Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 50245 times)
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #345 on: November 27, 2012, 06:41 PM »

Much has been said about Andy not being English.  Well nor is Rory McIlroy.  I am so impressed by his golf AND his personality, that when he is 2nd on the leader board and Luke Donald is top, I have to remind myself that Luke is English and that I should be rooting for him, but Rory is a more complete package, with his bubbly personality, that he wins me over.  Rory is a fairly shy person, but he managed to get on court and played a few balls against Maria Sharapova.  Andy COULD smile more (it costs nothing) and even that small gesture would win the hearts of so many more people.  My friends and relatives know I support Andy, but each and every one of them criticizes him for his dour disposition and for his lack of support for the Davis Cup Team.  He was missing from the post Olympic parade in London.  Missing from SPOTY.  Self-centred people are not  attractive to the outside world.  I think this perception in fact does bother Andy and a few tweeks here and there could make all the difference.  It's a sad state of affairs when the inner circles of Lendl and Andy have to convince the rest of us that they do have a humorous and friendly side to their personalities, when they could quite easily do that for themselves.  Can you imagine how wonderful it would have been if Andy could have reacted in a Stepanek kind of way when he won the Olympic gold and the US Open.  I know he was shocked when he won, but I reacted more than he did, jumping up and down in my front room !!

There is no  problem with Andy.    The problem is with people in this country who read too many tabloids and can no longer distinguish between real personalities and cardboard cutouts.    I would think after the revelations of recent weeks that it would benefit this country if we stopped idolising celebtrities and looked instead to real
"breath of fresh air" personalities like Andy.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #346 on: November 27, 2012, 07:23 PM »

There is no  problem with Andy.    The problem is with people in this country who read too many tabloids and can no longer distinguish between real personalities and cardboard cutouts.    I would think after the revelations of recent weeks that it would benefit this country if we stopped idolising celebtrities and looked instead to real
"breath of fresh air" personalities like Andy.
  Absolutely right. Andy's reaction to his two big wins this year are the mark of the man. No false posturing, no triumphalism, just humility.  Plus a bit of relief, as he said himself after the US Open. 
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #347 on: November 27, 2012, 07:33 PM »

Myself vs Murray haters on yet another facebook page!
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #348 on: November 27, 2012, 07:42 PM »

It's worth remembering that Andy gets a lot of praise from some quarters, including journalists, because he doesn't give glib answers and because he refuses to bend to the social insecurities of others.  There is definitely an issue in this country of people not seeing beyond the tabloid personality, but that's not just a problem Andy faces.  He's had it worse than many, but it's not unique to him.  The fact of the matter is that Andy is naturally an introvert, and there is nothing wrong with that.  More to the point, if you are naturally introverted, pretending to be extrovert is very, very hard work, and doesn't actually work.  The odds are, you'll come across as insincere.

Similarly, some people's "absent" expression is to smile.  For others, it's a neutral expression, which is interpreted incorrectly as being glum.  To sit and remember to smile for the sake of it doesn't "cost nothing".   Having said that, Andy does smile quite a lot, but now that he's got a reputation for never smiling, photo-editors like to pick photos of him not smiling, and it perpetuates the myth.   It's a bit like Posh Spice.  She has a reputation for never smiling, yet the people who know her insist she's funny and often smiling.  She jokes that they will take 100 photos of her, and print the one where she looks most miserable. 

And yes, he wasn't "missing" from the Olympic parade, although I grant you I saw a few hard of thinking having a got at him for that.  He prioritises his training ahead of a showbiz bash - so what?  It might lower his chances of winning the award, but a lot of people respect him all the more for it.  Probably not the sort of person who votes in SPOTY, but again - so what?

The inner circles of Andy and Lendl don't "have to" convince the rest of us they do have a humorous and friendly side to their personalities.  Some of them choose to, as do journalists and those who have worked with them, but that's because it's what they see in real life, and it isn't matched by what they read.  It's what I see too, because the evidence is all there to be seen if you aren't too blinkered to think that anyone who doesn't act like Gazza is a miserable git.  Andy has a dry sense of humour, which isn't to everyone's tastes, and far too subtle for some to even spot, but some of us think that slap-stick is banal.

Speaking of which, perhaps now is a good time to post a link to this brilliant Charlie Brooker piece from the Summer, which I presume was posted at the time, but seems pertinent now.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jul/08/andy-murray-not-miserable-just-normal

At the end of the day, Andy is a professional tennis player, not a children's entertainer.  And while Gazza may have been super-popular with the tabloids and general public, a real "man of the people", it turned out that he suffers from severe depression, alcohol addiction, and was violent towards his wife.   Gurning for the camera is not guarantee of character.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #349 on: November 27, 2012, 07:52 PM »

I will vote for andy because he deserves to win but I wil not watch the programme because I don't expect him to get it.  I do think he works harder than all the other nominees but as someone has already said its a personality contest and unfortunately thanks to the media you have to be a real andy fan to know what a great guy he is. 
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #350 on: November 27, 2012, 08:06 PM »

Well done you!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #351 on: November 27, 2012, 08:19 PM »

I concur
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #352 on: November 27, 2012, 08:23 PM »

Why anyone would give 2 hoots about SPORTY I don't know. It's more of a exercise in PR than actual sporting merit.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #353 on: November 27, 2012, 08:47 PM »

Having said that, Andy does smile quite a lot, but now that he's got a reputation for never smiling, photo-editors like to pick photos of him not smiling, and it perpetuates the myth.

That's a very,very good point Sparkle.I remember a while back seeing pictures of Andy & Kim taken on holiday-it must have been a good while back seeing as he hasn't taken a holiday in ages now!

Anyway,there were a ton of articles about it,and they all used the same one or two pics,Andy playing on some game console,not appearing to be paying any attention to Kim.And of course,all the articles were all about how bored poor Kim must be,how she'd already ended things with him once before because of his "video-game addiction",all that stupid sort of stuff.

But there were actually way more pictures taken that day,and most of them showed Andy chatting away to Kim,posing for her while she took a picture,etc.They looked like any other happy young people away for a break.But of course,none of those pictures were used!Only the ones that perpetuated the "immature video-game obsession" myth.

It's just one little example,but it does show how someone can easily be misrepresented.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #354 on: November 27, 2012, 08:48 PM »

Well DONE Prodigy!Very well said Smile
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #355 on: November 27, 2012, 09:09 PM »

That's a very,very good point Sparkle.I remember a while back seeing pictures of Andy & Kim taken on holiday-it must have been a good while back seeing as he hasn't taken a holiday in ages now!

Anyway,there were a ton of articles about it,and they all used the same one or two pics,Andy playing on some game console,not appearing to be paying any attention to Kim.And of course,all the articles were all about how bored poor Kim must be,how she'd already ended things with him once before because of his "video-game addiction",all that stupid sort of stuff.

But there were actually way more pictures taken that day,and most of them showed Andy chatting away to Kim,posing for her while she took a picture,etc.They looked like any other happy young people away for a break.But of course,none of those pictures were used!Only the ones that perpetuated the "immature video-game obsession" myth.

It's just one little example,but it does show how someone can easily be misrepresented.

Of course if it was SmugFed playing video games in a picture with Mirka, they'd all claim how he plays video games with her or he deserves it after a long year on tour and Mirka allows it or something like that...
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #356 on: November 27, 2012, 09:13 PM »

I really think Andy will do much better on an International level in the future. There won't be as many conflicts to start with.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #357 on: November 27, 2012, 09:27 PM »

does anyone know the URL to go to to vote for Andy?
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #358 on: November 27, 2012, 09:50 PM »

Feel free to add me to Facebook if you want btw Surprised
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #359 on: November 27, 2012, 09:59 PM »

According to SkyBet its a shoe-in for Wiggins. Andy isn't even 2nd favourite. I think Andy would have had to win all 4 Slams and the Olympics to have won this.

Bradley Wiggins 4/11    Mo Farah 4/1
Andy Murray 15/2    Jessica Ennis 8/1
David Weir 33/1    Ellie Simmonds 50/1
Rory McIlroy 80/1    Sir Chris Hoy 100/1
Ben Ainslie 150/1    Nicola Adams 150/1
Katherine Grainger 200/1    Sarah Storey 200/1
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »