Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 46773 times)
dex
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #765 on: August 24, 2013, 05:10 PM »

No-one thinks Andy isn't properly British because he trained in Spain.  It's just a few thickos who get confused, and I doubt any of them have any real knowledge of Andy's history, except he's definitely not English.

It's just one of those funny years where all of the main contenders are not going to get the support of the EDL.  I don't think any of them would want it.

You've hit the nail on the head Sparkle Andy isn't English, and that's at the heart of all this English anti-Murray stuff.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #766 on: August 24, 2013, 05:51 PM »

Yeah, but most English people don't think that way.  Same as most English/Brits wouldn't discriminate Mo for being black, or not being born in the UK, or Muslim.  He's British by every meaningful measure, same as Wiggins, despite not being born here.  Same as Christine, despite her parents being Nigerian.

Froome stands out, because he didn't grow up in the UK, and to the best of my knowledge, has never actually lived here.

Basically, all of this year's front runners for SPOTY is going to cause a lot of head-scratching for the small-minded.  This makes me very happy.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #767 on: August 24, 2013, 06:48 PM »

You've hit the nail on the head Sparkle Andy isn't English, and that's at the heart of all this English anti-Murray stuff.
Funny how Anti Murray the crowd where in the Wimbledon Final. *sarcasm*
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #768 on: August 24, 2013, 07:06 PM »

Last English person, born in England, to win SPOTY was Zara Phillips in 2006. Don't know how that happened as she's a woman, but perhaps we make exceptions for royalty. More sarcasm.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Sports_Personality_of_the_Year_Award

Really - all this establishment/nationality/ethnicity etc stuff - do we have to go through all this again? UK population of 63 million can vote as many times as they like for whoever they like. I'll vote for Andy again, several times, for obvious reasons. I won't vote for Mo because I'm not that interested in athletics.

I think it's brilliant and hilarious that Ladbrokes paid out in July on Andy winning SPOTY:

The champion can still be backed at 1-20 with some bookmakers but Ladbrokes have decided to pay out and are taking bets only on the potential runner-up, with the cyclist Chris Froome, currently leading the Tour de France, favourite for second spot.

Other contenders for the runners-up prize include the golfer Justin Rose, who secured a first major title at the US Open last month and the England cricket captain, Alastair Cook.

"The decision was made as Murray won championship point," a Ladbrokes spokesman said. "He's been favourite all year and was backed into 1-16 during the final when we decided enough was enough. We thought we'd give our punters double the excitement and celebrations by giving them their winnings six months early.
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/jul/08/andy-murray-bbc-sports-personality
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #769 on: August 24, 2013, 07:19 PM »

Yes its a pity there wasn't a single transferable vote like we have in the Scottish elections then we could vote for all our favourites!
yes I'd been thinking that fiverings (and not just in the context of SPOTY!)
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #770 on: August 25, 2013, 12:55 PM »

Well I do hope he does. But I get really annoyed when those anti Scottish, English people come out of the woodwork. Perhaps English people who keep telling me that I am anti English will finally understand I am not anti English but pro Scots. Also that the population of Scotland is about 5.1/2 million we are a small nation who in my opinion have contributed more than enough to the UK. In the field of Medicine,Literature, Law, and Science we have kicked well above our weight for a small country.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #771 on: August 25, 2013, 04:23 PM »

I still don’t believe Andy is a fore going conclusion winner for SPOTY. He should be, but I would not be surprised if Alastair Cook got it for winning the Ashes!
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #772 on: August 25, 2013, 05:06 PM »

I still don’t believe Andy is a fore going conclusion winner for SPOTY. He should be, but I would not be surprised if Alastair Cook got it for winning the Ashes!
No way Alastair Cook is winning. You really are convinced Andy is hated.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #773 on: August 25, 2013, 05:49 PM »

Not a chance.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #774 on: August 25, 2013, 06:27 PM »

I really don't think a team captain would win it purely because he led his team to a victory, the SPOTY award goes to individual accomplishment, a cricketer would have to do what Botham did back in 1981 or something to be considered for it.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #775 on: August 25, 2013, 06:48 PM »

Cook's captaincy has been questioned throughout the series anyway.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #776 on: August 25, 2013, 06:58 PM »

The Ashes don't the novelty factor as they once did.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #777 on: August 25, 2013, 07:06 PM »

Here's a challenge. If Andy doesn't win the SPOTY I will personally volunteer to snog Federer. That is how sure I am that Andy will win it, because there is no way in hell that I would ever snog Federer  yuk.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #778 on: August 25, 2013, 09:21 PM »

Here's a challenge. If Andy doesn't win the SPOTY I will personally volunteer to snog Federer. That is how sure I am that Andy will win it, because there is no way in hell that I would ever snog Federer  yuk.

Really?... I'd snog Fed... but only if he gave me his endorsements earnings and it was a Sunday morning when I look like a Bangkok hooker after the navy left ..and my breathe made my dog's seem like channel perfume.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #779 on: August 25, 2013, 09:27 PM »

omg.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »