Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 49413 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #360 on: November 27, 2012, 10:02 PM »

does anyone know the URL to go to to vote for Andy?
It's a phone vote and only available to those living in the UK unfortunately.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #361 on: November 28, 2012, 01:15 AM »

Myself vs Murray haters on yet another facebook page!
Excellent PE. Smile  Sadly we could probably go on indefinitely pointing out these things to the thick as s**t Murray haters and it won't have any effect - but we'll keep on trying anyway!

Why anyone would give 2 hoots about SPORTY I don't know. It's more of a exercise in PR than actual sporting merit.
I've no objection to SPOTY as such, just the awful glitzy-glam way the programme is presented, which to me demeans great sporting achievements.

According to SkyBet its a shoe-in for Wiggins. Andy isn't even 2nd favourite. I think Andy would have had to win all 4 Slams and the Olympics to have won this.
I've looked at a few lists and they're all different, apart from one thing - Andy isn't tipped to win it although he does tend to come near the top.

I really do think that in Olympic years they should have three awards - for the Olympians, the Paralympians and sporting achievements outside of these two events.  Apart from the fact that Andy might, just might, have won the third category because of his GS win, that seems the only fair way to me. 

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #362 on: November 28, 2012, 01:24 AM »

This was published on the BBC website on Monday, and gives all the information about the programme, shortlist, etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sports-personality/20466947
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #363 on: November 28, 2012, 02:28 AM »

According to SkyBet its a shoe-in for Wiggins. Andy isn't even 2nd favourite. I think Andy would have had to win all 4 Slams and the Olympics to have won this.

Bradley Wiggins 4/11    Mo Farah 4/1
Andy Murray 15/2    Jessica Ennis 8/1
David Weir 33/1    Ellie Simmonds 50/1
Rory McIlroy 80/1    Sir Chris Hoy 100/1
Ben Ainslie 150/1    Nicola Adams 150/1
Katherine Grainger 200/1    Sarah Storey 200/1

Do you think they will all attend?

I have to say I would have been very surprised if Andy had changed his schedule.  The off-season is just too important. I've no doubt he will be criticised by some for not showing up but he really should be applauded for continuing to do what is best for him and his career.

I think Wiggins will win it. I know he's popular but I can't can't take to him at all.  I'm not keen on Ben Ainslie either.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #364 on: November 28, 2012, 02:33 AM »

Simon Reed has predicted Andy has no chance. If you've heard of 'The Curse of Simon Reed,' then this can only be good news. lol (If you don't know.. his predictions are inordinately incorrect.)

Wrong year for Murray to win SPOTY

I would love it if Andy Murray won the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award, but I just can't see it happening.

On a personal level I would be delighted if Andy took the award, as anything that's good for tennis is good for me. But, despite winning the US Open and the Olympics — and the tears following his Wimbledon defeat — I don't think he will win it.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/simon-reed/wrong-murray-win-spoty-170942276.html
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #365 on: November 28, 2012, 06:53 AM »

TBH think it will be Wiggo or Mo and I like them both.  Big interview with Wiggo in the Guardian a few weeks ago and he came across as a lovely bloke. And Mo is incredibly charismatic.
Ainslie is like Andy, a bit too shy and private to appeal to the masses.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #366 on: November 28, 2012, 08:22 AM »

there's currently a poll on guardian website which closes tomorrow. Wiggins way out in front, Andy 2nd. Go vote everyone to boost his showing though he won't go 1st of course
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #367 on: November 28, 2012, 10:47 AM »

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/sir-chris-hoy-to-miss-bbc-s-spoty-event-but-speaks-up-for-bradley-wiggins-1-2662922
IP Logged
Jayel
Junior

IT JUST GETS BETTER

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #368 on: November 28, 2012, 10:57 AM »

All of the contenders are backed up by a coaching team, physios etc but surely Bradley Wiggins, great as he is,owes the Tour de France to the actions of the whole Sky Team in controlling the peleton and safeguarding thier nominated man?  Still it is very encouraging to see that Andy is in the leading bunch here!
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #369 on: November 28, 2012, 11:07 AM »

Hate the negativity it's throwing up - with Andy getting more than his fair share as usual.

[apologies if this has already been posted] But this is a nice 'blast from the past' - a clip which includes Andy getting his Young SPOTY award in 2004. Bless!   http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sports-personality/15214976
[ Last edit by matchpoint November 28, 2012, 11:11 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #370 on: November 29, 2012, 03:06 AM »

All of the contenders are backed up by a coaching team, physios etc but surely Bradley Wiggins, great as he is,owes the Tour de France to the actions of the whole Sky Team in controlling the peleton and safeguarding thier nominated man?  Still it is very encouraging to see that Andy is in the leading bunch here!
I feel the same way about Wiggins, but he did have to do the pedalling on his own, so I guess it's a testament to his physical endurance.

[apologies if this has already been posted] But this is a nice 'blast from the past' - a clip which includes Andy getting his Young SPOTY award in 2004. Bless!   http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sports-personality/15214976
Andy's hair ... and that tie ... Very Happy
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #371 on: November 29, 2012, 07:37 AM »

Do you think they will all attend?
Chris Hoy was on the radio the other day saying he won't be going as he's going to be training in Perth (Australia), but he has been doing the media rounds since his nomination to talk about it.  He has been saying he doesn't think he stands a chance of winning though.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #372 on: November 29, 2012, 08:22 AM »

^^ Well it wouldn't do to be splitting the cyclists' votes would it? Hence no Laura Trott added to the list either. Or am I being too cynical?
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/sir-chris-hoy-to-miss-bbc-s-spoty-event-but-speaks-up-for-bradley-wiggins-1-2662922 [EDIT: oops! just seen that prodigy has already posted this link above]

Hope to read of someone speaking up for Andy and his achievements this year.....
[ Last edit by matchpoint November 29, 2012, 08:29 AM ] IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #373 on: November 29, 2012, 10:48 AM »

I bought a copy of Radio Times - there are 12 different covers, so I've got the grinning Andy one.

They ask each of the contenders "Who would be your Sports Personality?"

Briefly - Jessica Ennis, would like Mo because he's a good friend, but there are also Paralympians, but if really pushed would have to say Bradley Wiggins because of the T de F and the OG.

Andy Murray: It's been an amazing year for British Sport....hope it will be a celebration of what we, as a nation, have achieved. ...lots of great moments but if I have to pick a favourite it was probably the Super Saturday when Mo, Jess, Greg all got gold. It was so inspiring.

Chris Hoy: It should be Bradley Wiggins, but I say that cringing, because then i think about Andy Murray, then about Katherine Grainger"

Mo Farah: I want to win it myself!

Ben Ainslie: Very tough call, but I wouls say Bradley Wiggins deserves it most. Has been a bit hidden in the shadows beheind Chris Hoy before.

Sarah Storey: Bradley Wiggins - seeing him win T de F and OG before we started competeing really inspired us....

Nicola Adams: I'd love to see a woman win, so it would be great for Jessica Ennis to be recognised....

Rory McIlroy: "Well obviously I'd like to win, but I think the competition is far too strong. I'm a big tennis fan, so I'd like to see Andy Murray win. Andy winning gold at the Olympics was huge, and that was a stepping stone to what he achieved in the US Open. A monkey off his back, a great player and hopefully the first of many Grand Slam titles for him"

Ellie Simmonds: I would pick Mo farah for his sheer determination and fantastic achievement of pulling off the double gold.

David Weir: i'd love to see Bradley Wiggins win it, but it would be great if someone from the paralympics was recognised - Ellie Simmonds or myself, although i shouldn't really say that!

Kathryn Grainger: This year was all about girl power. Jessica Ennis would be a worthy winner...

Bradley Wiggibns - doesn't seem to have been asked.

So - good for Rory, who probably understands a bit more about the life of a tennis player than the rest!
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #374 on: November 29, 2012, 10:51 AM »

I feel the same way about Wiggins, but he did have to do the pedalling on his own, so I guess it's a testament to his physical endurance.

Andy's hair ... and that tie ... Very Happy
   And a Blue Peter badge too! Bet he's dead proud of that. Wonder why it wasn't gold - not sure what the protocol is there.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »