Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 43581 times)
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #795 on: August 27, 2013, 11:37 AM »

For those with remaining doubts about Andy's chances of winning SPOTY : Here's why he's a shoe-in Very Happy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23220747
Thanks for reminding me Sid! I'll never get tired of seeing that!  Very Happy
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #796 on: August 27, 2013, 11:47 AM »

^me neither Caz. There's something about that moment when he drops his raquet, and 77 years of hurt just evaporate ! Whooosh ! I still don't think I can quite believe he did it - even now :-)
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #797 on: August 27, 2013, 11:54 AM »

^me neither Caz. There's something about that moment when he drops his raquet, and 77 years of hurt just evaporate ! Whooosh ! I still don't think I can quite believe he did it - even now :-)
  yes 
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #798 on: August 27, 2013, 01:14 PM »

That's how I feel.

I remember that I'd always told friends, family, work colleagues etc. that I was confident that Andy WOULD win a slam one day.  My faith though, I'm sorry to admit, was a little shaken after last year's Wimbledon final.

Then he took out Djoko and SmugFed in the Olympics to win Gold for team GB.  I tried to convince myself that even if a Grand Slim victory was never to be, then I'd be satisfied that the Olympic Gold somehow compensated. Afer all, it's something the the Fedman himself has never achieved.

Then onto that fantastic September night last year, 0205 on the Tuesday morning, and I realised that I had been fooling myself.  That magnificent US Open victory meant more than any number of Olympic victories, because Andy's place in tennis history, and British sporting history, was now assured.  It couldn't get any better than this, surely, I thought?

Move on to early July 2013, and the greatest prize in World tennis!  Wimbledon, the "first amongst equals" of Grand Slams.  Andy's home nation's (arguably - but not by me!) most significant world class sporting event.  Not won by a home athlete since dinosaurs roamed these isles, etc. etc. etc.

His outstanding victory against the world's greatest player of the last two years, in straight sets (but it didn't feel like it did it?)

No doubt about it, to me this means far more than the US Open victory!  It has lifted Andy's place from sporting hero to Legend.  I've said it before in this forum - and received some arguments - but I am absolutely certain that this was the greatest single acheivement by a British male sportsman in my lifetime.  

I still can hardly believe it, just like Caz and Sid.  
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #799 on: August 27, 2013, 01:21 PM »

Yes.....it was the biggest ever for me too Mickey and I doubt anything can surpass it.....for me anyway! I'll be absolutely gutted if Andy doesn't get this award!
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #800 on: August 27, 2013, 01:25 PM »

Andy better win incase you snog the wrong man in an RF hat  :p
Steady on, I don't feel well as things are! Smile.

I am not that bad guys Frown
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #801 on: August 27, 2013, 04:24 PM »

Wimbledon and the US Open are the two biggest grand slams. Unless of course you come from France or Australia they might argue differently. But Andy has won them both so no matter. I think it’s only a matter of time before he wins the Australian Open, but first will he hold the US Open? Then (to get back on topic)….the SPOTY 2013.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #802 on: August 28, 2013, 07:03 PM »

There really has to be something very far wrong if he doesn't win this.  It's one hundred per cent deserved.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #803 on: August 28, 2013, 07:15 PM »

There really has to be something very far wrong if he doesn't win this.  It's one hundred per cent deserved.
  To paraphrase Billy Connolly - Gie'm the prize the noo, an' save yeez aa the bother!
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #804 on: August 28, 2013, 07:17 PM »

To paraphrase Billy Connolly - Gie'm the prize the noo, an' save yeez aa the bother!
lol - I'll go with that!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #805 on: August 28, 2013, 11:22 PM »

The big question is not whether Andy will win or not, but whether he will come back to England for the ceremony or not this year.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #806 on: August 28, 2013, 11:29 PM »

The big question is not whether Andy will win or not, but whether he will come back to England for the ceremony or not this year.

I think he'll prioritise his training in Miami. I think people have started to accept that about him, that nothing is allowed to stand in the way.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #807 on: August 29, 2013, 01:15 PM »

I think he'll prioritise his training in Miami. I think people have started to accept that about him, that nothing is allowed to stand in the way.

I agree.  It is Andy's complete focus and dedication to his sport and his training regime that has got him to where he is.  The nation must accept that losing two or three days from his pre-season to come over and accept the trophy isn't proportionate. 

They must arrange for someone to present it to him over in Florida (but perhaps not Lennox Lewis!)

IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #808 on: August 29, 2013, 01:22 PM »

I agree.  It is Andy's complete focus and dedication to his sport and his training regime that has got him to where he is.  The nation must accept that losing two or three days from his pre-season to come over and accept the trophy isn't proportionate. 

They must arrange for someone to present it to him over in Florida (but perhaps not Lennox Lewis!)

I'll do it.    I'll pay my own expenses and it won't cost the BBC a penny.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #809 on: August 29, 2013, 02:14 PM »

I'll do it.    I'll pay my own expenses and it won't cost the BBC a penny.
Very Happy I like your attitude! I am hesitating as I write this, but in the bad old days you might've got Jim to fixit.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »