Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 54039 times)
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #660 on: December 17, 2012, 04:44 PM »

Yep. Had he won the US Open any other year he woulda been a shoe in for the award..

Yes, but it's not any other year.

Andy's 2012 has been fantastic, but not in the eyes of the man in the street. If Andy were to win only one slam in 2013, but not Wimbledon, he would not necessarily win SPORTY 2013, as some other athlete would perform something exceptional, thereby topping Andy.

However, in Andy's own words: "I'm getting closer".
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #661 on: December 17, 2012, 05:13 PM »

Yes, but it's not any other year.

Andy's 2012 has been fantastic, but not in the eyes of the man in the street. If Andy were to win only one slam in 2013, but not Wimbledon, he would not necessarily win SPORTY 2013, as some other athlete would perform something exceptional, thereby topping Andy.

However, in Andy's own words: "I'm getting closer".

Because for the man in the street there's too many great achievements just to pick one. It's obvious there just gonna choose wiggo if undecided considering all the press he gets.
IP Logged
Bladder

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #662 on: December 17, 2012, 07:44 PM »

I tried to vote several times for Andy and was inform that no more calls were being accepted for that number and the last call was made ten minutes before Su Barker stated that the lines were now closed.
Sounded a bit fishy to me!
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #663 on: December 17, 2012, 08:24 PM »

Doubt Andy will ever win it. Largely because he never shows up to the awards.

Something to do with him getting locked in the loo the last time he went Lol.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #664 on: December 17, 2012, 08:31 PM »

Something to do with him getting locked in the loo the last time he went Lol.

Not to mention the sliiight matter of it clashing with off-season training haha!

Still,it was expected to really hurt his chances that he wasn't going this year,and he still placed third.Whether he goes on to win it or not,I don't think whether he attends or not is going to be the deciding factor with the majority of voters.They'll either want to vote for him or not,simple as.(And hopefully they will!)
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #665 on: December 17, 2012, 08:39 PM »

That's a good point. Tennis is effort + skill + co-ordination, whereas cycling and most athletics events are effort alone.
Tennis is one of the most well rounded sports requiring all of those things, and was the most rounded of the sports on the short-list, but I'd put heptathlon second, or possibly boxing. 

There is also the minor detail of natural talent.   Someone like Usain Bolt is almost all pure talent, with just enough physical conditioning to take advantage.  He admits he trains less hard than his competitors, but he doesn't need to.  There's only so much training you can do for 100m, and the only learned skill is getting out of the blocks.

A lot of the debate for this year's SPOTY has concentrated on the pure physical demands, but I think that was because cycling was so heavily represented, along with the compulsory rower.   A lot of the public respond well to a sport being impressive because it's tough.  It's harder to appreciate technical ability, and tennis players don't help themselves.    A talented tennis player knows how to disguise which shots they are playing, so the untrained eye won't know the half of what goes into building a typical rally.  They'll think it's the same shots repeated. 

I saw one person on another forum claiming that rowing requires just as much skill (as well as being the most physically demanding thing in the world) and that tennis players and golfer just practice the same shots over and over.  Rowers need technique and to balance and keep time!  That was their argument for why it's under-rated, not for why there isn't much to it beyond the strength and fitness.

I've seen cycling fans claim, in all sincerity, that tennis is just bashing big serves, and that cycling in a high speed pentalon without crashing into each other is more skillful.

Most people don't believe that, but I would say that most people under-estimate the physical demands of the modern game, and are clueless about 80% of the technical side of things.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #666 on: December 17, 2012, 08:58 PM »

Still,it was expected to really hurt his chances that he wasn't going this year,and he still placed third.Whether he goes on to win it or not,I don't think whether he attends or not is going to be the deciding factor with the majority of voters.They'll either want to vote for him or not,simple as.(And hopefully they will!)
I don't think it would make much difference for an obvious winner or if you have a clear favourite.  For floating voters, torn between two or three candidates they believe are deserving, it can easily be the deciding factor.

With more emphasis being put on letting the media have an insight into Andy's off-season training, the general public will appreciate it more, and there are a lot of sports fans who admire staying in training over a back-slapping knees-up, but they don't tend to vote as much as the people who treat sport as just another part of showbiz and a phone vote as if it's the X Factor.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #667 on: December 17, 2012, 09:01 PM »

IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #668 on: December 17, 2012, 09:10 PM »

I don't think it would make much difference for an obvious winner or if you have a clear favourite.  For floating voters, torn between two or three candidates they believe are deserving, it can easily be the deciding factor.

With more emphasis being put on letting the media have an insight into Andy's off-season training, the general public will appreciate it more, and there are a lot of sports fans who admire staying in training over a back-slapping knees-up, but they don't tend to vote as much as the people who treat sport as just another part of showbiz and a phone vote as if it's the X Factor.

You could well be right,but I'm taking the fact that he placed so high this year,in such a competitive lineup,when his non-attendance was predicted to be a negative factor,as an encouraging sign for the future.

People have started to get an insight into how hard he works,and hopefully will only gain more understanding of it in future,and now that the media have actually been and experienced what he's putting himself through over there,it's my hope that come other years they'll write more articles to clue people in.

Will it work?I can't know for sure,but I feel pretty confident that in a non-Olympic year,if Andy goes on to win another Slam (fingers crossed!) he will be one of the clear favourites to win.There'll be much less competition,and there'll be a much bigger spotlight shone on any big sporting achievements (which may grab the attention of those who view sport as a showbizzy thing!)

At that point I suppose it'll depend on who he'll be competing against.But I really do hope that at that point whether or not he's there won't be the deciding factor.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #669 on: December 17, 2012, 09:20 PM »

Andy was definitely a front-runner this year, so not actually being there was irrelevant for a lot of his potential voters, but I don't think there is any getting away from the fact that being there is going to positively influence some voters.  

Not being there was probably a much bigger factor for Rory not getting many votes as he wasn't part of the Olympics and his name barely got a mention in the debate leading up to the show.

Also in Andy's favour for the future, if he does win another slam, is that a lot of people have been saying "any other year" about him, which I think people will remember if they are torn between him and someone else in the future.

Regarding the credit for his training regime.  I think that's the kind of information that filters out.  The journalists there were plainly impressed, and a lot of people will have read those articles, but it's when they next see him play and a commentator talks about something they've read that it all sinks in, and they raise it when having a conversation about different sports.

Some of the nuggets about just how fast Andy can run are all incredibly impressive, and I was hoping that the VT would include a few rallies with Andy haring around the court to prove that point.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #670 on: December 17, 2012, 09:32 PM »

On a different but related topic, did I pick up correctly that all the gold medal winners are to be honoured in the New Year Honours list?  Any predictions on who'll get what?

IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #671 on: December 17, 2012, 09:33 PM »

Andy was definitely a front-runner this year, so not actually being there was irrelevant for a lot of his potential voters, but I don't think there is any getting away from the fact that being there is going to positively influence some voters.   

Not being there was probably a much bigger factor for Rory not getting many votes as he wasn't part of the Olympics and his name barely got a mention in the debate leading up to the show.

Also in Andy's favour for the future, if he does win another slam, is that a lot of people have been saying "any other year" about him, which I think people will remember if they are torn between him and someone else in the future.

Regarding the credit for his training regime.  I think that's the kind of information that filters out.  The journalists there were plainly impressed, and a lot of people will have read those articles, but it's when they next see him play and a commentator talks about something they've read that it all sinks in, and they raise it when having a conversation about different sports.

Some of the nuggets about just how fast Andy can run are all incredibly impressive, and I was hoping that the VT would include a few rallies with Andy haring around the court to prove that point.

I suppose the not-being-there factor will always raise it's head a bit.However,there's no getting around it,Andy is where he needs to be-and the SPOTY ceremony is definitely not it!I just hope that as time goes on,and hopefully Andy's accomplishments and hard work become more and more recognised,that it will become less and less of an issue,you know?And that it'll have less impact on whatever his future chances are.Fingers crossed for a bright '13,and a great (and hopefully winning?!) SPOTY '13 awards after that!
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #672 on: December 17, 2012, 09:36 PM »

On a different but related topic, did I pick up correctly that all the gold medal winners are to be honoured in the New Year Honours list?  Any predictions on who'll get what?

Perhaps but unsure. I'm guessing Wiggo and Murray will get the highest honors out of the lot
IP Logged
Jayel
Junior

IT JUST GETS BETTER

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #673 on: December 17, 2012, 09:48 PM »

That's a good point. Tennis is effort + skill + co-ordination, whereas cycling and most athletics events are effort alone.
[/quote}

OK but compare that with the techniques of say Shot Putting, Long Jumping, Hurdling etc etc effort alone would not get you anywhere. Personally I wanted Andy to win for so many reasons but Jessica Ennis was the thinking man's choice.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #674 on: December 17, 2012, 10:17 PM »

Damnit. Andy contributes to the 50 greatest olympic moments of 2012 on BBC3. I missed it! Will iplayer download and upload here.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »