Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 52850 times)
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #810 on: August 29, 2013, 03:18 PM »

Hmmmm!!!   Would not have gone near that man.    Never did like him even before all the stories came out.     Didn't really understand how he came to be a celeb.

But then for a chance to meet Andy?     
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #811 on: September 06, 2013, 10:14 AM »

The dreaded Daily Mail trolls are at it again today.  However, one comment was "Mo Farah for SPOTY" and perhaps they're right - not because Andy lost this match, but because he lost his temper time and time again, showing the old Andy some of us had hoped to have seen the back of.  Old habits die hard.  Racquet smashing, smacking himself on the forehead, swearing and rarely acknowledging great shots from his opponent - a particular trait of his that disappoints me.  I'm sorry to say that he acted like a spoilt brat at times and that's very unsportsmanlike.  I hope he's a man who is able to leave that side of himself on the court and not take it home with home, otherwise I, from personal experience from decades ago, pity Kim and the dogs.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #812 on: September 06, 2013, 10:32 AM »

The dreaded Daily Mail trolls are at it again today.  However, one comment was "Mo Farah for SPOTY" and perhaps they're right - not because Andy lost this match, but because he lost his temper time and time again, showing the old Andy some of us had hoped to have seen the back of.  Old habits die hard.  Racquet smashing, smacking himself on the forehead, swearing and rarely acknowledging great shots from his opponent - a particular trait of his that disappoints me.  I'm sorry to say that he acted like a spoilt brat at times and that's very unsportsmanlike.  I hope he's a man who is able to leave that side of himself on the court and not take it home with home, otherwise I, from personal experience from decades ago, pity Kim and the dogs.

Have you never been frustrated? Have you never known the feeling of knowing what you can do, but for whatever reason found yourself unable to do it? I have, just not to the same level as Andy, but I'll tell you for nothing that it feels rotten. Frustration in that situation is natural. I think it's more healthy than showing nothing.

I don't blame Andy for focusing on his performance, or lack of, yesterday. Stan didn't need Andy as a cheerleader. It's not unsporting. You must have heard what Andy said in his presser. He acknowledged immediately that Stan outplayed him and said he'd played badly himself. What do you want him to do, send Stan a bunch of flowers and a thanks for beating me card?

As for your last insinuation, I just don't like it. It's patently obvious Andy was annoyed with himself on the court, but anyone can see what he is like in 'real' life. Kim supports Andy through the ups and downs. That is what loving couples do.

Andy is still a certainty for the SPOTY. Not even the Daily Wail and it's moronic readers can change that.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #813 on: September 06, 2013, 10:51 AM »

I hope he's a man who is able to leave that side of himself on the court and not take it home with home, otherwise I, from personal experience from decades ago, pity Kim and the dogs.

Your comment honestly left me scratching my head in confusion.Do you not follow the Andy Murray that I do or something?Because I can't reconcile that with the guy that we follow on here.I can't count the number of times over the years it's been said-and demonstrated-just how different Andy is off-court to who he is on-court.Members of his inner circle-and us on here,I'm sure!- have often expressed their frustration at people judging Andy without knowing him,without seeing the gentle,funny,kind person he is away from the heat of competition.It's been good to see more people seeing a different side of him,nice to see their reactions changing.

I don't want to comment on your remark about personal experience,as I don't know what it is I'd be commenting on-I'm certainly sorry if you've been through tough times.But I really doubt Kim or the dogs need your pity-I doubt that they'd still be there if there was ANY need for pity.Andy and Kim have been together for years,and are clearly very much in love.And Andy is just nuts about those dogs-anyone watching the documentary,without even neededing to know anything about him, saw that!

I really can't see last night affecting SPOTY.Andy's fans,who know who he is, will vote for him.Hopefully lots of people who saw him do what no Brit could for 77 years,will vote for him.As to the more casual "slam finals only" kind of voters-well,given that it was a QF against a not-particularly-big-outside-of-tennis name (Sorry Stan,but I don't think I'm being unfair in saying that) well, they may not even have been watching!
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #814 on: September 06, 2013, 12:14 PM »

I fear that Andy will come second to Mo Farrah  in SPOTY simply because tennis is a minority sport whereas running is more  of a majority sport  Most of us can run even if at different speeds  and you can start as soon as you leave home whereas Tennis requires a court to play on plus racquet and balls and somebody else to play against
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #815 on: September 06, 2013, 12:29 PM »

Winning the WTF a month before the voting would seal it.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #816 on: September 06, 2013, 12:34 PM »

Your comment honestly left me scratching my head in confusion.Do you not follow the Andy Murray that I do or something?Because I can't reconcile that with the guy that we follow on here.I can't count the number of times over the years it's been said-and demonstrated-just how different Andy is off-court to who he is on-court.Members of his inner circle-and us on here,I'm sure!- have often expressed their frustration at people judging Andy without knowing him,without seeing the gentle,funny,kind person he is away from the heat of competition.It's been good to see more people seeing a different side of him,nice to see their reactions changing.

I don't want to comment on your remark about personal experience,as I don't know what it is I'd be commenting on-I'm certainly sorry if you've been through tough times.But I really doubt Kim or the dogs need your pity-I doubt that they'd still be there if there was ANY need for pity.Andy and Kim have been together for years,and are clearly very much in love.And Andy is just nuts about those dogs-anyone watching the documentary,without even neededing to know anything about him, saw that!

I really can't see last night affecting SPOTY.Andy's fans,who know who he is, will vote for him.Hopefully lots of people who saw him do what no Brit could for 77 years,will vote for him.As to the more casual "slam finals only" kind of voters-well,given that it was a QF against a not-particularly-big-outside-of-tennis name (Sorry Stan,but I don't think I'm being unfair in saying that) well, they may not even have been watching!

Spot on.

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #817 on: September 06, 2013, 01:10 PM »

I fear that Andy will come second to Mo Farrah  in SPOTY simply because tennis is a minority sport whereas running is more  of a majority sport  Most of us can run even if at different speeds  and you can start as soon as you leave home whereas Tennis requires a court to play on plus racquet and balls and somebody else to play against

I don't think that comes in to it to be honest. Even people who don't follow tennis all the year round tend to follow Wimbledon. People also understand that Andy made history in winning Wimbledon. I think a lot of people understand the pressure Andy was under to win it as well.

To my mind Andy is still a dead cert.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #818 on: September 06, 2013, 01:28 PM »

http://www.oddschecker.com/awards/sports-personality-of-the-year/winner

The odds say it all.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #819 on: September 06, 2013, 02:18 PM »

I don't think that comes in to it to be honest. Even people who don't follow tennis all the year round tend to follow Wimbledon. People also understand that Andy made history in winning Wimbledon. I think a lot of people understand the pressure Andy was under to win it as well.

To my mind Andy is still a dead cert.
Yep TJ me too.  yes
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #820 on: September 06, 2013, 02:23 PM »

Its inconceivable Andy wont win the SPOTY. If he doesn't win it they should just close it down because it will lack any credibility. Mo Farah is a great distance runner but Britan have had plenty of great distance runners over the decades. Thing that makes me laugh is when they mention the great British sporting summer they mention the British Lions beating Australia, winning the Ashes etc in the same breath as Andy winning Wimbledon as though they are on an equal footing. Winning the Ashes involves beating 1 team. Australia! In all honesty Andy should have got it last year since he was the first Brit in 300 attempts to win a Slam. People go on about how long it is since England won the World Cup but there have only been about 12 world cups since England won it, not the 300 Grand Slams since a Brit won a Slam
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #821 on: September 06, 2013, 03:34 PM »

BN thanks for that stat. 300 slams. I must admit I hadn't realised that, I'm a bit thick when it comes to numbers. They are a bit of a mental block for me.

That one stat tells the story of why Andy should win the SPOTY, but also why winning Wimbledon was so huge for him.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #822 on: September 06, 2013, 08:01 PM »

Actually not sure if its 300. I was multiplying 77 years * 4 Slams but there may not have been 4 Slams per year in the 30s.

Maybe 200 Slams is a better estimate.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #823 on: September 06, 2013, 08:58 PM »

There would have been wouldn't there? I wondered about the war years to be honest. I know Wimbledon wasn't held during the world wars for example.

Either way, it's a lot, clearly, so it makes what Andy has done all the more significant.
IP Logged
Moozza

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #824 on: September 07, 2013, 01:24 AM »

No way is running bigger than tennis. I doubt the average person could even name one of Mo Farah's main rivals. On the other hand everyone knows who Nadal, Federer and Djokovic are. Wasn't the Wimbledon final also the most watched event on tv this year?

Andy has this in the bag.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »