-because I don't think winning it was ever,in his mind,about his relationship with the British supporters.

I don't mean the crowd support doesn't help-Andy himself has often stated that it does,and that he's appreciative of every bit of it he gets.But I don't think winning Wimbledon was ever about how the crowds would react,or whatever.Winning Wimbledon is an entity in itself-it's the idea of winning that hugely prestigious,hugely competitive,hugely historic tournament in itself that fires Andy-people's reactions to him winning,their views of him,etc,are secondary to all of that.

I mean,I don't know him,so obviously I  could be wrong.But look at all those years,when Andy was vilified by the press and many members of the public (because whatever we think of recent events,it HAS gotten better),when he was receiving hate mail and such like.Winning Wimbledon (and many other tournaments,but it's Wimby in particular we're talking about here) meant just as much to him then as before all that nonsense started-it never wavered.So I doubt that one horrible night would change something that's always meant so much to him-I certainly hope it wouldn't!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #274 on: November 21, 2012, 04:18 PM »

Andy will go on to win more slams. Even if he does win Wimbledon I do not think it will have as much meaning as before. I think winning the US Open means more to him now. I think he knows just because he is British does not mean he is going to have everyone's support. It is a sad state of affairs that he had more support in the US. They support him because he is a tryer and gives everything he has got. He has gone back every year and this time he won. I bet he had more satisfaction for that win than he will ever get at Wimbledon.

Of course winning the USOpen must have been hugely satisfying for Andy - it was his first major and he finally got the monkey off his back but don't underestimate the significance of winning Wimbledon.  Wimbledon is the Mecca for tennis players - it's the one they all want to win whether they are British or not.  As far as Andy is concerned, his prestige will (note I say 'will' and not 'would') rocket in Britain - many Brits don't know there are Majors other than Wimbledon and as far as sponsors are concerned his appeal will be sky high.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #275 on: November 22, 2012, 06:58 PM »

Yes but don't lets fetishise winning Wimbledon so that we treat it as failure if he doesn't.   
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #276 on: November 22, 2012, 07:05 PM »

I treat all slams as equals. I know Andy will win the Australian Open, imo that's a given. But say he wins the French Open and Wimbledon too, it's obvious which slam he'll believe is his greatest victory, and it certainly won't be Wimbledon....
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #277 on: November 22, 2012, 07:23 PM »

I agree with ProdigyEng I have just started to re-read again Andy Murray Champion. I think it gives insight to why Andy preferred to go to Spain to learn instead of going to the LTA. His brother Jamie lasted a couple of moths there then came home because he was unhappy there. A quote from Judy "What have they done to him" He was determined not to go the same way as Jamie and be miserable. I do not think Wimbledon is the be all and end all. From all the information I have read it is time the LTA came into the present instead of living in the past. It is dynamic as a damp squib with  its false airs and graces. It is time that it stopped being so posh for the want of a better word. It is time that some ordinary people were employed to make it more people friendly. To be honest I cannot see it happening. Make the most of Andy he may be the last grand slam winner this country will see. Oh and don't wear jeans Judy was almost denied entry because she wore them.
IP Logged
rocketassist

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #278 on: November 26, 2012, 01:44 AM »

I would say Wiggins will get it but if Andy wins another slam next year or bags the world number one ranking for even a single week, then no one is stopping him from taking the 2013 award.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #279 on: November 26, 2012, 10:53 AM »

The shortlist of 12 contenders will be announced during 'The One Show' on Monday 26 November (BBC One, 19:00 GMT) and will also appear on the BBC Sports Personality of the Year website.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #280 on: November 26, 2012, 02:10 PM »

I think winning Wimbledon would mean a lot to Andy, but I don't think it's the be all and end all. I'm certainly not sure that I even agree with Lendl's quoted opinion, that Andy would probably swap the USO win for Wimbledon if he could.

That said, I suppose it is the one major most players would like to win, because of the history of it, the sense of there being a long, long line of players who have won it since 1877. It arguably is the most well known of the majors.

I don't think we should get Wimbledon confused with the LTA per se. Nowadays I do think the LTA is better than it was when Jamie and Andy were youngsters. I do think now there is some thought going in to trying to get youngsters in to the game, which wasn't the case years ago.

Wimbledon itself though, I must say I think it could do with waking up a bit. Compare it with the USO for example. In truth, you can't. They are chalk and cheese. I like some of the tradition at SW19, the predominantly white rule, that sort of thing, but I do think that in terms of the atmosphere they could take a lot from the Olympics.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #281 on: November 26, 2012, 04:21 PM »

I think the “Murray Factor” will have the best overall effect on Tennis (especially in Scotland) to be able to see a young guy who came from an average working class family (okay with a tennis mad mum !!!) succeed at the level that he has is more inspiring than anything.  Of course it has special meaning in Scotland just because Andy is so proud of where he comes from.

I get so mad sometimes when trying to explain to my non tennis watching or 2 week only tennis watching friends just what is so special about him, if I had a pound for every time I have said:-

●  He is not a dour boring Scotsman
●  He is not a failure just because he has not won a slam (don’t have this one anymore but will be replaced with)  He did not win the USO only because Rafa Nadal was absent!!!!
●  He is a fantastically talented player with an array of shots that is breathtaking, he is supremely talented and on a par with the top players.

I have been luck enough to see Andy play “live” at the DC ties, seeing him up close and personal, chatting to everyone, signing autographs, posing for photos, responding to all requests was amazing, I just have so much respect for this guy, to continually be beaten down and get back up again and again until he realised his dream takes so much guts, heart and determination – in my book that is what merits a “Sports Personality of the Year”.  Also having to do this whilst being the only successful British Man in the sport currently.

I have not “bullied” my friends into submission and they are going to vote for Andy (I think they are just too scared not to).  Although I don’t think he will win I would love it if he did because it might kind of make up for the abysmal treatment he received at the O2.

I read an interesting bit in one of the papers yesterday (I think it was a column by Catriona Shearer) who said that only 4 Scotsmen have won the SPOTY in it’s whole history, so defo the odds appear to be stacked against him. 
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #282 on: November 26, 2012, 07:59 PM »

I don't think Andy will win - there are too many other realistic contenders this Olympic year , and despite the huge shift in public opinion towards him after his recent successes there is still a significant portion of haters, rather than couldn't-care-lessers, in the mix. The real interest for me will be where he ends up in the League table
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #283 on: November 26, 2012, 08:11 PM »

I don't understand how the phone vote works.  Years ago I tried to get through to vote on Pop Idol and the line was constantly engaged.  The person I was trying to vote for didn't win.  If the line for each nominee is engaged for the entire time allocated to vote, it would end up a dead heat between all 12, so just how DOES it work ????????????
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #284 on: November 26, 2012, 08:21 PM »

Really was an unprecedented year for British sport if people like Laura Trott and Jason kenny can't even get nominated. Compared to years when Greg Rusedski won for losing a final, David Beckham won for 1 goal against Greece, or Ryan Giggs won in the worst season of his entire career because he had played for a long time.

Whoever wins it's going to be an amazing show with so many highlights to relive. Won't get the chance to see it here of course and I will attempt to download it from somewhere but if that fails I would be eternally grateful if someone could record it onto a DVD and mail it to me. I would fully reimburse any costs of course.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »