Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 48068 times)
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #975 on: November 26, 2013, 01:02 PM »

They should just miss out the personality bit - it should be an award to recognise the top sporting achivements of the year.  What Andy Murray has achieved is spectacular and it will probably be another 77+ years till it happens again - he is an amazing athelete and an even more amazing tennis player.  However, it has to be remembered that although he is way more popular than he has every been but with the non tennis fans his nationality is more important than his achievements.  I think the whole thing is over rated anyway and has turned into a "showbiz" do rather than a sporting one, but I think Andy deserves to win it as there is no other sportsman / woman achieved such a great feat this year.
Every year since his first nomination I have voted for him and will continue to do so because I think he does far more than play sport - he is a role model and a great example of someone despite their wealth, fame and fortune remaining true to his roots and being his own person.  In today's celebrity obssessed culture he has shown what can be achieved by sheer hard work and damned determination!!!!  He also has a love for the sport that cannot be learned - he was born with it.
If he doesn't win then it will in some ways be a miscarriage of justice but at the end of the day he will always be a Grand Slam Champion and Olympic Gold Medallist and I think that's what he will be remembered for not SPOTY winner.  But come on Andy - it's the icing on your cake to pick this one up.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #976 on: November 26, 2013, 01:14 PM »

Another Yes vote in the bag, then? cmon yeah

YES PLEASE!!!
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #977 on: November 26, 2013, 01:27 PM »

@MM.   The personality bit is misunderstood by the general public.    It is meant, I would imagine, in the sense of a well-known person in the sporting arena - not in the meaning of the nature of the person.     I happen to think that Andy has a terrific personality and makes some of the other top players look like cardboard cutouts.   I don't even like these award programmes but I will do what I did last year and just keep pressing the redial button.     I voted for a few MWers last year and had no difficulty getting through.   
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #978 on: November 26, 2013, 01:54 PM »

I did too Iluvandy I rang a few times as some MW's abroad could not vote for him. I will vote as often as I can.The reason being that we do not have as big a population as England and although Andy is in the lead it is not certain he will win.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #979 on: November 26, 2013, 01:56 PM »

They should just miss out the personality bit - it should be an award to recognise the top sporting achivements of the year.  What Andy Murray has achieved is spectacular and it will probably be another 77+ years till it happens again - he is an amazing athelete and an even more amazing tennis player.  However, it has to be remembered that although he is way more popular than he has every been but with the non tennis fans his nationality is more important than his achievements.  I think the whole thing is over rated anyway and has turned into a "showbiz" do rather than a sporting one, but I think Andy deserves to win it as there is no other sportsman / woman achieved such a great feat this year.
Every year since his first nomination I have voted for him and will continue to do so because I think he does far more than play sport - he is a role model and a great example of someone despite their wealth, fame and fortune remaining true to his roots and being his own person.  In today's celebrity obssessed culture he has shown what can be achieved by sheer hard work and damned determination!!!!  He also has a love for the sport that cannot be learned - he was born with it.
If he doesn't win then it will in some ways be a miscarriage of justice but at the end of the day he will always be a Grand Slam Champion and Olympic Gold Medallist and I think that's what he will be remembered for not SPOTY winner.  But come on Andy - it's the icing on your cake to pick this one up.

Good posting!
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #980 on: November 26, 2013, 03:20 PM »

2 Scott's that did not win SPOTY that would have if they were English, Stephen Hendry 7 time Snooker World Champion (Steve Davis got it for 6). Colin McRea in 1995 he became the first ever British World Rally Champion.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #981 on: November 26, 2013, 06:54 PM »

They should just miss out the personality bit - it should be an award to recognise the top sporting achivements of the year. 

I disagree.  They should keep the personality bit, and for the reasons you mentioned later in your post.

It's mainly going to come down to achievement, but things like hard work, fighting spirit, determination to achieve your goals and be the very best you can be, has to be a part of it.

The problem is that some people have a very narrow view of what personality means, thinking it means being loud and abrasive.  some would vote for their favourite pop star given half a chance, because they took part in a charity football match, or to David Beckham, because he looks good in those underwear ads. 

As far as I'm concerned, it's "sports personality", and those words go together, so someone with the personality to excel at sports.  Not the naturally athlete who is too busy messing about, telling jokes, to achieve their potential.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #982 on: November 26, 2013, 06:56 PM »

If you are watching BBC 1 in Scotland you can't see the One Show thanks to Mr Salmond! Fortunately my Virgin Box has BBC England.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #983 on: November 26, 2013, 06:57 PM »

Well I believe it's called BBC London actually
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #984 on: November 26, 2013, 07:13 PM »

As we can't see the One Show in Scotland, would some kind person please post a list of the nominees for SPOTY?
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #985 on: November 26, 2013, 07:14 PM »

I sent in who is my sporting hero. Keep an eye out guys they might show it!
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #986 on: November 26, 2013, 07:14 PM »

As we can't see the One Show in Scotland, would some kind person please post a list of the nominees for SPOTY?

No Andy unfortunately Frown
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #987 on: November 26, 2013, 07:17 PM »

If you are watching BBC 1 in Scotland you can't see the One Show thanks to Mr Salmond! Fortunately my Virgin Box has BBC England.

I can only see the Celtic match because I have Sky.    Should I blame Mr. Cameron?
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #988 on: November 26, 2013, 07:19 PM »

1908: SPORTS PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR
Here are the five contenders revealed so far on The One Show in a bit more detail:

Ben Ainslie: Ainslie was widely credited with turning around Team USA's fortunes in the America's Cup having been brought in as tactician with the hosts coming from behind to win the last eight races and pull off a remarkable come-from-behind victory.

Ian Bell: The Warwickshire batsman contributed significantly to a summer of Ashes success with three centuries and his series-leading 562 runs - scored at an average of 62.44 - was 144 better than his nearest rival.

Hannah Cockroft: Having been awarded an MBE in the New Year Honours, Cockroft retained both her T34 100 metres and T34 200 metres titles at the IPC Athletics World Championships in Lyon and won the T33/T34 100 metres race at the Anniversary Games at the Olympic Stadium with a stadium record time of 17.80 seconds.

Mo Farah: Farah continued where he left off in 2012 by winning both 5,000m and 10,000m world titles in Moscow, as well as breaking Steve Cram's 28-year-old British 1,500m record in Monaco in July.

Chris Froome: May lack the broader public profile afforded his Great Britain team-mate Sir Bradley Wiggins but proved equally adept on two wheels by succeeding Wiggins as winner of the Tour de France.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/25099870

1926: BBC SPORTS PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR
And there we have it, the five remaining nominees are:

Rugby union player Leigh Halfpenny, jockey AP McCoy, tennis player Andy Murray, athlete Christine Ohuruogu and golfer Justin Rose.
[ Last edit by Elena November 26, 2013, 07:32 PM ] IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #989 on: November 26, 2013, 07:25 PM »

I can only see the Celtic match because I have Sky.    Should I blame Mr. Cameron?

???  BBC Scotland not showing One Show in order to talk about Mr S and his white paper. Bad timing for those who don't have any other choice.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »