Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 51630 times)
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1020 on: November 27, 2013, 04:45 PM »

one things for sure Andy MOST definitely  won't be there at SPOTY.  He has better things to do.   Smile         Hopefully if Andy DOES win it then surely they will present it to him in a better fashion.      Last year was a SHAMBLES.   TBQH.

Andy WILL be there! Watch this space.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1021 on: November 27, 2013, 05:29 PM »

Andy WILL be there! Watch this space.

I can't see it to be honest, not if it gets in the way of his training in Miami.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1022 on: November 27, 2013, 05:45 PM »

I can't see it to be honest, not if it gets in the way of his training in Miami.

My gut feeling is that he will be there otherwise the "let's hate Andy brigade" will have a field-day saying that he just couldn't be bothered turning up.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1023 on: November 27, 2013, 05:49 PM »

Dunno I just have this feeling that hes defo gonna be there this year he probably would have been coming back to blighty shortly after then anyway!

We shall find out soon I expect. 
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1024 on: November 27, 2013, 07:57 PM »

one things for sure Andy MOST definitely  won't be there at SPOTY.  He has better things to do.   Smile         Hopefully if Andy DOES win it then surely they will present it to him in a better fashion.      Last year was a SHAMBLES.   TBQH.
   No, I agree with Angie, I think there's a high chance he'll be there in person for this. It's going to be a landslide result, and I really think he'll want to respond to his fans in person.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1025 on: November 28, 2013, 08:46 AM »

If Andy cannot make it I think he'll get James Corden to pick it up for him, that would go down well with the English punters!
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1026 on: November 28, 2013, 09:22 AM »

I add the follow eligibility rules for SPOTY contenders which will make you all laugh! 

"Definition of who is eligible
Voted for by the public live during the TV show, this prestigious award will be given to the sportsman or woman whose actions have most captured the public's imagination in 2013. Non-playing coaches or management are not eligible.
People are eligible to win Sports Personality of the Year if they are citizens of Great Britain or Northern Ireland or all of the following criteria apply:
- They play a significant amount of their sport in the UK
- Their core achievements that year were achieved in the UK, and not with a non-UK based team (in which case they would more likely qualify for the Overseas award)
- They are residents in the UK"

How many top GB sportsmen play a significant amount of their sport in the UK?

For Andy this is the year winning Wimbledon and Queens? Those were significant but I think that initially they meant time spent.

Never mind. He should win but I think he should be there for British tennis and to realise how much he is now loved by the public! It would be an emotional night and I would look forward to another understated acceptance speech!
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1027 on: November 28, 2013, 09:25 AM »

Ooops. I missed a word.

They are citizens................ OR ............the following criteria apply.

Forget what I said!

Arthur an idiot?  Too early this morning perhaps?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1028 on: November 28, 2013, 09:56 PM »

I genuinely don't think he's going to win it. Which will be farcical. But he's gone off the radar a little bit having not played in two months, and outside of Wimbledon has achieved very little this year. That's not to say I don't think he deserves (he most definitely does) but reading many comments on various websites (and talking the more reputable ones here) it seems publicly there are still too many people who write down him or his achievements. Too many Federer and non-tennis fans in this country.

In short, this is effectively a popularity contest and I don't think he's popular enough to win it.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1029 on: November 28, 2013, 10:16 PM »

I genuinely don't think he's going to win it. Which will be farcical. But he's gone off the radar a little bit having not played in two months, and outside of Wimbledon has achieved very little this year. That's not to say I don't think he deserves (he most definitely does) but reading many comments on various websites (and talking the more reputable ones here) it seems publicly there are still too many people who write down him or his achievements. Too many Federer and non-tennis fans in this country.

In short, this is effectively a popularity contest and I don't think he's popular enough to win it.

What are you talking about?

He's the outright favourite. All the papers are tipping him to win.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1030 on: November 28, 2013, 11:47 PM »

The problem with Andy being the hot favourite is that people may not vote because they believe it to be a foregone conclusion.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1031 on: November 28, 2013, 11:48 PM »

What are you talking about?

He's the outright favourite. All the papers are tipping him to win.

Totally.  He's leading every single poll on the subject by a considerable margin.

The only, slight, risk is that people presume he'll win, so don't see the point in voting.

The vast majority of people having a go at Andy at the minute are those who have a different favourite athlete, and who see him as competition.  They are trying to argue that their favourite is better than Andy, and the lazy way to do that is to attempt to diminish what Andy has done.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1032 on: November 29, 2013, 12:26 AM »

No, I agree with Angie, I think there's a high chance he'll be there in person for this. It's going to be a landslide result, and I really think he'll want to respond to his fans in person.

Not being there would be a big reason why he might not win!  I have heard so many people say that they would not vote for someone who does not turn up. The SPOTY vote used to be  outside the hours of the programme so then it made less difference. They knew who was going to win so made sure that they were there!  Now it is all about what people see on the night so BBC really influence who wins! He leads polls because of not only his achievements but the coverage that he has been getting of late. So many are so pleased that he is such a good guy. Remember it was the same press that to an extent did not support him!

Being a competitor (feels like retired at present) I can see only three who would be worthy of this award that combine motivation, interest, ability and success (the complete sporting personality package) and one of those is absent from the short list. Others I know do not see it that way and just promote their sport's best person.

If you watch the dancing programme you will see that the public vote for who they like regardless of how they dance. They also vote for someone in the sport they support or in the soap they watch endlessly. Ethnic and gender issues are also a determinant on vote. This is not an intelligent vote. The same happens with SPOTY.

He should be there and his management should get him there for financial reasons alone. Imagine going to a tennis match in the future where the Murray fans outnumber the doubters because they like him and want him to win.

I hope he does because he is the best in GB this year and for that reason alone.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1033 on: November 29, 2013, 11:13 AM »

I totally agree.   Like I said the competition is a farce. 
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1034 on: November 29, 2013, 01:23 PM »

I totally agree.   Like I said the competition is a farce. 
   Bet you wouldn't put your house on him losing.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »