Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 52079 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #615 on: December 17, 2012, 01:15 AM »

Thought Gary's Spanish wasn't bad, though.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #616 on: December 17, 2012, 01:44 AM »

Steven‏@GBtennis
 Re. those voting figure RTs - Andy got more votes this year than Cav got when he won SPOTY in 2011 (and 12x what he himself got last year)

Steven‏@GBtennis
 ... all of which seems to suggest that Andy would win SPOTY without much problem if he won a slam in a non-Olympic year

----------------------

...Meanwhile Federer won the Swiss version for the first time since 2007. Didn't even win it in 2005 apparently, despite winning two slams. Is he not that popular over there?
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #617 on: December 17, 2012, 04:16 AM »

He's won it 5 times though
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #618 on: December 17, 2012, 07:27 AM »

You're really upset aren't you?

It's not as if the other winners were not equally as deserving... All 3 in the top 3 deserved the award.

honestly    what the hell did Jessica bloody Ennis the Mennis do that was so amazing.  2 GS finals 2 medals  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  1 gold medal,  as far as I'm concerned  Andy out shone every athlete on terms of achievements  this year,  it's just sad that not everyone saw this.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #619 on: December 17, 2012, 09:17 AM »

bloody land line keeps telling me the line isn't in service when it's not engaged - this is a conspiracy!  is anyone else having this problem?  am voting with mobile too but wanted to vote also with landline
That's exactly what I got Ruthie.......Kept dialling for the whole half hour and never got through once. Don't have a mobile!  Frown  Crazy only to allow half an hour for voting anyway and I'm really annoyed that Wiggins won it! If Andy didn't get it, I'd rather have had Mo or Jessica.........or Weir or little Elly! In fact, there were quite a few there, who I thought deserved it more!
IP Logged
althusser
Satellite Level

I Conquer

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #620 on: December 17, 2012, 09:33 AM »

don't have a problem with Ennis doing well - single gold dosent tell the full story - 7 events and winning makes you greatest female athlete in world
still, Muz merited to win, but third good in circumstances. loved his casual approach which was respectful and good natured, but still gave the message that he has bigger fish to fry. I'd take AO over this any day!
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #621 on: December 17, 2012, 09:53 AM »

I've just watched the presentation of the award on youtube,and while it's a bit of a shame that Lewis missed his cue,on the other hand Andy handled it really well,and it was actually a lovely,candid moment from him.

It was great to see him laughing and flashing that lovely grin (what a great kick in the teeth for the Murray-doesn't-smile brigade),and to see everyone laughing along with him (even if he couldn't actually hear them!).There's a lot of talk about that moment on twitter,and most of it's really positive about Andy Smile

I thought that was the best bit of the whole programme!!!!   So casual in the middle of all that hype and you can see how much Andy enjoys a bit of fun from that lovely grin.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #622 on: December 17, 2012, 10:05 AM »

Next year is a '2 horse race' already.....Andy v Rory and, judging by the this year's votes Andy is beating Rory 9:1.  Can't believe Rory only got 29k votes....world no.1, Major winner, winner of both European and US tours?????
IP Logged
jillypops

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #623 on: December 17, 2012, 10:17 AM »

I thought that Mackem with all his achievements Rory really didn't even feature
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #624 on: December 17, 2012, 10:23 AM »

BBC Breakfast this morning said Wiggo got 30% of the total vote - that's pretty convincing.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #625 on: December 17, 2012, 10:38 AM »

honestly    what the hell did Jessica bloody Ennis the Mennis do that was so amazing.  2 GS finals 2 medals  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  1 gold medal,  as far as I'm concerned  Andy out shone every athlete on terms of achievements  this year,  it's just sad that not everyone saw this.

Sadly, JK, other people don't see Andy the way we see his achievements and his genuine attitude to others
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #626 on: December 17, 2012, 10:43 AM »

If it's really about sport, Murray should have prevailed over Wiggins

You could easily have made a case for half a dozen different winners. And that’s just among those who didn’t make the top 12.

It is inevitable, then, that last night’s BBC Sports Personality of the Year victory for Bradley Wiggins will not represent the end of the debate.

Ah, how glorious it is to argue over which of Britain’s multi-talented, honour-laden, phenomenally successful sporting ambassadors should be named first among equals in a public poll.

Anyone who knows athletics understands how impossible it should have been for Mo Farah to do the distance double. Or how about Jess Ennis, THE face of London 2012, having missed Beijing through injury?

Chris Hoy, Britain’s greatest ever Olympian. The Paralympians who changed attitudes about disability in Britain — and beyond. All held a claim on the crown.

But, if it’s really about the sport, the prize should have gone to Andy Murray.

Put bluntly, he didn’t just succeed when it mattered — he also triumphed with the weight of history on his shoulders.

That is not something you could say about even Wiggins,  as remarkable achievement it was being the first British winner of the Tour de France.

While that historic victory will stand for the ages, it is not as if Wiggo has had to deal with years and years of endless questioning over when one of ‘our boys’ might finally end the wait for a Continent-conquering road warrior to emerge.

As much as we all celebrated the win by a fantastic athlete and all-round geezer, if he had finished runner-up or even ninth, the nation would have shrugged and moved on.

Murray? Every time he has ‘squandered’ a Grand Slam opportunity, the wailing and gnashing of teeth has been heard around the world. Oh, how could that serial Scottish loser possibly let Britain down again? He alone had lived with the ghost of Fred Perry, British angst, 1936 and all that.

And he’d failed in four Slam finals. No one had ever lost their first five. No other nominee can understand what it’s like to have lived under that kind of expectation for more than just a couple of weeks during one glorious sporting summer.

Let the debate continue, then. Enjoy it. We may never get the chance to argue like this again.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2249314/SPOTY-2012-Andy-Murray-won-Bradley-Wiggins.html
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #627 on: December 17, 2012, 10:57 AM »

If it's really about sport, Murray should have prevailed over Wiggins
Put bluntly, he didn’t just succeed when it mattered — he also triumphed with the weight of history on his shoulders.

Brilliant point. Thanks for posting Dani
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #628 on: December 17, 2012, 11:00 AM »

honestly    what the hell did Jessica bloody Ennis the Mennis do that was so amazing.  2 GS finals 2 medals  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  1 gold medal,  as far as I'm concerned  Andy out shone every athlete on terms of achievements  this year,  it's just sad that not everyone saw this.

Poster Girl for the Olympics, a lot of weight and expectation on her shoulders after Beijing disappointment, lived up to the hype in her 7 events and won gold. inspired plenty of young girls to start athletics and has a beaming personality. She deserves to be 2nd place.

I just wish people could accept 3rd place is great for Andy considering he was 4th favourite to win and still is considered by many to have no personality...
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #629 on: December 17, 2012, 11:00 AM »

Brilliant point. Thanks for posting Dani

No problem Fiverings!I was expecting all of the articles to be about how the right man won etc,so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that little piece Smile
[ Last edit by xxdanixx December 17, 2012, 11:04 AM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »