Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 49798 times)
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #930 on: September 29, 2013, 09:20 PM »

Competitive sailing can be very physically demanding.  OK, it's never going to be up there with tennis, or rowing, but you couldn't compete at that level unless you are physically fit.  It's probably more on a par with horse-riding.  The horse does most of the work, but you can't afford to be a passive passenger.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #931 on: September 29, 2013, 10:16 PM »

Methinks passive passenger=man overboard!
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #932 on: September 30, 2013, 01:08 AM »

Similar to motor racing too IMO. You need to be a good driver, but if you've got the slowest car then you're not going to win.

Anyway people making too much of a fuss over other names being suggested. Andy should and will surely win, but there do need to be other nominations and other people's achievements acknowledged too, of which the likes of Justin Rose, Ben Ainslie and Chris Froome will be. A lifetime achievement award for Ainslie should be a certainty at some point.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #933 on: September 30, 2013, 08:37 AM »

Competitive sailing can be very physically demanding.  OK, it's never going to be up there with tennis, or rowing, but you couldn't compete at that level unless you are physically fit.  It's probably more on a par with horse-riding.  The horse does most of the work, but you can't afford to be a passive passenger.

Whereas I agree that tennis or any sport that relies on only you is probably the one where you need to be very, very fit I do not entirely agree with the bit about horse riding.  Having competed in endurance riding I can tell you that the training regime is pretty hard.  I was up every morning and riding, doing gym work(including 500 steps twice a day) or just running in order to be fit to cover race rides of up to 30 miles.  Obviously it did depend on how good your horse was but it was up to you to get them fit which meant being fit yourself.  This was only at amateur level.  I do know that many of my friends thought that you 'just sat on the horse and it did all the work'.  They were amazed at how much work I put in as well as working full time.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #934 on: September 30, 2013, 08:54 AM »

Tamila, that was exactly my point.

I was comparing sailing to horse-riding, in that a decent level of physical fitness is required if you want to be successful.  I was saying that the sailor, like the rider, cannot afford to be a passive passenger.

Like sailing, a lot of people do presume riding is just sitting there, letting the horse do the work, so I suppose I should have been explicit that I wasn't one of them. Smile
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #935 on: September 30, 2013, 12:07 PM »

Sorry, Sparkle.  Misread your post.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #936 on: September 30, 2013, 07:26 PM »

That's OK.  Smile

I would say that the elite sailing in America's Cup, is a bit like Formula One and the horsey sports in that no matter how good you are, you are also reliant on a good boat, car or horse, which has to working or healthy.

In that respect, success in those sports is much less of an individual affair.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #937 on: September 30, 2013, 07:28 PM »

That's OK.  Smile

I would say that the elite sailing in America's Cup, is a bit like Formula One and the horsey sports in that no matter how good you are, you are also reliant on a good boat, car or horse, which has to working or healthy.

In that respect, success in those sports is much less of an individual affair.

Well it is an individual affair if you are the boat, car or horse, no? lol
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #938 on: September 30, 2013, 11:17 PM »

Would be nice for Andy to be there if he's going to win it Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #939 on: October 01, 2013, 03:06 AM »

He won't be though if he manages to make it to Miami, which I hope he does, even if it's a little later than usual.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #940 on: October 31, 2013, 11:52 PM »

Tickets for this event go on sale at 9am Friday 1st November - £40, £50, £60.  Going to give it a go at getting tickets crossfingers Very Happy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sports-personality/24704923
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #941 on: November 01, 2013, 12:49 AM »

lol way too expensive.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #942 on: November 01, 2013, 09:28 AM »

anyway Andy won't be there, he'll be in Miami so if he wins it will have to be done virtually, with perhaps Judy standing in for him at the event
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #943 on: November 01, 2013, 10:02 AM »

Yes expensive, yes Andy won't be there, but going to be part of it cmon yeah
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #944 on: November 01, 2013, 11:24 AM »

Andy might be there.....he said he hasn't made his mind up yet.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »