Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 51642 times)
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #435 on: December 14, 2012, 06:56 PM »

Thanks so much for that offer Iluvandy-can I please take you up on that and ask you to vote for me?I wish so much I could vote myself.I do know that in all likelihood he probably won't win,not this year,but I do think he so deserves it,and if he won't actually win,I still hope he gets loads of the voting percentage.

I'll certainly put in a vote on your behalf Dani.    Like you I think if he doesn't win I want him to get loads of votes.

IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #436 on: December 14, 2012, 07:02 PM »

I'll certainly put in a vote on your behalf Dani.    Like you I think if he doesn't win I want him to get loads of votes.
Thank you so much!Really appreciate it Smile
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #437 on: December 15, 2012, 09:16 AM »

Seems that Andy is tipped to be 4th according to Labrokes. We must get him into top 3.  The results for those not in top 3 are not usually announced but just posted on line though perhaps they'll do it differently this year given such a strong field.
IP Logged
ally
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #438 on: December 15, 2012, 09:45 AM »

Loved your post Clementine. 

Will be putting plenty of votes in myself tomorrow.  Hubby will be at work so I can use his votes too!
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #439 on: December 15, 2012, 10:58 AM »

Well I know where my vote's going; and I too, really hope he gets into the top 3.

Huh. In yesterday's Times it says: " 'Cycling News' has launched a "call to arms" for each reader to convince five friends to vote for Wiggins."

But however he does, no-one can take away his massive achievements this year. And I love his quote: that now [he has won a Slam] "I can just go out and play and see what more I can achieve."
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #440 on: December 15, 2012, 11:55 AM »

It's interesting that in just the last few days some sports journalists (and not just the tennis ones) have been pointing out that Andy is more deserving because not only is he a more rounded sportsman than most of his rivals, but his achievements come against some of the finest opposition tennis has ever seen.  They bravely point out that cycling isn't in a golden era, in fact it's in a weak era.  That doesn't make winning TdF easy, but it makes the debate more complicated than "first man ever", or "only one TdF a year", which has been foundations of the lobby for Wiggins.

I think this kind of debate is a bit late for the general public to sit up and notice, but it's nice to have the complexities and difficulties of Andy's achievements spelled out.  Tennis fans have been a bit too polite and understated so far!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #441 on: December 15, 2012, 01:02 PM »

Part of our difficulty I fear is that we can't count on all tennis fans voting for Andy whereas I suspect all cycling fans will be voting for Wiggins.
Ultimately I don't think it's going to bother Andy too much but for reasons such as those put forward by Sparkle I do think he deserves to win. And not even to make top 3 would seem unfair.   I think Andy was right to argue that they should simply celebrate British sport's achievements this year and not try and pick a winner out of such a strong field.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/sports-personality-of-the-year/9745095/BBC-Sports-Personality-of-the-Year-2012-Time-to-reward-magical-Andy-Murray.html

Good case made by Simon Briggs in the Telegraph.  Noticed they had a special SPOTY supplement when out shopping so thought I'd check it out on line.  Apologies if already posted but don't recall reading it.
[ Last edit by Ruthie December 15, 2012, 01:08 PM ] IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #442 on: December 15, 2012, 01:11 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2248411/Sports-Personality-Andy-Murray-deserves-award--Martin-Samuel.html?ito=email-sportnewsletter-20121215
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #443 on: December 15, 2012, 01:12 PM »

Voting will only be available by phone (and only from the UK, so I don't think you'll be able to vote unless you're over here - sorry Zarfeen). There is no voting via the BBC Sport website, email, red button or by text.

I was hoping to vote via the BBC sports website and tried to see any link but you're right, Elena. It isn't possible. It would be lovely if they add that kind of system also next year or something..

Love your post Clementine.   I'll vote the Irish way - early and often - I'll put one in for you Zarfeen and anyone else who can't vote.    Probably won't work however hard we try and I wish there was some way to let Andy know he's our Spoty not just this year but every year.  

Thank you so much Iluvandy!!
You just made me so happy hug
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #444 on: December 15, 2012, 01:19 PM »

I think they deliberately don't supplement the phone vote with an online poll, because online polls are too easy to rig, and to make sure votes only come from UK lines etc.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #445 on: December 15, 2012, 01:19 PM »

Part of our difficulty I fear is that we can't count on all tennis fans voting for Andy whereas I suspect all cycling fans will be voting for Wiggins.
Ultimately I don't think it's going to bother Andy too much but for reasons such as those put forward by Sparkle I do think he deserves to win. And not even to make top 3 would seem unfair.   I think Andy was right to argue that they should simply celebrate British sport's achievements this year and not try and pick a winner out of such a strong field.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/sports-personality-of-the-year/9745095/BBC-Sports-Personality-of-the-Year-2012-Time-to-reward-magical-Andy-Murray.html

Good case made by Simon Briggs in the Telegraph.  Noticed they had a special SPOTY supplement when out shopping so thought I'd check it out on line.  Apologies if already posted but don't recall reading it.

Times carrying a big splash in its Sports section about Wiggins , and a very cheap shot against Andy by Gabby Logan in a piece in the main paper playing to the AntiAndy lobby, attributing to him " the monotone of the terminally bored, and the elegance of a stuffed pike, but this was his year".   If you're going for an insult, at least make it witty. Stupid female dog.
[ Last edit by Fiverings December 15, 2012, 02:21 PM ] IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #446 on: December 15, 2012, 02:17 PM »

Sparkle is right. Online voting could easily be hacked and we'd have a random as hell winner if there was online voting.

Gabby Logan is an awful broadcaster, tries to get her ugly mug on every show possible and thinks she's knowledgeable about the sport. Stupid slut. Balding rocks.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #447 on: December 15, 2012, 02:40 PM »

I think they deliberately don't supplement the phone vote with an online poll, because online polls are too easy to rig, and to make sure votes only come from UK lines etc.

You are right Sparkle...but right now, I am not complaining cuz Iluvandy is gonna vote for me too !!! Very Happy
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #448 on: December 15, 2012, 03:19 PM »

And in The Times, as well as Logan's negativity, is this tripe in the Review section:
"Naturally it is the members of Team GB, both Olympians and Paralympians, who dominate. The golfer Rory McIlroy is the only non-Olympian on the shortlist, unless you count Andy Murray - although he did win an Olympic gold medal, his nomination is mainly for becoming the first Brit since Fred Perry to win a Grand Slam."

Think Andy will be doing well if he gets in the top 3, with such ridiculous comments in the media.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #449 on: December 15, 2012, 04:26 PM »

And in The Times, as well as Logan's negativity, is this tripe in the Review section:
"Naturally it is the members of Team GB, both Olympians and Paralympians, who dominate. The golfer Rory McIlroy is the only non-Olympian on the shortlist, unless you count Andy Murray - although he did win an Olympic gold medal, his nomination is mainly for becoming the first Brit since Fred Perry to win a Grand Slam."

Think Andy will be doing well if he gets in the top 3, with such ridiculous comments in the media.
how insulting to suggest that Andy is a non-Olympian.  Is his gold medal less gold somehow?  Or his silver less silver?  And Wiggins isn't nominated because of the Olympics.
And as for Gaby Logan's snide comment, well best to be treated with the contempt it deserves.
It is interesting though that despite the bookies and despite these kinds of comments, the only two actual polls I've seen - Guardian and Radio Times -have had Andy come 2nd and a good 2nd in case of Radio Times. I'd have thought those voting on RT website would be quite a cross section of those voting in the real thing tomorrow.  So don't let's give up hope yet for 2nd or 3rd place.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »