Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Friday, Time - 6:30pm GMT - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 51436 times)
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #645 on: December 17, 2012, 12:54 PM »

Thought Gary's Spanish wasn't bad, though.

Not altogether unsurprising, Nigel. Recall that when Lineker went to join Barcelona, he informed all concerned that he would learn to speak Spanish that he would be understood by his team mates.

Contrast his attitude with those of the other British football intellectuals who chose to play abroad eg Joey Barton
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #646 on: December 17, 2012, 01:38 PM »

Just for the record......I am 'very happy' with Andy getting 3rd place, as although I think he was as deserving as anyone, I knew he wouldn't win. The reason that I did not want Bradley Wiggins to get first place for winning the Tour De France.....and yes, I do know that he did other things as well, but that was the biggest, is because that was a 'team' effort! A 'planned' team effort! He did not do it alone! There was at least one other member of that team who could have won it, given the chance!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #647 on: December 17, 2012, 01:46 PM »

Just for the record......I am 'very happy' with Andy getting 3rd place, as although I think he was as deserving as anyone, I knew he wouldn't win. The reason that I did not want Bradley Wiggins to get first place for winning the Tour De France.....and yes, I do know that he did other things as well, but that was the biggest, is because that was a 'team' effort! A 'planned' team effort! He did not do it alone! There was at least one other member of that team who could have won it, given the chance!
There really wasn't. You could make an argument for Froome but none of the others. Wiggins was the best man on that tour, no questions asked. Just look at the Olympics, where he destroyed the individual time trial.

All of the top 4 were deserving and I wish people would stop trying to discredit all the others. It's impossible compare to sports. Equally they will be arguing that Murray has four grand slams a year whilst Ennis and Farah won an event that comes around every four years.

You could argue about this for days and ultimately everyone is heavily biased in favour of their own athlete/sport as they can fully appreciate their achievements, whilst knowing little about the other sports. Be honest, how many here know the ins and outs of cycling? There is a lot more to it than endurance (although endurance obviously plays a far bigger part to it than it does tennis).
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #648 on: December 17, 2012, 01:56 PM »

The fact that their is 4 grand slams every year and still no British winner for 76 years only proves what Andy did was a bigger achievement. Oh! and he won the tournement that only comes around once in four years!
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #649 on: December 17, 2012, 01:57 PM »

Uploading the show now. Should be here in around 235 minutes....
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #650 on: December 17, 2012, 01:59 PM »

The fact that their is 4 grand slams every year and still no British winner for 76 years only proves what Andy did was a bigger achievement. Oh! and he won the tournement that only comes around once in four years!

But you could also say that he has 4 more chances to win a major than Wiggins does, and you could argue that he has 16 more chances than Ennis to win a respective major, considering Ennis's big target is the Olympics......
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #651 on: December 17, 2012, 02:09 PM »

http://www.skybet.com/tv-and-film-specials/bbc-sports-personality/event/14697942?aff_id=7945&dcmp=snt-bet-SPOTY2013TFace

Murray early favourite for next years award Smile.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #652 on: December 17, 2012, 02:19 PM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/sports-personality-of-the-year/9750091/Sports-Personality-2013-Whos-in-the-frame-to-succeed-Bradley-Wiggins-next-year.html
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #653 on: December 17, 2012, 02:23 PM »

There really wasn't. You could make an argument for Froome but none of the others. Wiggins was the best man on that tour, no questions asked. Just look at the Olympics, where he destroyed the individual time trial.

All of the top 4 were deserving and I wish people would stop trying to discredit all the others. It's impossible compare to sports. Equally they will be arguing that Murray has four grand slams a year whilst Ennis and Farah won an event that comes around every four years.

You could argue about this for days and ultimately everyone is heavily biased in favour of their own athlete/sport as they can fully appreciate their achievements, whilst knowing little about the other sports. Be honest, how many here know the ins and outs of cycling? There is a lot more to it than endurance (although endurance obviously plays a far bigger part to it than it does tennis).
I'm not arguing TMH......just stating my opinion, which would have been the same, even if Andy hadn't been in the top 12! I know Wiggins won other things, but I don't think he would have won SPOTY 'without' the TDF. I think there are quite a few others who were more deserving! That's it!
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #654 on: December 17, 2012, 03:02 PM »

I don't really know enough about cycling road races to make a good argument but other tours are quite big like the Tour of Italy I'm told. I know that Brad wants to add it to his CV in May. So what I'm getting at is there is more than one shot at big road races in a year.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #655 on: December 17, 2012, 03:37 PM »

PE, only if he were to win Wimbledon
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #656 on: December 17, 2012, 03:40 PM »

He doesn't need to win Wimbledon to win the award...
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #657 on: December 17, 2012, 04:01 PM »

He doesn't need to win Wimbledon to win the award...

Do you want to bet on that?
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #658 on: December 17, 2012, 04:19 PM »

Do you want to bet on that?

Yep. Had he won the US Open any other year he woulda been a shoe in for the award..
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #659 on: December 17, 2012, 04:22 PM »

I agree I think he still has to win wimbledon to win SPOTY. Some people in tennis see it as the ultimate prize I don't know why. It still remains the holy grail in British Tennis personally I think it's just snobbery. If Andy wins other Grand Slams that is good enough for me.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »