Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 52398 times)
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #825 on: September 07, 2013, 02:29 AM »

Not many people in the UK watch tennis outside of Wimbledon, it's pretty irrelevant what he does for the rest of the year.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #826 on: September 07, 2013, 12:51 PM »

and remember that the papers had pages and pages about Andy for two days after Wimbledon and the tv/radio were full of him for the next day [+ the impact of the documentary]. Can't think of any other sporting achievement that got same level of media coverage this year.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #827 on: September 07, 2013, 05:35 PM »

Not many people in the UK watch tennis outside of Wimbledon, it's pretty irrelevant what he does for the rest of the year.

Whereas we are all glued to the tellie watching the Tour De France.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #828 on: September 08, 2013, 11:12 AM »

Its inconceivable Andy wont win the SPOTY. If he doesn't win it they should just close it down because it will lack any credibility. Mo Farah is a great distance runner but Britan have had plenty of great distance runners over the decades. Thing that makes me laugh is when they mention the great British sporting summer they mention the British Lions beating Australia, winning the Ashes etc in the same breath as Andy winning Wimbledon as though they are on an equal footing. Winning the Ashes involves beating 1 team. Australia! In all honesty Andy should have got it last year since he was the first Brit in 300 attempts to win a Slam. People go on about how long it is since England won the World Cup but there have only been about 12 world cups since England won it, not the 300 Grand Slams since a Brit won a Slam

Many, including Lord Co, are touting Mo as Britain's greatest ever distance runner, so he's definitely worthy of serious consideration.  However, I definitely agree about wins for the Lions and especially the Ashes being over-egged.  Everyone knew that the Australian cricket team wasn't particularly strong this year.  The Ashes are a big historical event that the press likes to big up, but in sporting terms, it doesn't have much more value than Andy beating Tomic in Miami this year.

By comparison, every slam has 128 entrants, and except for a few wildcards, every one of them has earned their place the hard way, and even wildcards need to be justified.   At this year's Wimbledon there were just five wildcards to the men's draw, and sixteen qualifiers, with the rest gaining entry based on ranking, ie the best tennis players over the previous 12 months.  There are 128 men in the qualifying draw, which has its own entry system including direct entry, wildcards and other rounds of qualifying.

I know people like to talk about how draws open up, but the starting draw was made up of the very best, and except for a couple of walk-overs, everyone made it to the next round because they won their match.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #829 on: September 08, 2013, 04:56 PM »

I really hope Andy wins SPOTY. It would say that he has now been accepted by the British public we will just have to wait and see. I still have my doubts there are people out there who still find it difficult to accept him.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #830 on: September 10, 2013, 01:34 AM »

Just twigged that I will be in the UK when this is on and I CAN VOTE! cmon yeah
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #831 on: September 10, 2013, 01:40 AM »

Just twigged that I will be in the UK when this is on and I CAN VOTE! cmon yeah

Can you do a proxy for me too???  cmon yeah
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #832 on: September 10, 2013, 01:43 AM »

Can you do a proxy for me too???  cmon yeah

I will proxy for everyone! secret service agent  I need a good phone plan then, don't I?  You young'uns need to gen me up on the best ones. yes  My phone is unlocked - it's from the UK.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #833 on: September 10, 2013, 01:46 AM »

Holy crap!  It's in Leeds!  Just down the road!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #834 on: September 10, 2013, 01:50 AM »

OUTGOING Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has been installed as the front-runner to be named BBC Sports Personality of the Year for 2013.

Bookmaker William Hill yesterday had Sir Alex as the 6/4 favourite for the award following the news that he is retiring after 27 years in charge at the Premiership club.

Other famous names in contention for the prize include tennis ace Andy Murray (2/1), cyclist Chris Froome (7/1) and cricketer Alastair Cook (8/1).

This was from the Yorkshire Evening post in May.

A MWer lives in Leeds and I can't remember who it is old  Tickets don't look to be available yet - must keep an eye out for those!!!
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #835 on: September 10, 2013, 05:12 AM »

For ***** sake. Always something to take it away from Andy.

As much as a love Sir Alex, just no.

His career warrants a lifetime award. DO NOT nominate him for the shortlist BBC you mugs.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #836 on: September 10, 2013, 07:05 AM »

Alex Fergusion would be a candidate for the life time achivement award which would be appropriate. But not the main award that goes to an active sports person.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #837 on: September 10, 2013, 07:41 AM »

OUTGOING Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has been installed as the front-runner to be named BBC Sports Personality of the Year for 2013.

Bookmaker William Hill yesterday had Sir Alex as the 6/4 favourite for the award following the news that he is retiring after 27 years in charge at the Premiership club.

Other famous names in contention for the prize include tennis ace Andy Murray (2/1), cyclist Chris Froome (7/1) and cricketer Alastair Cook (8/1).

This was from the Yorkshire Evening post in May.

A MWer lives in Leeds and I can't remember who it is old  Tickets don't look to be available yet - must keep an eye out for those!!!

I think you will find that's me :P
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #838 on: September 10, 2013, 08:18 AM »

Alex Fergusion would be a candidate for the life time achivement award which would be appropriate. But not the main award that goes to an active sports person.

Thank goodness for that. Not I hasten to add I have anything against Sir A, but I agree with Prodigy's comment. Nobody should take this away from him. Mo F has achieved amazing things, but we have many athletes and have a big team, and have won many athletic medals and awards. In tennis across the board achieving at the highest levels we have one lone representative - Mr M. Mo F can have it next year, I will vote for him then.

As the late unlamented AK400 used to say. This one should be on Murray's racket.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #839 on: September 10, 2013, 09:44 AM »

I think you will find that's me :P

Then nose to the ground and eyes peeled! I want to hear it first from you (unless the arena email me as requested).
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »