Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 43707 times)
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #915 on: September 29, 2013, 01:28 AM »

No.. it was Kanye.

My mistake. Sorry.

I also like Kanye West, what's that moronic talk show host been saying about Kanye?
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #916 on: September 29, 2013, 01:29 AM »

I understand that entirely Westie, which is what you will always be to me because of your cute avatar.

I love it too, was well chuffed when I found it, wanted something to combine two of my favourite things.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #917 on: September 29, 2013, 01:38 AM »

Boakonnor  should be connors new username
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #918 on: September 29, 2013, 01:39 AM »

I also like Kanye West, what's that moronic talk show host been saying about Kanye?

Can't be bothered.. been on our news here.

Here's Kanye's twitter. Off to bed, cheerio.

https://twitter.com/kanyewest
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #919 on: September 29, 2013, 01:39 AM »

I love it too, was well chuffed when I found it, wanted something to combine two of my favourite things.
Looking at it always cheers me up. Smile
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #920 on: September 29, 2013, 08:48 AM »

What have the last 3 pages to do with SPOTY? Get back on topic.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #921 on: September 29, 2013, 09:04 AM »

I'm not placing too much value on media suggestions that the likes of Ben Ainslee is a serious contender for SPOTY.   I'm sure they all know that being part of a team winning America's Cup (which I had heard of) is nothing like winning Wimbledon in terms of sporting achievement, never mind historic significance. 

I just think Andy's such an obvious winner of the prize this year that they are trying to drum up a bit of interest, or hype other achievements by suggesting it might not be so obvious.

The only way Andy won't win is because everyone presumes he's going to win, so doesn't vote, or there is some massive campaign for someone else.

The reality is that even people who have heard of the America's Cup, and think it's very exciting to watch and that it was an incredible come-back etc, know it's not on a par with winning Wimbledon.  It's not on a par with winning the US Open as far as the general public is concerned.   It's just one of those nice sports stories we can get a bit excited about when it's happening.

There has been talk that either Serena or Rafa could be international SPOTY, but does anyone even know the names of Ben's team-mates?  I always use that as a marker for how big a sport actually is - do we know the names of the non-British competitors?

I suspect some of the lobbying is just a way of bigging up Sir Ben, who has achieved an awful lot in sailing, but never become a big star in the same way as Steve Redgrave, and probably does deserve to be thought of in that way.  I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Lifetime Achievement Award with his name on it, if not this year, but some time in the near future.

Unfortunately, clumsily pushing his name as a serious challenger for SPOTY risks having people pointing out that his achievement wasn't all that.  It's a bit like Cameron rushing to suggest no-one deserved to be Knighted more than Andy.  He was just caught up in the hype and being a typical politician, trying to associate himself with someone else's glory, but it prompted loads of people to say why it was a daft thing to say, and some people to get quite worked up, almost blaming Andy and encouraging perfectly sensible columnists to diminish what he'd done, instead of just enjoying it.

IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #922 on: September 29, 2013, 09:57 AM »

I just think Andy's such an obvious winner of the prize this year that they are trying to drum up a bit of interest, or hype other achievements by suggesting it might not be so obvious.

I think this is the right analysis - Andy is such an obvious shoo-in that the real interest is in the runners-up. 
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #923 on: September 29, 2013, 10:57 AM »

Chris Froome is hoping to do a memorable double today which will add to his Brownie points.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #924 on: September 29, 2013, 11:00 AM »

Chris Froome is hoping to do a memorable double today which will add to his Brownie points.

A member of the Sky Cycling team is under investigation for doping if I read it correctly, which wouldn't help him. They surely can't even think of giving it to a cyclist 3 years on the trot?
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #925 on: September 29, 2013, 11:07 AM »

Murray 335 Ainslie79
I noticed last night that this year on Strictly the viewers can vote on line for the first time now if one can vote on line for Andy when the time comes that should help people like me who live out in the sticks This is because our phone facility cannot compete with lots of calls going through from towns and cities
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #926 on: September 29, 2013, 11:20 AM »

Looking at it always cheers me up. Smile

Then I'll do my best to keep it coming!  highfive

Apologies, yes, we know we are a 'little' off topic. That's what conversations do sometimes.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #927 on: September 29, 2013, 03:28 PM »

I've just checked the odds again at the online bookies.  Andy remains anything from 28/1 ON to 50/1 ON to win this year.  That's a near a certainty as you can get. 
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #928 on: September 29, 2013, 07:06 PM »

You could argue sailing isn't even a sport. There's a lot of skill in it but a sport? The wind does all the work.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #929 on: September 29, 2013, 09:00 PM »

You could argue sailing isn't even a sport. There's a lot of skill in it but a sport? The wind does all the work.
But part of the skill involved in sailing is knowing how to deal with the wind in all its many and unpredictable guises
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »