Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 53166 times)
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #330 on: November 27, 2012, 03:52 PM »

Wiggins has it by a mile looking at the message boards. The thing is that every time i see Wiggins he acts like a little twat. It's the whole Federer thing again - the media tell us he is a decent guy and all the idiots follow along with this idea.

Arrrrrgggh!!! Effing British Public !
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #331 on: November 27, 2012, 04:18 PM »

Much has been said about Andy not being English.  Well nor is Rory McIlroy.  I am so impressed by his golf AND his personality, that when he is 2nd on the leader board and Luke Donald is top, I have to remind myself that Luke is English and that I should be rooting for him, but Rory is a more complete package, with his bubbly personality, that he wins me over.  Rory is a fairly shy person, but he managed to get on court and played a few balls against Maria Sharapova.  Andy COULD smile more (it costs nothing) and even that small gesture would win the hearts of so many more people.  My friends and relatives know I support Andy, but each and every one of them criticizes him for his dour disposition and for his lack of support for the Davis Cup Team.  He was missing from the post Olympic parade in London.  Missing from SPOTY.  Self-centred people are not  attractive to the outside world.  I think this perception in fact does bother Andy and a few tweeks here and there could make all the difference.  It's a sad state of affairs when the inner circles of Lendl and Andy have to convince the rest of us that they do have a humorous and friendly side to their personalities, when they could quite easily do that for themselves.  Can you imagine how wonderful it would have been if Andy could have reacted in a Stepanek kind of way when he won the Olympic gold and the US Open.  I know he was shocked when he won, but I reacted more than he did, jumping up and down in my front room !!
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #332 on: November 27, 2012, 04:21 PM »

A lo of these people don't understand Andy is a tennis player and not say a stand-up comedian. Maybe if Andy preceded his press conferences/TV interviews with a joke or a magic trick people would like him more.
It works for Usain Bolt.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #333 on: November 27, 2012, 04:24 PM »

Andy COULD smile more (it costs nothing)

No offence intended but you don't know what you are talking about. Some people just don't smile as naturally, or as often, as others. For some people it IS an effort to smile. Its just the way they are made.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #334 on: November 27, 2012, 04:26 PM »

He does smile - have you seen him live and seen the interaction he has with his fans - I have.  What about the interview he did at the AO after beating Michael Laudra - watch it on You Tube - brilliant.  What about his return to Dunblane - brilliant.

Andy has been shafted so many times by the media - he does not trust them - can't say I blame him.  What do the British public want a laughing joking "look at me" Andy who jeapordises his training block to attend SPOTY or and Andy Murray that puts 100%+ into winning. He didn't go to the Olympic Parade because he was playing in a Masters 1000 tournament - he has his priorities right.

Stay true to yourself Andy that's why you are a success.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #335 on: November 27, 2012, 04:30 PM »

FCR Andy had to go and play in Canada, so he could not be physically be in two places at once, anyone with an ounce of sense would know he could not be at the post Olympic Parade.As for the rest of what you have written is not worth commenting on, but I would say Andy has to have his training time with Lendl before he starts another stellar year. Most of his fans and Andy would rather he won more titles and slams that SPOTY. Andy cannot play in the Davis Cup when there is no one to support him, the British no 2 is way down in the 200's. Andy and Lendl are humrous and friendly, if you are an Andy fan the God help Andy and us!Also smiles an awful lot but how many players are smiling when the are battling it out on the court.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #336 on: November 27, 2012, 04:40 PM »

FCR,Andy wasn't at the post-Olympic parade in London because he was overseas at the time.He couldn't attend the one in Scotland,because by that point he was completely exhausted,and when doctors told him not to go he had the sense to listen.It wasn't about being self-centered,it was just sense.I'm sure he would've liked very much to go-a parade celebrating the achievements of everyone would actually probably have been very suited to someone of Andy's shy personality,where he could take part in the fun without having to deal with all of the attention being on him-not to mention feel that joy he had in playing his role as part of a team,which we know he reveled in at the Olympics,because he said so himself!

Andy has frequently done things that are outside the comfort zone of a shy person-just look at the all the stuff he's done for charity,for example,the skits he's filmed poking fun at himself,the rally for relief he took part in last year-he has shown plenty of humour in those situations!

He actually does show plenty of personality in interviews,much more so now than he used to-when I see people talking about how he has no personality,what often springs to mind for me is that old phrase "There's none so blind as those who will not see"!

Andy's a lovely guy,who smiles when something actually makes him smile,he doesn't go around being fake.He works really hard when he's on court,as he should!My dad's a doctor,and he doesn't go around whistling and singing his way through operations!But when he's not working,he's a guy who loves a laugh.Just like Andy.When he wins,he reacts in a way that's true to himself.I'd take a quiet,truly joyful reaction from Andy over Nole's roaring and chest-beating,I can say that much!And I have to say-did you actually SEE Andy's reaction at the Olympics?He raced up to his box so he could share the joy of the moment with his loved ones,made a little boy's day on his way back by giving him a lovely,warm hug,and then actually jumped for joy.I'd say that's plenty of reaction right there!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #337 on: November 27, 2012, 04:51 PM »

Much has been said about Andy not being English.  Well nor is Rory McIlroy.  I am so impressed by his golf AND his personality, that when he is 2nd on the leader board and Luke Donald is top, I have to remind myself that Luke is English and that I should be rooting for him, but Rory is a more complete package, with his bubbly personality, that he wins me over.  Rory is a fairly shy person, but he managed to get on court and played a few balls against Maria Sharapova.  Andy COULD smile more (it costs nothing) and even that small gesture would win the hearts of so many more people.  My friends and relatives know I support Andy, but each and every one of them criticizes him for his dour disposition and for his lack of support for the Davis Cup Team.  He was missing from the post Olympic parade in London.  Missing from SPOTY.  Self-centred people are not  attractive to the outside world.  I think this perception in fact does bother Andy and a few tweeks here and there could make all the difference.  It's a sad state of affairs when the inner circles of Lendl and Andy have to convince the rest of us that they do have a humorous and friendly side to their personalities, when they could quite easily do that for themselves.  Can you imagine how wonderful it would have been if Andy could have reacted in a Stepanek kind of way when he won the Olympic gold and the US Open.  I know he was shocked when he won, but I reacted more than he did, jumping up and down in my front room !!

Andy was missing from the post Olympic parade in London because of one very important reason. He was in New York on the brink of winning his first major. What exactly was he supposed to do, ask if they could hold back the final another day so he could nip back across the Atlantic to take part in all the backslapping? Honestly! Those who think Andy was in Canada have got the parade confused with the closing ceremony. Believe me, Andy was in New York.

Andy has played a number of DC ties. You need to get it right though. Other countries have Davis Cup teams. We have Andy Murray. There is no way Andy can be expected to play DC all the time. Leon Smith knows that, and he accepts it. You should too. Leon Smith has already said he doesn't expect Andy to play in the next tie, because Andy's singles career, and getting to the top of the rankings, is more important for British tennis now than Davis Cup.

Andy is prioritising his training block in Miami over the SPOTY. Good for him too. He can't win, can he? Had he said he was going to the SPOTY and putting his training block on hold that would be criticised. So, he puts training first and that is wrong as well.

When Andy won the Olympic gold he went straight up to his team to celebrate, and then interacted with the crowd, jumping in to the air. It was lovely to see his delight. When he won the USO he had just played, and won, a match that was 4 hours and 54 minutes long. By the time it was done he could barely walk, let alone celebrate. Tell you what, next time we should demand he jumps the net, irrespective of how long he has played. Then, when he puts his back out and has to have six months off we can all have something genuine to complain about.

IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #338 on: November 27, 2012, 04:58 PM »

I don't see why Andy should smile more than he needs to? Wouldn't that be then forced?

What Andy can do is cut down the negativity on court a bit. Now that the demons are well behind him, he can definitely adopt a new positive attitude. He’s on the big stage and what he puts out there is very important. People really love positive attitude and tend to adore it even when they themselves are negative. I find it a great character trait when I see a person being in control of his or her negative emotion. Andy will be able to do it if he wants. I am not particularly bothered by it but I think he will be able to gain international love and support based on this adjustment.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #339 on: November 27, 2012, 04:59 PM »

Wiggins has it by a mile looking at the message boards. The thing is that every time i see Wiggins he acts like a little twat. It's the whole Federer thing again - the media tell us he is a decent guy and all the idiots follow along with this idea.

His wife Cath says Bradley her husband, is “considerate, patient, kind, brilliant with the kids” and Bradley the cyclist, is “a bit of a twat”.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/nov/25/bradley-wiggins-hermit-cameras

IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #340 on: November 27, 2012, 05:04 PM »

Well as I know Andy will not win I would vote for Ellie Simmonds the swimmer to my mind she truly deserves to be SPOTY. She has won 4 medals and broken two world records. She has a great heart and is a terrific person plus she has overcome difficulties in her life. A little person who has bags of courage and personality.
Go Ellie you are a smashing person.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #341 on: November 27, 2012, 05:07 PM »

Much has been said about Andy not being English.  Well nor is Rory McIlroy.  I am so impressed by his golf AND his personality, that when he is 2nd on the leader board and Luke Donald is top, I have to remind myself that Luke is English and that I should be rooting for him, but Rory is a more complete package, with his bubbly personality, that he wins me over.  Rory is a fairly shy person, but he managed to get on court and played a few balls against Maria Sharapova.  Andy COULD smile more (it costs nothing) and even that small gesture would win the hearts of so many more people.  My friends and relatives know I support Andy, but each and every one of them criticizes him for his dour disposition and for his lack of support for the Davis Cup Team.  He was missing from the post Olympic parade in London.  Missing from SPOTY.  Self-centred people are not  attractive to the outside world.  I think this perception in fact does bother Andy and a few tweeks here and there could make all the difference.  It's a sad state of affairs when the inner circles of Lendl and Andy have to convince the rest of us that they do have a humorous and friendly side to their personalities, when they could quite easily do that for themselves.  Can you imagine how wonderful it would have been if Andy could have reacted in a Stepanek kind of way when he won the Olympic gold and the US Open.  I know he was shocked when he won, but I reacted more than he did, jumping up and down in my front room !!

I sometimes wish Andy was self-centered but he is so not. He, in fact, cares too much about his surroundings. So either you haven’t really noticed Andy at all or you are just biased in your judgment. I take it it's the latter.

Andy did celebrate in a HUGE way after his Olympics win over Federer in the final. Where were you in those moments? There are thousands of pictures to vouch for it.

As to USO, what Andy showed there was also his true raw emotion - only he was too shocked to celebrate it in the most pompous way and that also made his reaction truly adorable. Come on, broaden your horizons. That's all it takes.

It seems your support of Andy comes with a lot of ifs and buts. If you are a true fan, it shouldn't come with all those conditions.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #342 on: November 27, 2012, 05:22 PM »

With friends like these Andy really doesn't need enemies does he?  I despair!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #343 on: November 27, 2012, 05:43 PM »

I can tell you this - even if Andy does everything right, there will be still something wrong about him with some people. I don't think you can win them all and I don’t think you should even try. Perhaps best to leave these sorts of comments alone.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #344 on: November 27, 2012, 05:49 PM »

Much has been said about Andy not being English.  Well nor is Rory McIlroy.  I am so impressed by his golf AND his personality, that when he is 2nd on the leader board and Luke Donald is top, I have to remind myself that Luke is English and that I should be rooting for him, but Rory is a more complete package, with his bubbly personality, that he wins me over.  Rory is a fairly shy person, but he managed to get on court and played a few balls against Maria Sharapova.  Andy COULD smile more (it costs nothing) and even that small gesture would win the hearts of so many more people.  My friends and relatives know I support Andy, but each and every one of them criticizes him for his dour disposition and for his lack of support for the Davis Cup Team. He was missing from the post Olympic parade in London.  Missing from SPOTY.  Self-centred people are not  attractive to the outside world.  I think this perception in fact does bother Andy and a few tweeks here and there could make all the difference.  It's a sad state of affairs when the inner circles of Lendl and Andy have to convince the rest of us that they do have a humorous and friendly side to their personalities, when they could quite easily do that for themselves.  Can you imagine how wonderful it would have been if Andy could have reacted in a Stepanek kind of way when he won the Olympic gold and the US Open.  I know he was shocked when he won, but I reacted more than he did, jumping up and down in my front room !!

So was the favourite for the SPOTY, Bradley Wiggins.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »