Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 53050 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #315 on: November 27, 2012, 10:03 AM »

He's planned not to go for ages. I don't care if it ruins his chances of winning. A Grand Slam Champion is right to concentrate 100% on his training, rather than let some shitty awards disrupt it.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #316 on: November 27, 2012, 11:26 AM »

I agree with you 100% Prodigy!
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #317 on: November 27, 2012, 11:29 AM »

It would be great for him to win, but I wouldn't be bothered if he never wins it. Andy is a guy that cares more about doing the best he can in the sport he plays, and he will want to work for grand slams and other titles and see the results, rather than win a popularity contest. I think Andy will be a lot prouder with a lifetime achievement award at the spoty in the future, rather than just the yearly one, and I think he's set to win one if he is commited to helping the sport grow in scotland with a centre etc, like he's already hinted.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #318 on: November 27, 2012, 11:41 AM »

So you're making it sound like its surprising Andy didn't just give up and stop trying  because of the trauma of losing some big matches. He's only 25 and in the prime of his life and living a kind of fantasy life that most of us can only dream of. I don't think playing tennis professionally, even with the way Andy pushes himself, can compare with the guts and determination it takes to clean out the public bogs. All this stuff is almost irrelevant in comparison to the thing that is 20 times more important, something called ability. 

BN you're being ridiculous now, and deliberately misunderstanding other points of view. Well, I say deliberately, but maybe not. Maybe you are just thick.
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #319 on: November 27, 2012, 11:46 AM »

Some events come around just once in your lifetime, including SPOTY in the year that Andy won a gold at the home Olympics, his first appearance in a Wimbledon final and first Slam win.  His missed the amazing Olympics opening ceremony and post Olympics parade in London (I know he went back to Dunblane).  Training in Florida and playing exhibition matches happen every year.  Act in haste, repent at leisure.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #320 on: November 27, 2012, 11:48 AM »

Some events come around just once in your lifetime, including SPOTY in the year that Andy won a gold at the home Olympics, his first appearance in a Wimbledon final and first Slam win.  His missed the amazing Olympics opening ceremony and post Olympics parade in London (I know he went back to Dunblane).  Training in Florida and playing exhibition matches happen every year.  Act in haste, repent at leisure.

The SPOTY happens every year. I am confident Andy will be a nominee in other years too.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #321 on: November 27, 2012, 11:52 AM »

Hi All,

I was about to settle down for bed last night when I decided to put Sky News on, just to hear the news headlines. I shouldn't have done. I ended up incensed. They were doing a paper review and the SPOTY was mentioned. They were talking about the nominees, obviously, and one of the idiots came out with the line that he couldn't figure out why Andy had been nominated as he has no personality.

What I don't understand is how people get off on being so rude and personal. There is Andy, easily one of the most successful sportsmen Britain has produced in years, and he is also decent, hard working and pleasant to people, and yet all he seems to get is constant abuse in one way or another. I really do think the way he has been treated over the years, for whatever reason, is a national disgrace. It has taken us years to find a tennis player of Andy's brilliance and what do we do when we've got him? Honestly, it makes me fume. America, and indeed Australia, would probably kill for a player half as talented as Andy, but his own country can't see what we've got. It's incredible. I'm trying to work out whether it really is something against him really, or whether it is because most don't understand his sport, so they don't see what goes in to it. Another thought that I have is that Britain is unable to handle success, particularly in sport, because we've become too used to failure.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #322 on: November 27, 2012, 11:55 AM »

You don't get awards by just going through the motions.  :p

roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao

Thanks for the laugh, I needed that!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #323 on: November 27, 2012, 12:15 PM »

Hi All,

I was about to settle down for bed last night when I decided to put Sky News on, just to hear the news headlines. I shouldn't have done. I ended up incensed. They were doing a paper review and the SPOTY was mentioned. They were talking about the nominees, obviously, and one of the idiots came out with the line that he couldn't figure out why Andy had been nominated as he has no personality.

What I don't understand is how people get off on being so rude and personal. There is Andy, easily one of the most successful sportsmen Britain has produced in years, and he is also decent, hard working and pleasant to people, and yet all he seems to get is constant abuse in one way or another. I really do think the way he has been treated over the years, for whatever reason, is a national disgrace. It has taken us years to find a tennis player of Andy's brilliance and what do we do when we've got him? Honestly, it makes me fume. America, and indeed Australia, would probably kill for a player half as talented as Andy, but his own country can't see what we've got. It's incredible. I'm trying to work out whether it really is something against him really, or whether it is because most don't understand his sport, so they don't see what goes in to it. Another thought that I have is that Britain is unable to handle success, particularly in sport, because we've become too used to failure.

Gary Linekar was asked about the 'Personality' label on the 'One Show' last night.  His take on it was that it had just always been called that and perhaps it was a misnomer in the same way as 'Match Of The Day' is actually about all the matches of the day.  He felt personality shouldn't be an issue, it should be down to sporting achievement.  Having said that, Clare Balding's take on 'BBC Breakfast' was that, given there was so many fantastic sporting achievements this year, it would come down to how individuals viewed the personalities of the nominees and how they reacted to them.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #324 on: November 27, 2012, 01:00 PM »

A lo of these people don't understand Andy is a tennis player and not say a stand-up comedian. Maybe if Andy preceded his press conferences/TV interviews with a joke or a magic trick people would like him more.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #325 on: November 27, 2012, 01:03 PM »

Whatever Andy does he can't win. I do not think he will win SPOTY the odds are very much against him. To me he is the SPOTY what he has done this year is tremendous and is a great for tennis. However he is always being perceived as being a dour Scot and I am afraid that will not change no matter what he does or will achieve. It is a fact of life if he had been born in England he might win. But he is proud to be Scottish and he may not suit everyone in UK.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #326 on: November 27, 2012, 01:07 PM »

[
Hi All,

I'm not too hung up on this, because I think they were going for a cheap joke at Andy's expense. But I agree it was in poor taste.
IP Logged
[email protected]

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #327 on: November 27, 2012, 02:28 PM »

who cares about one tv programme i know hes the greatest ever dont need a programme to tell me about his fantastic personality ( read his book ) bev
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #328 on: November 27, 2012, 03:03 PM »

I must admit, I haven't got a clue about the SPOTY award. What is it truly based on? Personality or achievement? Or perhaps both?

Either way, if you ask me, Andy's got both. He has one of the most genuine personalities out there. Nothing fake or pompous about it. Personality shouldn’t mean something too fleshy. It could very well be subtle. And this year, he's added the much needed achievement.

Having said that, I am not aware of other athletes/personalities who are also up for this award so not really sure about the whole thing anyway.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #329 on: November 27, 2012, 03:07 PM »

At the end of the day – it can be dressed up any way you want but Andy will not win this because he is Scottish – it pains me to say it but that is why, he will never be truly accepted.  However, I am pretty sure he will not really be that concerned about it, his eyes are on a different prize – the AO 2013 and am so pleased he is evidencing his determination by staying at his training block – that is why he is a success – nothing gets in his way!!!!!

I really hope he chooses to play DC and that if he does there is a big chance it will be in Scotland – not that I am a big fan of him feeling forced to play DC but I just think the welcome that he will get will lift him through the roof and sometimes you get the impression that is far more important to Andy than things like the SPOTY.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »