Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 47187 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #285 on: November 26, 2012, 08:28 PM »

I don't understand how the phone vote works.  Years ago I tried to get through to vote on Pop Idol and the line was constantly engaged.  The person I was trying to vote for didn't win.  If the line for each nominee is engaged for the entire time allocated to vote, it would end up a dead heat between all 12, so just how DOES it work ????????????

ITV are idiots and the pop idol line probably wasn't set up properly. Each number will have thousands of 'lines' opened up so to speak, on a server logging votes. It's like when a radio station runs a competition, they have one number open, but numerous lines, so they have the ability to speak to a caller from any line.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #286 on: November 26, 2012, 08:31 PM »

I just have so much respect for this guy, to continually be beaten down and get back up again and again until he realised his dream takes so much guts, heart and determination – in my book that is what merits a “Sports Personality of the Year”.

I think you are losing the plot  a bit here. The guy that cleans out the public toilets in Glasgow probably has a lot of guts, heart and determination. Do you think he has a chance if winning the Sports Personality of the Year? I doubt he'll even get nominated.

Its got nothing to do with all that stuff. Its about being the best at your sport and doing something no-one has done since we were living in caves. Andy should win it for winning the USO but he won't because he's Scottish and has a prickly personality on court. Not off-court where he;s a lovely bloke but on-court where he swears and snarls too much for middle England.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #287 on: November 26, 2012, 08:39 PM »

We are speaking about SPOTY, not the Public Service Awards, so why make that comment?  Andy has shown loads of guts and determination to get to his ultimate aim, I personally think he deserves it, just a point of view, thought that was what this forum was for!!
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #288 on: November 26, 2012, 08:44 PM »

It IS about expressing your viewpoint. You did and so did I!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #289 on: November 26, 2012, 09:20 PM »

Just how does the guy who cleans the public toilets have anything remotely to do with SPOTY?  Totally irrelevant!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #290 on: November 26, 2012, 09:24 PM »

I just have so much respect for this guy, to continually be beaten down and get back up again and again until he realised his dream takes so much guts, heart and determination – in my book that is what merits a “Sports Personality of the Year”.

I think you are losing the plot  a bit here. The guy that cleans out the public toilets in Glasgow probably has a lot of guts, heart and determination. Do you think he has a chance if winning the Sports Personality of the Year? I doubt he'll even get nominated.

Its got nothing to do with all that stuff. Its about being the best at your sport and doing something no-one has done since we were living in caves. Andy should win it for winning the USO but he won't because he's Scottish and has a prickly personality on court. Not off-court where he;s a lovely bloke but on-court where he swears and snarls too much for middle England.

The thing is BN, you contradict yourself. If winning the SPOTY was purely about the things a sportsman does in their sport none of them would get it. Also, if, as you imply, it's all about the sport, what has Andy swearing and snarling (never seen him do that personally, but there we are) got to do with anything? Isn't it how he plays that counts.

There are degrees, surely, of determination, grit and courage. Of course there are people in every day life who have those qualities, but the way Andy has continued to work, picked himself up from losses and put himself back on the line does take guts and strength of character. Andy has those in abundance, which is probably why he is among the 12 nominees for the SPOTY.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #291 on: November 26, 2012, 09:39 PM »

There are degrees, surely, of determination, grit and courage. Of course there are people in every day life who have those qualities, but the way Andy has continued to work, picked himself up from losses and put himself back on the line does take guts and strength of character. Andy has those in abundance, which is probably why he is among the 12 nominees for the SPOTY.

So you're making it sound like its surprising Andy didn't just give up and stop trying  because of the trauma of losing some big matches. He's only 25 and in the prime of his life and living a kind of fantasy life that most of us can only dream of. I don't think playing tennis professionally, even with the way Andy pushes himself, can compare with the guts and determination it takes to clean out the public bogs. All this stuff is almost irrelevant in comparison to the thing that is 20 times more important, something called ability.  
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #292 on: November 26, 2012, 09:43 PM »

Just how does the guy who cleans the public toilets have anything remotely to do with SPOTY?  Totally irrelevant!

Im not saying cleaning out the toilets is necessarily a sport. But it isn't hard to see how it could become one with a bit of planning. Its probably more of a sport than synchronised swimming.
IP Logged
rocketassist

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #293 on: November 26, 2012, 09:48 PM »

Personally whilst the public vote means the people choose, it can have negative effects- look at Zara Phillips' joke of a win. Imagine if Justin Bieber was put on the list for winning a charity golf do. All his inane fangirls would ensure he won it.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #294 on: November 26, 2012, 09:50 PM »

BBC have gone over the top with the PC for this year's list. Nicola Adams? Really?

Anyway the consensus on the football forum I frequent is that Wiggins deserves it most. Not even bothered to argue that Murray has achieved almost identical achievements, but without the added bonus of having the best team, and having faced far more adversity, because no-one will listen.

But ye, I'll be amazed if Murray wins it. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even make top 3. It's a popularity contest, nothing else, and Wiggins will win because he's a 'lad' whilst Murray is a 'dour Scot' with no personality apparently. People will see what they want to see.

I don't care anyway. Looking forward to seeing all the sporting montages and watching the highlights of the year again but don't really care who wins, it's a meaningless accolade. Of course I'd prefer to see Andy win like, but it'll never happen.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #295 on: November 26, 2012, 09:50 PM »

Andy should win it for winning the USO but he won't because he's Scottish and has a prickly personality on court. Not off-court where he;s a lovely bloke but on-court where he swears and snarls too much for middle England.

I'm sorry, but what absolute horseshit. I remember some people on here coming up with the similar reasoning why Chris Hoy might lose to Rebecca Adlington after the last Olympics - that he was Scottish and she was English. She wouldn't have won for being English. She would have deservedly won for winning 2 gold medals and becoming the first British woman swimmer do so for 100 years while also breaking swimming's longest standing world record that was thought to be unbeatable.

Similarly this time, Bradley Wiggins won't beat Andy Murray because he is English. He'll deservedly win because he became the the first Brit ever to win cycling biggest prize and followed it up with a gold medal to become Britain's greatest Olympic medal winner. Murray deserves to win too, as does every other nominee and a number of others who are not even nominated. Being Scottish or English has f**k all to do with it.

It's also interesting to note that the winner of this award hasn't actually been English since 2006. Since then there's been a Scot, 2 Welsh, a Northern Irish and an Isle of Man winner.

As with many awards, there are many who deserve it, and this year more so than previous years as there has never been as much British success in so many different sports in the one year. But as with all awards, there can only be 1 winner.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 November 26, 2012, 09:54 PM ] IP Logged
rocketassist

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #296 on: November 26, 2012, 09:52 PM »

BBC have gone over the top with the PC for this year's list. Nicola Adams? Really?

Anyway the consensus on the football forum is that Wiggins deserves it most. Not even bothered to argue that Murray has achieved almost identical achievements, but without the added bonus of having the best team, and having faced far more adversity, because no-one will listen.

But ye, I'll be amazed if Murray wins it. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even make top 3. It's a popularity contest, nothing else, and Wiggins will win because he's a 'lad' whilst Murray is a 'dour Scot' with no personality apparently. People will see what they want to see.

I don't care anyway. Looking forward to seeing all the sporting montages and watching the highlights of the year again but don't really care who wins, it's a meaningless accolade. Of course I want Andy to win like, but it'll never happen.

The BBC haven't shown a single bit of US Open footage since the final. Only photos of him with the trophy (they have no rights to show anything from the USO). So don't expect much highlights of him on the programme besides the Wimbledon heartache and Olympic glory.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #297 on: November 26, 2012, 09:54 PM »

I was referring to all the nominees, particularly the Olympians. Although would be a shame if they don't show any highlights of the USO.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #298 on: November 26, 2012, 10:00 PM »

Hopefully the BBC will buy the rights to at least a small clip from the US Open, but I can see them concentrating on using the footage they already have rights to air without spending any more money.

It was so inevitable Andy would be nominated that it's hard to get excited by it, but when you consider who has been left out, it's worth remembering how impressive it is.  Who knows how the public will vote?  Everyone on the list is deserving, so while I will hope Andy gets in the top 3, ideally winning (I genuinely think he has the edge this year), I'll try to enjoy the show for what it is, regardless of result.  A celebration of a great sporting year.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #299 on: November 26, 2012, 10:08 PM »

I'm sorry, but what absolute horseshit. I remember some people on here coming up with the similar reasoning why Chris Hoy might lose to Rebecca Adlington after the last Olympics - that he was Scottish and she was English. She wouldn't have won for being English. She would have deservedly won for winning 2 gold medals and becoming the first British woman swimmer do so for 100 years while also breaking swimming's longest standing world record that was thought to be unbeatable.

Yeah but Chris Hoy didn't make an "anyone but England" comment (even jokingly). There's no doubt in my mind if Andy was English he'd be idolised in England.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »