Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 50123 times)
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #720 on: August 18, 2013, 01:34 PM »

Sorry to go on folks, but it's a surefire certainty that Andy will win it !!!  Put your mortgage on it. Or, if your a bit skint, go to your local moneylender and get a wad to bet - what do you have to lose - 'cept maybe your kneecaps ?
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #721 on: August 18, 2013, 01:45 PM »

Sorry to go on folks, but it's a surefire certainty that Andy will win it !!!  Put your mortgage on it. Or, if your a bit skint, go to your local moneylender and get a wad to bet - what do you have to lose - 'cept maybe your kneecaps ?
  lmao
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #722 on: August 18, 2013, 02:05 PM »

He bloody better win it this year  ranting
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #723 on: August 18, 2013, 03:10 PM »

He bloody better win it this year  ranting

He will!
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #724 on: August 18, 2013, 04:35 PM »

I've just checked the odds at the online bookies.  Best price you can get for Andy is 28-1 ON!

It's simply no contest as far as the bookies are concerned.
Ladbrokes is currently quoting Mo as 4/5 odds on, Froome 2/1 and Murray 7/1.  All the other bookies have Murray streets ahead.  Need to get a bet with Labrokes !!!!!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #725 on: August 18, 2013, 04:46 PM »

Thanks FCR, might just do that before Flushing Meadows! The odds might change after that!  w00t
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #726 on: August 18, 2013, 09:03 PM »

Perhaps he could announce his marriage to Kim and that Maggie-May and Rusty are expecting puppies and win the aaahhh factor<vbg>
Get Kim knocked up aswell.  devil
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #727 on: August 18, 2013, 09:41 PM »

Froome won a bike race that was won by a Brit last year, big deal! Mo won the same two races that he won last year.  Andy won something that has not been done by a male Brit for 77 years.  There should only be one winner.
IP Logged
Moozza

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #728 on: August 19, 2013, 01:12 AM »

Ladbrokes is currently quoting Mo as 4/5 odds on, Froome 2/1 and Murray 7/1.  All the other bookies have Murray streets ahead.  Need to get a bet with Labrokes !!!!!

Think those are actually the odds for second place.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #729 on: August 19, 2013, 08:19 AM »

I am not a great fan of Bradley W - his spoilt brat behaviour when he realised if he took part in this years TDF he would have to play second fiddle to Froome did not show him in a good light.
I didn't buy into the injury excuse either.  I've never quite taken to him, and I felt his attitude towards the Olympians from less lucrative sports who dared to earn some money was really arrogant and downright nasty.  I also agree with the other posters who think that Froome may have won if given the chance last year, and this year's win was technically more impressive, but he'll be lucky to make the final five.  He's not really British (never actually lived here), and doesn't have the same kind of profile or PR connections as Wiggins.  I don't think the general public identifies with him or his achievements.

With Mo, his achievements are quite unique, and when you throw in his 1500 record, there is a lot to commend him, but the World Championships simply aren't as highly regarded as the Olympics, so I don't think there will be an automatic connection for the general public.   However, with the likes of Lord Coe suggesting he's now our greatest ever athlete, he's going to get a lot of backing.  I think there is a strong case for him, especially as he is very dominant in his sport, although standing against him is that he's not got anywhere near the World Record.

I don't think Andy needs to win the WTF to get votes, but not winning may be held against him by those lobbying against him.  People who don't follow tennis closely seem to think that you are doing something wrong if you don't win every tournament going.

As the strong, early, bookies favourite, many will presume Andy does deserve it.  Some will presume he'll get it, so won't bother voting.  A few more will see him as the man to beat, so he'll be the focus of negative campaigning by fans of others, or those that don't like him (of which there remains a few).
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #730 on: August 19, 2013, 09:50 AM »

Think those are actually the odds for second place.

Just checked...  that's correct.  It doesn't look like Ladbrokes are even offering a market on who will win.... 
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #731 on: August 19, 2013, 10:04 AM »

My money's on Kneedal....!!!
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #732 on: August 19, 2013, 12:21 PM »

My money's on Kneedal....!!!
Nadal can't win. Not British.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #733 on: August 19, 2013, 12:25 PM »

Nadal can't win. Not British.

Why not he is winning everything else. Since when have rules and protocol been relevant to Kneedal.

BTW - I was being facetious:-)
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #734 on: August 19, 2013, 12:48 PM »

I wondered for a few seconds when Mo won his golds but compare the amount of media coverage for that with that for Andy's Wimbledon win and I think you have the answer.  And I think Andy must still be favourite even if he doesn't defend his title or win WTF.  Remember for those who don't actually follow tennis, Wimbledon is the be all and end all. And those who do follow it will also want to recognise what was a phenomenal achievement.
I imagine Mo has a good chance of coming 2nd.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »