Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Del Potro Over-take Andy this year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Del Potro Over-take Andy this year?

(Read 1513 times)
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Will Del Potro Over-take Andy this year? « on: March 28, 2012, 11:13 PM »

Del Potro looks to me to be only a few matches away from top form again.

He is the only candidate as far as I can see who can break into the top 4.

The rest seem to be a level below but Del Potro has won a major.

His forehand is flipping awesome.
He is very consistent on the backhand.
He rarely makes unforced errors.
Great serve.

But is he too predictable?
 He isn't exactly a subtle player. His recent matches with Federer were slug-fests.
Has he the the variation in his game to get into the big 4. Is his movement good enough?

Im not sure but I am sure he is the only one who has any chance.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Will Del Potro Over-take Andy this year? « Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 11:14 PM »

In a word - NO!
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Will Del Potro Over-take Andy this year? « Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 11:18 PM »

Del Potro looks to me to be only a few matches away from top form again.

He is the only candidate as far as I can see who can break into the top 4.

The rest seem to be a level below but Del Potro has won a major.

His forehand is flipping awesome.
He is very consistent on the backhand.
He rarely makes unforced errors.
Great serve.

But is he too predictable?
 He isn't exactly a subtle player. His recent matches with Federer were slug-fests.
Has he the the variation in his game to get into the big 4. Is his movement good enough?

Im not sure but I am sure he is the only one who has any chance.
It's a nice thought but I dont think he's found his former consistency as yet. Its been a long come-back road for him.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Del Potro Over-take Andy this year? « Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 11:27 PM »

To be blunt - no.

His losses to Federer and Ferrer (amongst others) are proof of that. He's still some way from where he was in August 2009.

I think he'll be the man to take Federer's spot in the top 4 when he finally falls away/retires, and I think he'll win another couple of slams in his career.. but not for a few years yet.

Tomic and Raonic are future top tenners, I can see Tomic being the next Grand Slam winner from that pack (Djokovic and Nadal can't win them forever!).

But in the present I don't see anyone breaking that top 4 (injury-permitting) until Federer retires/falls away.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Will Del Potro Over-take Andy this year? « Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 12:05 AM »

I watched Del play David Ferrer and he is no way going to overtake Andy
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Will Del Potro Over-take Andy this year? « Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 07:29 PM »

NO owned
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Will Del Potro Over-take Andy this year? « Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 08:15 PM »

Odd thread this - where's it coming from, planet Troll? confused
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Will Del Potro Over-take Andy this year? « Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 10:19 PM »

To be fair Fiverings this thread is not as odd as you.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Will Del Potro Over-take Andy this year? « Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 10:41 PM »

NO but he might get to no.5 or even 4 if Smug collapses in the 2nd half of the year.  At the start of the year I fancied him to overtake Ferrer but, after yesterday, maybe not.

DP will never win another major and, of course, he's never even won a Masters title - 2008 USO was a one-off never t be repeated
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Will Del Potro Over-take Andy this year? « Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 10:49 PM »

Good point. I wasn't aware he had never won a Masters. The reason I posed the question was because Del Potro won a major when he was only 20. So how good should he be with more experience and after developing even more physically? Maybe the USO was a one-off but remember DelPo had been on an amazing run that summer. So it wasn't exactly out the blue.

Andy to be fair to him has reached 3 finals but has been demolished in each one. Andy could make the break through at any time and I don't think he has ever lost to DelPo.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Will Del Potro Over-take Andy this year? « Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 10:54 PM »

To be fair Fiverings this thread is not as odd as you.
QED cmon yeah
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Del Potro Over-take Andy this year? « Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 11:17 PM »

NO but he might get to no.5 or even 4 if Smug collapses in the 2nd half of the year.  At the start of the year I fancied him to overtake Ferrer but, after yesterday, maybe not.

DP will never win another major and, of course, he's never even won a Masters title - 2008 USO was a one-off never t be repeated
Bit of an odd call that. Maybe not in the not-too-distant future but you can't rule him out a few years down the line. He's got the ability, both technically, and most vitally, mentally - as he proved in US 2009. Definitely capable of winning more slams, but a while 'til he's back at his best. Look at the likes of Ferrer, Tipsarevic, Fish, etc - playing their best tennis in their late 30's. If they can make improvements like that there's no reason Del Potro can't reach and and go further than his standard in 2009.

I'll be surprised if he never wins a slam, EVER again.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Will Del Potro Over-take Andy this year? « Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 11:50 PM »

There was someone else on this site who kept saying Djokovic would never win another major!
Look how that turned out.
IP Logged
dave_ladder
Junior

Re: Will Del Potro Over-take Andy this year? « Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 01:11 AM »

Bit of an odd call that. Maybe not in the not-too-distant future but you can't rule him out a few years down the line. He's got the ability, both technically, and most vitally, mentally - as he proved in US 2009. Definitely capable of winning more slams, but a while 'til he's back at his best. Look at the likes of Ferrer, Tipsarevic, Fish, etc - playing their best tennis in their late 30's. If they can make improvements like that there's no reason Del Potro can't reach and and go further than his standard in 2009.

I'll be surprised if he never wins a slam, EVER again.

I would never rule him out from winning another slam, but I think the problem with him isn't so much that he needs to get back to his best, but that he lost a full year of development. Back in 2009 he was competing with the top four, but all four of them are much better now than they were in 2009. Tennis players constantly adjust and improve and even Federer is a much better player now than he was 3 years ago (despite the extra age). Del Potro doesn't just need to get back to where he was in 2009, he needs to get to where Djokovic, Nadal, Federer and Murray are in 2012.

That's his big problem and it's something that I think he might never recover from. When you lose a full year of development at such a key age it isn't just a question of becoming fit again. You can't get that year back and I think it's something which could limit his potential for the rest of his career.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Will Del Potro Over-take Andy this year? « Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 10:17 AM »

I would never rule him out from winning another slam, but I think the problem with him isn't so much that he needs to get back to his best, but that he lost a full year of development. Back in 2009 he was competing with the top four, but all four of them are much better now than they were in 2009. Tennis players constantly adjust and improve and even Federer is a much better player now than he was 3 years ago (despite the extra age). Del Potro doesn't just need to get back to where he was in 2009, he needs to get to where Djokovic, Nadal, Federer and Murray are in 2012.

That's his big problem and it's something that I think he might never recover from. When you lose a full year of development at such a key age it isn't just a question of becoming fit again. You can't get that year back and I think it's something which could limit his potential for the rest of his career.

I agree with all of the above Dave and I also think there is a bit question mark hanging over Delpo's physicality - he just seems to be one of these players who will be constantly injury prone.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »