Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 110 [111] 112 113 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 48886 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1650 on: December 16, 2013, 12:03 AM »

We didn't enjoy getting lost trying to park near the venue! Bloody one way system!
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1651 on: December 16, 2013, 12:04 AM »

We didn't enjoy getting lost trying to park near the venue! Bloody one way system!

Did you visit other places in Leeds or just the arena?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1652 on: December 16, 2013, 12:09 AM »

Martina's always been a cool cat. I love her.
Me as well, although like Bev I wasn't all that struck at the start of her career, but she gradually grew on me and her retirement left a big hole in the women's game.  Not only was she a great play but she had personality plus.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1653 on: December 16, 2013, 12:10 AM »

Me as well, although like Bev I wasn't all that struck at the start of her career, but she gradually grew on me and her retirement left a big hole in the women's game.  Not only was she a great play but she had personality plus.

That hole is filled now though.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1654 on: December 16, 2013, 12:11 AM »

Did anybody notice how the golfer Rose was described as an English winner whereas Andy is always a British winner (until he loses that is when he becomes Scottish) Old habits die hard and the BBC just can't help themselves. It's been like this since 1966 . 

The reason for that is Rose is the first Englishman to win a golf major (or the US Open, I can't remember which) since xxxx.   Other Brits have won since then, so they are using the distinction to make the achievement sound better.

Arguably, they could have done the same with Andy, but realistically, everyone knows Fred Perry's name, and no-one would be that impressed at Andy being the best Scottish tennis player in ages.  I include Scottish people in that. hug
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1655 on: December 16, 2013, 12:12 AM »

Did you visit other places in Leeds or just the arena?

Just the arena.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1656 on: December 16, 2013, 12:25 AM »

I love McCoy's tribute.  So true!

"It's a phenomenal achievement," McCoy said of Murray's win at the All England Club in July.

"To be the first tennis player in that length of time to win Wimbledon, with the pressure that was on him, and playing in an era where there are three of the greatest tennis players to have played the game in Djokovic, Nadal and Federer.

"No disrespect to any of the other contenders, but I think it would have been totally unjust for anyone else to win this year."
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1657 on: December 16, 2013, 12:31 AM »

The reason for that is Rose is the first Englishman to win a golf major (or the US Open, I can't remember which) since xxxx.   Other Brits have won since then, so they are using the distinction to make the achievement sound better.

Arguably, they could have done the same with Andy, but realistically, everyone knows Fred Perry's name, and no-one would be that impressed at Andy being the best Scottish tennis player in ages.  I include Scottish people in that. hug
I agree, and I don't think Andy would have been impressed either.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1658 on: December 16, 2013, 02:07 AM »

Considering that in Golf Rose plays under England. in Tennis Andy plays under Great Britain. There is a difference.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1659 on: December 16, 2013, 04:10 AM »

Can't believe the commenter on MSN homepage who thought that the whole thing was rigged because Andy already had the trophy in Miami.  Given that nothing was ever going to be certain until the public had voted it must have been a replica.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1660 on: December 16, 2013, 07:00 AM »

Can't believe the commenter on MSN homepage who thought that the whole thing was rigged because Andy already had the trophy in Miami.  Given that nothing was ever going to be certain until the public had voted it must have been a replica.

Must have been since Sir Brad 'brought back the trophy' right near the beginning of the show.  Obviously someone wasn't paying attention.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1661 on: December 16, 2013, 07:56 AM »

LOL.  You expect it from the usual conspiracy theorists in the comments section who think they are being ever so clever, but you'd hope that actual employed writers would be a bit brighter! lol
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1662 on: December 16, 2013, 07:58 AM »

Here are the voting stats for the past few years, showing Andy getting more and more support.  cmon yeah

IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1663 on: December 16, 2013, 08:14 AM »

That makes great viewing that chart! So proud 
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1664 on: December 16, 2013, 11:22 AM »

Considering that in Golf Rose plays under England. in Tennis Andy plays under Great Britain. There is a difference.

Thanks for reminding everyone, I was about to do the same. British Golfers play under their country ie. English, Scottish Welsh and Northern Ireland. Whereas in Tennis Davis Cup play under Great Britain. That's why they made a fuss about Justin Rose being the first US Open winner in 44 years, not the first Englishman in 44 years to win a Major, as Nick Faldo won 6 majors between 1987 and 1996 but could only finish 2nd at the US Open.

I think Justin Rose is a great player and I remember he gave a very good interview at Wimbledon this summer, I saw a few parallels with Andy. Personally I would have put him as my second favourite after Andy.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 110 [111] 112 113 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »