Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013?

(Read 6418 times)
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #60 on: February 06, 2013, 04:13 PM »

I have a friend who used to work at Wimby and she was not too impressed with Nadal off court. She says the Andy was shy but always the gentleman.  The other two did not impress either.

So, what did she say about Rafa actually?
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #61 on: February 06, 2013, 06:39 PM »

I agree.  Meanwhile Andy has announced that he won't be playing any tournament before IW because he wants to focus on the clay court season and RG in particular.  So will he be practising on clay in Miami? - because if he doesn't then I don't see the point in this because going into a Masters 'cold' doesn't seem the brightest idea around, especially after a five week break from competition, and also he could pick up a lot of ranking points there given that he has none to defend after last year's embarrassing early exit.

Maybe he will do a mixture of both hard and clay training.? If that can work of course
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #62 on: February 06, 2013, 06:58 PM »

I'm sure Andy and Ivan will be preparing for the 2 USA tournaments as Andy has said he is trying to be consistent and win more, especially the Masters and will be working on his clay court game as well. There is no way Ivan and Andy would put themselves in a position to play badly in IW. My understanding was he would concentrating on these and that is why he wasn't going to Dubai. Ivan is a clever man and will be making sure that Andy comes into this part of the season in the best possible form.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #63 on: February 06, 2013, 07:25 PM »

She said that he could be quite rude and rather arrogant with the officials and helpers.  He was always very good with the public and gave them time with autographs etc.  I must admit at the time I was surprised.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #64 on: February 06, 2013, 08:46 PM »

She said that he could be quite rude and rather arrogant with the officials and helpers.  He was always very good with the public and gave them time with autographs etc.  I must admit at the time I was surprised.
I think Spaniards have a reputation for being a bit haughty, but I've never really liked Nadal as a person anyway, although I'm not too sure why. Think
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #65 on: February 06, 2013, 08:49 PM »

I have been amazed at how many people I have met dislike Nadal.  I worked with a Spanish young man who really did not have any time for him.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #66 on: February 07, 2013, 01:51 AM »

I'm sure Andy and Ivan will be preparing for the 2 USA tournaments as Andy has said he is trying to be consistent and win more, especially the Masters and will be working on his clay court game as well. There is no way Ivan and Andy would put themselves in a position to play badly in IW. My understanding was he would concentrating on these and that is why he wasn't going to Dubai. Ivan is a clever man and will be making sure that Andy comes into this part of the season in the best possible form.
I very much got the impression from Andy that the clay-court season was his main focus, so surely if that's the case he'll be working mainly on clay?  He didn't seem to be worried about IW and Miami because he says he gets used to hard-courts much more quickly.  He could always switch to hard the week before IW especially as I'm sure neither he nor Lendl want a repeat of 2011/2012.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #67 on: February 07, 2013, 08:40 AM »

She said that he could be quite rude and rather arrogant with the officials and helpers.  He was always very good with the public and gave them time with autographs etc.  I must admit at the time I was surprised.

I'm very surprised too! Think
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #68 on: February 07, 2013, 09:27 AM »

I very much got the impression from Andy that the clay-court season was his main focus, so surely if that's the case he'll be working mainly on clay?  He didn't seem to be worried about IW and Miami because he says he gets used to hard-courts much more quickly.  He could always switch to hard the week before IW especially as I'm sure neither he nor Lendl want a repeat of 2011/2012.
That is what I was saying as well, but I was replying to an earlier post, which was inferring that by concentrating on the clay he wouldn't be ready for the IW etc.
Hope you are not suffering with the cold and snow. Have not had any snow in Taunton.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #69 on: February 07, 2013, 11:03 AM »

I have been amazed at how many people I have met dislike Nadal.  I worked with a Spanish young man who really did not have any time for him.

I've always been a bit neither here nor there about Nadal. I sort of like him, but I wouldn't call myself a fan by any means. His brand of tennis is a bit brutish for my taste.

The one moment I could have got really angry with him was when he shoved passed Rosol at one of the changes of ends at Wimbledon. I know Nadal was being humiliated really, but I did think he could have conducted himself with a bit more grace than that. He came across as a bit of a brat. It was a bit surprising to be honest. He usually seems quite respectful of opponents.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #70 on: February 07, 2013, 04:22 PM »

Nadal has always been very supportive with Andy, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt!.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #71 on: February 07, 2013, 04:51 PM »

Like most of the top players Nadal's behaviour off-court is the polar opposite to it on-court. I mean if you watched his general demeanour while he's playing tennis you wouldn't fancy meeting him in a dark alley late at night. At least not unless you were armed with a large screwdriver or something. Same with Andy to be honest. But they are very pleasant people off-court. Joker is a bit arrogant. Fed is slightly aloof but I like the way he doesn't make out he's best friends with the other players. I prefer to see a bit of an edge  between the top guys.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #72 on: February 07, 2013, 09:07 PM »

Like most of the top players Nadal's behaviour off-court is the polar opposite to it on-court. I mean if you watched his general demeanour while he's playing tennis you wouldn't fancy meeting him in a dark alley late at night. At least not unless you were armed with a large screwdriver or something. Same with Andy to be honest. But they are very pleasant people off-court. Joker is a bit arrogant. Fed is slightly aloof but I like the way he doesn't make out he's best friends with the other players. I prefer to see a bit of an edge  between the top guys.

I would have no objection to meeting Andy in a dark alley late at night!!!
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #73 on: February 07, 2013, 09:52 PM »

The only time I thought Rafa as being rather arrogant was when he was making a monkey of Rosol in that press conference after that epic match. I show great respect for Rafa. Probably my next favourite player after Andy.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #74 on: February 08, 2013, 02:23 AM »

That is what I was saying as well, but I was replying to an earlier post, which was inferring that by concentrating on the clay he wouldn't be ready for the IW etc.
Hope you are not suffering with the cold and snow. Have not had any snow in Taunton.
Sorry for any misunderstanding.  No snow here thankfully, just very cold but with quite a bit of sun for a change.

Djoko doesn't come across to me as being arrogant at all off-court, and even Federer can be quite pleasant.  I do agree though about the buddy-buddy thing between Murray-Nadal and Murray-Djokovic.  Maybe they are friends off-court but I don't like it being dragged into interviews all the time.  Also I wish Andy would stop saying how much he respects Rafa and concentrates on beating him instead.

I would have no objection to meeting Andy in a dark alley late at night!!!
He'd probably just take you by the arm and guide you safely home ... Smile

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »