Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013?

(Read 5558 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #90 on: February 10, 2013, 05:22 PM »

I've never found Andy as an ungracious loser but he does hate losing. I don't think he takes it personally (blames the other player) but rather he thinks he shouldn't have lost the match.

That's exactly what I was trying to say. Andy doesn't like losing at all, none of them do, but I think he hates it if he loses because of not playing well.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #91 on: February 10, 2013, 05:27 PM »

That's exactly what I was trying to say. Andy doesn't like losing at all, none of them do, but I think he hates it if he loses because of not playing well.
I agree - he hates to lose, but sadly he has a wealth of experience in doing just that.  I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing.  What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!  cmon yeah
[ Last edit by Elly February 10, 2013, 05:31 PM ] IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #92 on: February 10, 2013, 05:38 PM »

Bad loser? Where did this come from? Andy doesn't exactly start panning someone's head in just because he beat him. That would be my definition of a bad loser. He does the necessary. Shake hands with his opponent, then the umpire, then leaves the court ASAP. And he's usually very gracious in the post-match interviews.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #93 on: February 10, 2013, 05:43 PM »

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!  cmon yeah

Now that is a sentiment I agree with wholeheartedly, and one I try to live my life by. I'm sure it applies to Andy. We've witnessed the tough times with him, but I think we've all seen, and are seeing, his strength of character in picking himself up and getting better. I'm full of admiration for him.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #94 on: February 10, 2013, 07:47 PM »

Now that is a sentiment I agree with wholeheartedly, and one I try to live my life by. I'm sure it applies to Andy. We've witnessed the tough times with him, but I think we've all seen, and are seeing, his strength of character in picking himself up and getting better. I'm full of admiration for him.

OK calm down. We're talking about someone playing tennis for a living here, not going into a battle. He's a young man and all young men take knocks whatever they are doing. Most get back on the horse, not just Andy. Does a guy who works in say an office for 9 hours a day try less hard than Andy who lets face it has a dream job/lifestyle.
IP Logged
strider
Junior

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #95 on: February 10, 2013, 07:55 PM »

I don't condone his behaviour, but at least Andy has never made any secret of the fact that he absolutely HATES losing,   He even says in his autobiography that, when he was a child, members of his family used to let him win things like card and board games because he used to go into such a strop when he lost.

Whilst I can understand it to some extent, because it is the easy way out, I'm afraid that they have to take some of the responsibility for the way he behaves as an adult - and he certainly wouldn't have got away with it in my family!  I'm not saying he should have got a good smacking, because I don't believe that ultimately that's the answer, but, with a little patience, there are other ways of getting it across to children that they can't always be the winner.

And now I've probably upset the PC brigade who think it's psychologically damaging for children to be losers ... Rolling Eyes

Glasgow Uni somehow gave me a degree in Psychology - given my lack of effort, I've lost all respect for the place! Very Happy

However, whilst studying that, I kinda came to the conclusion that it's psychologically healthier to blame others and feel "cheated" after losing than it is to internalise it all. If you can mix hard work and understanding where you need to improve with an ability to shake off losses as "someone else's fault", it's probably the best mix.

I reckon the top players do that to some extent. I think Brad Gilbert tried to introduce this with Andy all those years ago, and we've seen how difficult he's found it to recover from big losses in the past as compared to Djokovic, Nadal or Federer (the only players he can be judged against in terms of talent). I think Andy has learned how to handle it all better now, hence his reaction after Wimbledon, and I wouldn't be surprised if part of that is to deflect some of the blame.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #96 on: February 10, 2013, 08:10 PM »

Glasgow Uni somehow gave me a degree in Psychology - given my lack of effort, I've lost all respect for the place! Very Happy

However, whilst studying that, I kinda came to the conclusion that it's psychologically healthier to blame others and feel "cheated" after losing than it is to internalise it all. If you can mix hard work and understanding where you need to improve with an ability to shake off losses as "someone else's fault", it's probably the best mix.

I reckon the top players do that to some extent. I think Brad Gilbert tried to introduce this with Andy all those years ago, and we've seen how difficult he's found it to recover from big losses in the past as compared to Djokovic, Nadal or Federer (the only players he can be judged against in terms of talent). I think Andy has learned how to handle it all better now, hence his reaction after Wimbledon, and I wouldn't be surprised if part of that is to deflect some of the blame.
It's always easier to blame others.  I think the 'manning up' is taking responsibility for yourself.  I think Andy is getting to that place now. 
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #97 on: February 11, 2013, 01:55 AM »

Hey, here's another one. If you are not busy living, then you are busy dying. Similarly, if you are not busy winning then you are busy losing...I think it's pretty good.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #98 on: February 11, 2013, 02:13 AM »

No-one has called Andy a bad loser - why do people keep on arguing a case no-one has brought up?
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #99 on: February 11, 2013, 02:57 AM »

Andy isn't a bad loser, more a case of a dissapointed loser and it shows more on him than most i feel, he looks utterly dejected at times :p
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #100 on: February 11, 2013, 11:28 AM »

No-one has called Andy a bad loser - why do people keep on arguing a case no-one has brought up?

Um, I did :P
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #101 on: February 11, 2013, 02:07 PM »

Um, I did :P
[/qu

Jolly brave of you to admit it Well done! Honesty and being responsible for one's actions  are much better than the claptrap preached  by lecturers in Psychology  at Glasgow University.

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #102 on: February 11, 2013, 02:59 PM »

OK calm down. We're talking about someone playing tennis for a living here, not going into a battle. He's a young man and all young men take knocks whatever they are doing. Most get back on the horse, not just Andy. Does a guy who works in say an office for 9 hours a day try less hard than Andy who lets face it has a dream job/lifestyle.

Oh do give it a rest BN. It's called having an opinion and being free to express it.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #103 on: February 11, 2013, 03:03 PM »

Jolly brave of you to admit it Well done! Honesty and being responsible for one's actions  are much better than the claptrap preached  by lecturers in Psychology  at Glasgow University.

Ha ha..thank you Smile
IP Logged
Moozza

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #104 on: February 11, 2013, 07:26 PM »

Andy can win a clay tournament for sure. Maybe RG, I would not rule it out personally. His forehand has improved so much and that could make a huge difference. I get the impression he is very focused on doing well on clay this year.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »