Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson, Friday, Time: 12 noon BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 49662 times)
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #675 on: December 17, 2012, 10:26 PM »

Perhaps but unsure. I'm guessing Wiggo and Murray will get the highest honors out of the lot
Honours are normally about accumulated success, so it doesn't just have to be this year, which is good news for the likes of Ben Ainslee.  A few Olympians already have some kind of honour, so they are likely to get a promotion, so to speak.

I also think they'll temper the awards for the younger athletes who have more to give in the future.  I get the impression they regretted getting a bit awards crazy in the past, but I'm sure all gold medalists will be getting some kind of nod.

For context, Tim Henman has an OBE.  I'm not sure when he got his, as a lot of sports stars get an award as they retire to reflect their career as a whole rather than for a single event.  Andy over-took his achievements years ago, so I'd expect an OBE or CBE at this stage.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #676 on: December 18, 2012, 12:03 AM »

Damnit. Andy contributes to the 50 greatest olympic moments of 2012 on BBC3. I missed it! Will iplayer download and upload here.

I watched it earlier. Do you want to know what number he was?

There was the usual joke about him being British/Scottish. He was British when he won gold and Scottish when he won silver. Yawn. It never gets old. 
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #677 on: December 18, 2012, 12:05 AM »

I watched it earlier. Do you want to know what number he was?

There was the usual joke about him being British/Scottish. He was British when he won gold and Scottish when he won silver. Yawn. It never gets old. 

Yeah wouldn't mind knowing what number he was
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #678 on: December 18, 2012, 12:05 AM »

Timmy was presented with his award in 2004 - he was part of the New Year's honours list at the end of 2003.

His award is for services to lawn tennis.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-309451/Henman-nets-OBE-Queen.html

google

I'm sure that I've read somewhere that the Olympic games winners will have their own honours list this year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/paralympic-sport/paralympics-gb/9527095/London-2012-Olympics-Honours-list-just-for-Games-winners.html
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #679 on: December 18, 2012, 12:11 AM »

From twitter:

The Slice @TheSliceTweets

Murray's US Open win came 3rd in a vote of 2012 events that made Britons feel most proud to be British (1st Olympics, 2nd Queen’s Jubilee)

Just found a link..
http://metro.co.uk/2012/12/17/andy-murrays-us-open-victory-tops-national-pride-poll-ahead-of-bradley-wiggins-tour-de-france-win-3319965/
[ Last edit by IonaRed December 18, 2012, 12:15 AM ] IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #680 on: December 18, 2012, 12:16 AM »

Yeah wouldn't mind knowing what number he was

It was my no.1 moment but it was number 8.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #681 on: December 18, 2012, 01:52 PM »

Damnit. Andy contributes to the 50 greatest olympic moments of 2012 on BBC3. I missed it! Will iplayer download and upload here.

I didn't see all of this, it was a bit too tongue in cheek for me, but the bit about Andy was very good. There were a number of really great comments made about him.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #682 on: December 18, 2012, 02:53 PM »

From twitter:

The Slice @TheSliceTweets

Murray's US Open win came 3rd in a vote of 2012 events that made Britons feel most proud to be British (1st Olympics, 2nd Queen’s Jubilee)

Just found a link..
http://metro.co.uk/2012/12/17/andy-murrays-us-open-victory-tops-national-pride-poll-ahead-of-bradley-wiggins-tour-de-france-win-3319965/

that's pretty amazing especially when you think that it was only shown on Sky late at night/early hours of morning.  Have just voted and Andy ahead on Metro poll as well
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #683 on: December 18, 2012, 04:28 PM »

It was my no.1 moment but it was number 8.
Considering many people don't think tennis belongs in the Olympics, that's pretty damn good.

Also, I don't think anyone has said yet but big thanks to Prodigy for uploading the SPOTY awards programme.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #684 on: December 18, 2012, 05:18 PM »

Just watching the 50 Greatest Moments programme on iPlayer. They introduce McEnroe as "eight-time Wimbledon champion". Er, no he isn't.

I didn't realise it was the WHOLE Olympics, I thought it would just be top British moments for some reason. If Murray made #8 that's seriously impressive.

They've tried to make it a comedy show though with Greg James playing a really naive presenter with Gabby Logan. So incredibly cringeworthy. Jimmy Carr's one-liners are good though.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #685 on: December 18, 2012, 08:42 PM »

A lot of very nice words about Andy in this clip. Would be great if someone could the part featuring Andy?

Inverdale: "It was just electric, absolutely electric. I think that was the moment that Britain loved Andy Murray...

...What a phenomenal tennis player. In the greatest era of tennis, ever, and we've got a British player, right in the mix. We should be more proud of Andy than anybody else."

Dara O'Brein talks about Mock the Week and they show Murray at that episode briefly.

Jimmy Carr: "He has ruined jokes now."

Great little clip.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #686 on: December 18, 2012, 08:45 PM »

Considering many people don't think tennis belongs in the Olympics, that's pretty damn good.

Also, I don't think anyone has said yet but big thanks to Prodigy for uploading the SPOTY awards programme.

IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #687 on: December 20, 2012, 08:47 AM »

If it helps, Messi came third in Argentina's equivalent awards!

Andy has also been named fourth in this international (from the point of view of America) list of breakout sports stars of 2012.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ktlincoln/the-21-breakout-sports-stars-of-2012-were-most-ps
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #688 on: December 20, 2012, 09:13 AM »

Well I hadn't even heard of the 3 people above him!  How right they are that tennis could be the most exciting sport in the coming year.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #689 on: December 20, 2012, 12:41 PM »

Messi 3rd?!

I can only assume, like Federer, he's won it at least once before and that's on the public's mind when it comes to voting.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »