Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 52455 times)
scotsgeek28
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #420 on: December 13, 2012, 08:07 PM »

Alas Andy will not win, which when you look back at some of the former winners in less lean years seems absurd.  Any other year than this and he would be a shoe-in for the award, but we have had an exceptional summer.  I doubt he will even make the top three. Ennis, Wiggins and Farah will all come ahead of him, probably Wiggo first, Mo second and Jessica third.

I would love to see him win it, hopefully next year when he does a grand slam clean sweep!

Anyway, I assume he isn't coming back from Miami for it anyway.  Best chance he has is if Scotland goes crazy voting for him, but the truth is both Mo and Wiggo have a much broader popular appeal.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #421 on: December 14, 2012, 07:19 AM »

he could come first. have faith ruthie!
No I think this is a time for realism prodigyeng but let's try and get him 2nd.  I'd be pleased with that given the stiffness of the competition.  The pieces in today's papers can only help.
 LB the numbers aren't given out until after the programme starts.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #422 on: December 14, 2012, 09:53 AM »

Andy will get my three votes. I'll be pushing my kids to vote for him too, even my wife! You just never know, but Andy's training block is more imprortant now. Is it not strange that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have all won BBC SPOTY (Overseas). Yet we are doubtfull for our Andy!
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #423 on: December 14, 2012, 11:52 AM »

SPOTY winners number forty-five English winners of the award, four Scottish, four Welsh, three Irish,and one Manx (current holder Mark Cavendish).

These figures show how difficult it is for non English sports stars to win. With past greats like Jimmy Clark (F1), Kenny Dalglish (Football) and Stephen Hendry (7 times World Snooker Champion) failing to win while fellow snooker player Steve Davis has finished in the top three a record five times.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #424 on: December 14, 2012, 11:55 AM »

I don't think Andy will win, but how I would love to be proved wrong!

It's a shame really that in this year of such great sporting success for GB they decided to go ahead with the SPOTY. I think it would have been better to have done something showing all of the success we have had, rather than awarding one individual over others.

I still think Andy deserves it though, I really do.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #425 on: December 14, 2012, 12:02 PM »

I think the BBC might surprise us and there maybe something different on the show. But they are now committed to a single overall winner.
IP Logged
clementine
Satellite Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #426 on: December 14, 2012, 12:28 PM »

I'll be voting like crazy for Andy, as will my family and friends.  He's worth it.  He's given us so much to be happy and proud of  throughout his career but, boy, 2012 has been off the scale.  I knew he'd set his heart on that gold medal and it was clear that his focus coming into the most important summer of his life was beyond intense.  It was like he cracked the code, everything clicked into place, his magical talent shone through and it all looked magnificently easy and natural.  The way Andy served out for that Olympic title will remain in my mind for ever.   An extraordinary, unique, moment in the history of sport, a British man winning the Olympic Gold Medal for Great Britain on the hallowed turf of Centre Court at Wimbledon against a tennis legend.

And then, wondrously, our inspired super hero went to New York and fought tooth and nail all the way into tennis's history books to capture his first major.  It didn't look quite so easy this time, but Andy is no stranger to adversity, and he overcame everything in his path to the ultimate sweetest glory.  Those of us who support Andy have just lived through the most exquisite and delicious year.  2012 has seen Andy Murray soar to the dizziest heights of a sport that is so highly regarded right now.  Andy's timing is impeccable, he had to get it just right.  He alone had the rarest of chances, a one-off chance to be crowned Olympic champion in his own country,  And he did it.  New York was the icing on the cake.  

And as for personality, where do we begin?  His beautiful face plastered all over the front and back pages of every newspaper and magazine, his emotional speech at Wimbledon, his moment with Henry, his joyful embraces with his family and team, his Mock the Week appearance, sinking to his knees in New York... dignity, humility and soul.  And he is ours, all ours, to be proud of. What a guy, what a year.   wub
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #427 on: December 14, 2012, 01:03 PM »

I'll be voting like crazy for Andy, as will my family and friends.  He's worth it.  He's given us so much to be happy and proud of  throughout his career but, boy, 2012 has been off the scale.  I knew he'd set his heart on that gold medal and it was clear that his focus coming into the most important summer of his life was beyond intense.  It was like he cracked the code, everything clicked into place, his magical talent shone through and it all looked magnificently easy and natural.  The way Andy served out for that Olympic title will remain in my mind for ever.   An extraordinary, unique, moment in the history of sport, a British man winning the Olympic Gold Medal for Great Britain on the hallowed turf of Centre Court at Wimbledon against a tennis legend.

And then, wondrously, our inspired super hero went to New York and fought tooth and nail all the way into tennis's history books to capture his first major.  It didn't look quite so easy this time, but Andy is no stranger to adversity, and he overcame everything in his path to the ultimate sweetest glory.  Those of us who support Andy have just lived through the most exquisite and delicious year.  2012 has seen Andy Murray soar to the dizziest heights of a sport that is so highly regarded right now.  Andy's timing is impeccable, he had to get it just right.  He alone had the rarest of chances, a one-off chance to be crowned Olympic champion in his own country,  And he did it.  New York was the icing on the cake. 

And as for personality, where do we begin?  His beautiful face plastered all over the front and back pages of every newspaper and magazine, his emotional speech at Wimbledon, his moment with Henry, his joyful embraces with his family and team, his Mock the Week appearance, sinking to his knees in New York... dignity, humility and soul.  And he is ours, all ours, to be proud of. What a guy, what a year.   wub

clap clap  Yep that's oor boy!
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #428 on: December 14, 2012, 04:22 PM »

Ok, how do we actually vote for him?
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #429 on: December 14, 2012, 05:04 PM »

You have to phone. The number will not be shown until the show starts on Sunday night  on the BBC then you can vote.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #430 on: December 14, 2012, 05:11 PM »

Clementine: wonderful post.  Sums it up so well.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #431 on: December 14, 2012, 05:45 PM »

Ok, how do we actually vote for him?

Voting will only be available by phone (and only from the UK, so I don't think you'll be able to vote unless you're over here - sorry Zarfeen). There is no voting via the BBC Sport website, email, red button or by text.

There are different numbers for mobiles and landlines to keep charges around 15p.

Then just hit redial......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sports-personality/19997397

Funny to hear Gary Lineker saying that when he was nominated in 1986 it was by postal vote - imagine doing that now!

Nice post Clementine. Whatever happens on Sunday, the debate, the articles and even the comments below the articles have been great. It will be interesting to see how many votes there are this year compared to previously. Last year there were only 340,000, and Mark Cavendish got half of them. I think there might be more this year!
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #432 on: December 14, 2012, 05:54 PM »

Love your post Clementine.   I'll vote the Irish way - early and often - I'll put one in for you Zarfeen and anyone else who can't vote.    Probably won't work however hard we try and I wish there was some way to let Andy know he's our Spoty not just this year but every year. 
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #433 on: December 14, 2012, 06:07 PM »

Thanks so much for that offer Iluvandy-can I please take you up on that and ask you to vote for me?I wish so much I could vote myself.I do know that in all likelihood he probably won't win,not this year,but I do think he so deserves it,and if he won't actually win,I still hope he gets loads of the voting percentage.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #434 on: December 14, 2012, 06:25 PM »

My friend is working on the show as he got a placement on it. I wish I'd of submitted my favourite moment in time as I'd be working on it too most likely. Hopefully he can find out the number for me beforehand!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »