Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013?

(Read 5504 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 05:14 PM »

2011 was good for Andy on the clay. That Rome Masters semi was fantastic, as was Monte Carlo against Rafa. It was also brilliant to see him get to the semi's at the FO, bearing in mind he injured his ankle in the third round.

2012 wasn't so great on the clay, but I still think the back problem was a big factor. Still, quarter finals at the FO wasn't bad against Ferrer, and I swear I'll remember that Gasquet match forever lol.

I think it would be brilliant if Andy could get a clay title, just to show that he can play on the surface, but I wouldn't like to judge how likely it is this year. I agree with EJ though, I'd just like to see him play consistently during the clay season. All the points he could make up would be a great help, surely.

As for the FO itself, I must admit that anything after the quarter finals would be brilliant in my eyes. Semi's again would be fantastic. Anything more than that would be a bonus. I'd die if he won the thing!

If Nadal isn't fully fit, the FO could be interesting. I'd say Djokovic would have to be favourite at the moment either way, although based on Rafa's past form you couldn't overlook him, so I can see, sort of, why he would be up there. Andy as third favourite sounds about right, although you can't overlook Federer.

Going back to Andy, I'd love him to do well at the FO, but I must admit my eyes are drawn more to Wimbledon this year. I know my feelings let me down (damned things!) over the WTF and the AO, but they are getting another chance at Wimbly.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 05:19 PM »

Hasn't Andy stated that clay is actually his best surface? considering that clay is the surface he grew up and trained on when he went to Spain in his teens, then surely it means he has actually underperformed on that surface?

I predcited some time agao that the French open this year may actually be his second slam win, crazy i know but i'm sticking with it.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 05:41 PM »

I'm so bored......   haha
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 09:56 PM »

Hasn't Andy stated that clay is actually his best surface? considering that clay is the surface he grew up and trained on when he went to Spain in his teens, then surely it means he has actually underperformed on that surface?

I predcited some time agao that the French open this year may actually be his second slam win, crazy i know but i'm sticking with it.
No. The ATP mistakenly stated it was his favourite surface, but as far as I'm aware Murray never said that.

He only spent two years playing there. He is far more at home on grass and hard. I wouldn't say he's under-performed on clay - he clearly struggles with the movement still, and when his movement is off it affects the rest of his game.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 10:36 PM »

No. The ATP mistakenly stated it was his favourite surface, but as far as I'm aware Murray never said that.

He only spent two years playing there. He is far more at home on grass and hard. I wouldn't say he's under-performed on clay - he clearly struggles with the movement still, and when his movement is off it affects the rest of his game.

Ah ok
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 11:01 PM »

Andy can do much better on clay than he has. He has to learn to use the slide to be at his most effective. Andy's style of tennis is very much sharp start/sharp stop ....which isnt really possible on clay surface. So yeah if he learns to slide into a shot he could be great on clay.

I like the fact that Lendl is now his coach....he was a great clay court player...and that will surely benefit Andy.

So yeah...I think Andy will win a clay court tournament at some point.

Whether Nadal returns in the same shape...time will tell....actually Nadal is going to have to return in better shape than he was at his peak. Djoko and Murray have raised the fitness bar sonce Nadal has been out.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 12:44 AM »

Andy can do much better on clay than he has. He has to learn to use the slide to be at his most effective. Andy's style of tennis is very much sharp start/sharp stop ....which isnt really possible on clay surface. So yeah if he learns to slide into a shot he could be great on clay.

It's not about Andy learning how to slide into shots to be great on clay though-he can't be sliding into shots much because of his bipartite patella.He'd risk ruining his knee completely if he did too much sliding.

Andy has said repeatedly though,that he wants to improve on clay this season-and with his determination,and Lendl's guidance and experience,I wouldn't bet against him!Hopefully we have lots to look forward to Smile
[ Last edit by xxdanixx January 31, 2013, 12:56 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 12:48 AM »

^ I agree that the main problem for Andy playing on clay is his bipartite patella.  I recall him saying once that clay aggravated it more than any other surface because of all the sliding involved, and that is inevitably going to affect his movement so could be the reason why he still struggles a bit on that surface.  I've noticed too that on clay he'll sometimes run round a ball in order to hit it rather than slide into the shot.

Despite this he reached three SFs in 2011, and in Monte Carlo he managed to give Nadal a stiff test even although he suffered an elbow injury whilst practising before the match. Last year he was hampered by a back problem in the run-up to RG.  So provided he remains injury free, I really can't see any reason why he shouldn't win a title this year, particularly as I agree with ABF that Nadal is going to have to do a lot of work to catch up physically with him and Djokovic, and that's assuming his own knee has fully recovered by the time the clay court season starts.
[ Last edit by Aileen January 31, 2013, 01:03 AM ] IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 12:53 AM »

I think one of the problems for Andy playing on clay is his bipartite patella.  I recall him saying once that clay aggravated it more than any other surface because of all the sliding involved, and that is inevitably going to affect his movement so could be the reason why he still struggles a bit on that surface.  I've noticed that on clay he'll sometimes run round a ball in order to hit it rather than slide into the shot - although as I'm not an expert maybe he has another reason for doing this.

No,you're right Aileen-the clay season is definitely tough on Andy's knees,and there's no way he could be doing a lot of sliding.He could cause himself terrible problems if he did too much-maybe even cause himself irreparable damage if he was stupid about it (which thankfully he isn't!) Unfortunately it is just one of those things that's going to be a disadvantage-but while it can't be changed,hopefully Lendl will have plenty of other ideas for Andy to work with to improve.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 01:05 AM »

No,you're right Aileen-the clay season is definitely tough on Andy's knees,and there's no way he could be doing a lot of sliding.He could cause himself terrible problems if he did too much-maybe even cause himself irreparable damage if he was stupid about it (which thankfully he isn't!) Unfortunately it is just one of those things that's going to be a disadvantage-but while it can't be changed,hopefully Lendl will have plenty of other ideas for Andy to work with to improve.
Sorry Dani, I edited my post after I read yours, which had been posted whilst I was typing mine. Smile

I think the fact that he runs round certain shots shows that he is trying to find ways of adapting his game so as to cause the minimum amount of stress to his knee, and, as you say, Lendl might have other options in mind.

I really do think the clay court season could be very interesting - and thankfully there will be none of the awful slippery blue stuff in Madrid this year.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 02:24 AM »

Watch and learn my friend. yes
"Grass isn't my best surface, it's probably my least favourite surface.. but probably my best chance that's going to come will be on the clay court or the hardcourt because they're the surfaces that I practice on a lot and the surface that suits my game the most."

But, as you say, it's interesting how he's turned out to be so successful on hard and grass.
He only spent two years playing there. He is far more at home on grass and hard.
This is an oldie that I've posted in the past, but maybe some of you haven't seen. Andy is 18 years old and living/learning in Barcelona. Terrible quality vid, but so adorably interesting.

[ Last edit by scotnadian January 31, 2013, 02:47 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 03:08 AM »

^ That is so cute.  Thanks for posting Linda.  I love the way he says he wants to make the top 10 in the world, that he's just going to keep working hard and won't be satisfied until he gets there.  Well he certainly achieved that ambition and more!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 07:55 AM »

Watch and learn my friend. yes
"Grass isn't my best surface, it's probably my least favourite surface.. but probably my best chance that's going to come will be on the clay court or the hardcourt because they're the surfaces that I practice on a lot and the surface that suits my game the most."

But, as you say, it's interesting how he's turned out to be so successful on hard and grass.This is an oldie that I've posted in the past, but maybe some of you haven't seen. Andy is 18 years old and living/learning in Barcelona. Terrible quality vid, but so adorably interesting.

When was that, 2005? Things change.

Didn't realise he was still living in Spain at 18. Think It didn't last long though, after starting out on the Futures circuits in South America and Spain he started playing more hard courts and of course got wild cards into Queens and Wimbledon in 2005 (before his rank was high enough in 2006 for direct entry).

When did he move to London then?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 09:04 AM »

I'm sure Andy's knee is an issue for him on the clay, and has held him back. I know he has said that it is the surface he finds most difficult, for that reason.

Without making Andy sound like a wreck, I also wondered about his ankles in terms of sliding. Wouldn't sliding put a lot of strain on the ankles? - I know, stupid question, but because I don't walk it's not something I know about. I was just thinking that Andy has had ankle injuries in the past, and last year one of the comms said he only has one working ligament in the one ankle (not sure how many you're supposed to have) so I could imagine that he'd be a bit wary of sliding if it was likely to risk a serious injury.

I think Lendl will be of great help to Andy on the clay. He was a great clay courter and is bound to have some valuable input.

The irony is that I've heard comms saying that Andy's game would be ideal for clay, but none of them seem to be able to qualify why, for the sake of those of us who don't know these things. Any thoughts?
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 09:57 AM »

Lovely video, thanks.  He was determined but still the modest person he is now.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »