Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013?

(Read 5854 times)
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #120 on: February 14, 2013, 10:11 PM »

I don't know about Andy choking. I know who I would like to choke! I'm absolutely fed up with certain people always having Andy choking. Just as well you are in Sussex and I'm in the West country! Whistle

Ive still the recording of this match. Joker had an unbelieveably lucky net-cord in the game when Andy was serving for the match. He was long odds-on to lose the point but fluked it. Thats a 2 point swing right there. But Andy matched Joker in that match right to the end. Funny thing is Joker beat Nadal easily in the final the next day.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #121 on: February 15, 2013, 12:43 AM »

While Zeballos played really well and showed no sign of mental breakdown, Rafa did get tight at 4-5 when he ended up losing all 3 points giving Zeballos a 0-40 lead! shocking

It happens to all of them.

You are right, some people are  bit too hung up on Andy losing and contributing everything to choking whilst it's not the case each time

To quote John McEnroe - "Players choke all the time, only some do it more often than others", and Andy certainly does not fall into the latter category.

Like sh*t, eh?
Except Robbie doesn't need anything to get him going. Rolling Eyes

Having just watched Nadal defeat the world #140 Joao Souza  (the Brazilian player, that is - not the Portuguese Joao Sousa that Andy played in the AO) 6-3, 6-4, I'm inclined to agree with him too.  As the comm said during the 2nd set, "Nadal's mystique has gone".

Souza played a reasonably solid game, helped by some very good serving, but Nadal would have lost against a better and more experienced opponent.  The fact is that these guys are no longer going to fear Nadal and so will just go all out because they have nothing to lose.  Souza never looked fazed, but Nadal, whether or not it was the after-effects of Chile, seemed nervous (the bum-tugging was well on the go, which is always a bad sign) and his movement round the court was sluggish.

I don't under-estimate Nadal, but, as I see it right now, unless he improves dramatically by the start of the clay court season and gets his confidence back, then his chances of meeting Andy in any of his tournaments look somewhat remote. 
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #122 on: February 15, 2013, 01:46 AM »

I think Andy is going to do really well on clay this year, he seems so relaxed, and happy with his game, why not . yay
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #123 on: February 15, 2013, 02:22 AM »

The final will be interesting, should Nadal and Almagro both make it there. Although I don't think Almagro really has it in him to beat Nadal. His multi-choke against Ferrer in Melbourne was horrific.

Nalbandian/Almagro tomorrow in the Quarters should be a good'un.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #124 on: February 15, 2013, 03:31 AM »

Yes I'm looking forward to that match, which is scheduled for around 7 pm GMT.  H2H is 3-2 to Nalby.  Nadal vs Berlocq could be interesting as well because they've never met before, although on paper at least Nadal should win.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #125 on: February 15, 2013, 12:18 PM »

Berlocq is a solid, experienced clay courter and Nadal is clearly far from his best, so who knows. Depends largely on whether he gets fazed by Nadal's aura or not.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #126 on: February 15, 2013, 12:29 PM »

Berlocq is a solid, experienced clay courter and Nadal is clearly far from his best, so who knows. Depends largely on whether he gets fazed by Nadal's aura or not.

Re Nadal's aura - Zeballos tweeted this before his match on Sunday, but was impressively unfazed!

Preparandome para enfrentar a "Dios" en la cancha de tenis hoy! Smile

Preparing to face "God" in the tennis court today! Smile

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #127 on: February 15, 2013, 05:13 PM »

Re Nadal's aura - Zeballos tweeted this before his match on Sunday, but was impressively unfazed!

Preparandome para enfrentar a "Dios" en la cancha de tenis hoy! Smile

Preparing to face "God" in the tennis court today! Smile
That depends on how you see the fact that he put the word Dios in quotes. Smile  I've often used quotes myself if I'm being sarcastic about someone or something.  Whatever, it certainly didn't stop Zeballos from beating him!
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #128 on: February 15, 2013, 06:49 PM »

That depends on how you see the fact that he put the word Dios in quotes. Smile  I've often used quotes myself if I'm being sarcastic about someone or something.  Whatever, it certainly didn't stop Zeballos from beating him!

Good point Aileen - hadn't thought of that!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #129 on: February 15, 2013, 09:49 PM »

Nalbandian/Almagro tomorrow in the Quarters should be a good'un.
So that's Nalby out.  Beaten 7-6(7-5), 3-6, 7-6(7-3) by Almagro.  I didn't see it because I'd been watching Fed vs Benneteau but it sounds like it was a pretty good match.  Will watch the catch-up video though.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #130 on: February 16, 2013, 01:37 AM »

So that's Nalby out.  Beaten 7-6(7-5), 3-6, 7-6(7-3) by Almagro.  I didn't see it because I'd been watching Fed vs Benneteau but it sounds like it was a pretty good match.  Will watch the catch-up video though.
Other way round wasn't it?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy win a clay tournament in 2013? « Reply #131 on: February 16, 2013, 01:46 AM »

Other way round wasn't it?
It was. doh   Never got round to watching the video replay either.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »