Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson, Friday, Time - 12 noon BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013?

(Read 5923 times)
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « on: January 28, 2013, 06:41 PM »

Any thoughts?     I think 2011 was a better clay season than 2012.      I think Andy struggled with injury in the clay season and I didn't think he performed at his best.  It's going to be hard to beat Rafa and Novak  that's for sure 
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 06:57 PM »

He only tends to play the big clay events, with all the other top guys so on previous form you would have to say no. I mean even vs ferrer, berdych, potro he wouldnt be a big favorite.

But with the improvements he can make, who knows now Andy has a big FH he could be very dangerous on the clay.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 07:10 PM »

Well if anyone can recall the semi-final match Andy played versus Joker in the Rome Masters in April 2011 where Andy served for the match you wouldn't say he can't win a clay court tournament. Joker somehow won that match and the next day beat Rafa in the final. People are saying Andy can't move properly on clay so how come he was within a fraction of beating Joker in 3 sets in Rome?

Current odds for the French Open;

Rafa Nadal 6/5
Novak Djokovic 13/8
Andy Murray 8/1
Roger Federer 11/1
Juan Martin Del Potro 14/1
David Ferrer 20/1
Tomas Berdych 40/1
Jo Wilfried Tsonga 50/1
Nicolas Almagro 80/1
Milos Raonic 100/1
Gael Monfils 100/1
Richard Gasquet 100/1
Jerzy Janowicz 100/1
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 07:16 PM »

The clay season could actually be a blessing in disguise, he is under no pressure to do great which actually means he can play around with some New ideas which paradoxically could mean he has a great clay season
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 07:18 PM »

Those odds for rafa as favourite are an absolute joke surely
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 07:53 PM »

Djokovic is red hot favourite in my eyes.

Would expect those odds to change when we see how Rafa is playing next month.

Fed at 11/1 isn't bad value.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 08:45 PM »

I predicted after the US Open that Andy would have a good clay season, I also said that the French would be Andy's next slam win. Either this year or next.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 08:46 PM »

I predicted after the US Open that Andy would have a good clay season, I also said that the French would be Andy's next slam win. Either this year or next.

You really are desperate for RTR aren't you.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 10:22 PM »

I don't think Andy will win a clay title this year, but hope he can improve on his 2012 clay season. He showed a lot of promise in 2011 - his matches against Rafa in Monte Carlo and Novak in Rome really showed his peak level on clay which pushed these guys hard.

His odds for the French Open seem very generous though - at the moment, I definitely wouldn't put him above Federer on clay, and players like Ferrer, Del Potro and Berdych have all had the better of him on clay in the past and would be threats in his draw.

Hopefully though Ivan can help Andy to improve his clay game. Now that the pressure is off in terms of winning a slam for the first time, perhaps they'll focus more on developing Andy's game and forming a more effective style for clay.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 11:52 PM »

He is due to reach a MS final, surely?
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 05:16 AM »

The clay season could actually be a blessing in disguise, he is under no pressure to do great which actually means he can play around with some New ideas which paradoxically could mean he has a great clay season

Good posting!
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 05:18 AM »

It is very much possible for Andy to win but, he will have to depend on a bit of luck too.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 06:37 AM »

Really interesting to see Rafa's form leading up to RG. Until we see it Nole has gotta be the favourite. Always think the big guys like JMDP and Berdych should do better on clay, they have a lot more time on the ball, but there again their serving is not so potent.
I believe all Ferrer's wins against Andy came on clay, so let's not get our hopes up too high Whistle
Also Andy has such a huge chance to win Wimbledon, now he's got Fed's measure, that I really don't want him getting "clay" feet suddenly.
Wink
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 01:57 PM »

I thought Nole was slightly out of it mentally after beating Federer at RG last year. And to beat both Nadal and Federer in succession on clay is a huge deal but I believe Nole will be more ready this time. He already has the taste and confidence beating Federer and his clay record vs Nadal to date is 3-2 (since 2011). While that looks good however, Nadal has won all their clay meetings in 2012 including RG. So Nole definitely has something to prove here and he should be ready as there's no better time to get Nadal than now.

As to the main subject here, our Andy, I think he’ll be the underdog all throughout clay season but I still don’t see him going all out, since the main target will be Wimbledon and he doesn’t want to burn out early. He should definitely go for opportunities if they present themselves before him but it’s still not time to go after clay titles. Ideal would be to stay consistent during the clay season and strike when opportunity opens up and gather some points to stay close in the race.   
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 04:43 PM »

Nope. I dunno if he will ever win a Clay tournament tbh.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »