Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will be crowned winner?
Murray in 3
Murray in 4
Murray in 5
Djokovic in 3
Djokovic in 4
Djokovic in 5

Pages: 1 ... 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 ... 179 Go Down Reply
Author

Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic

(Read 30556 times)
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2490 on: July 08, 2013, 10:04 PM »

An amazing day for Murray fans, I woke up this morning and had to think hard before I realized he'd won it!
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2491 on: July 08, 2013, 10:11 PM »

Well now you know 2 out of 4. #flutters lashes

Actually I was also one of the pollers who voted for Andy in 3 ... but then a day later I changed my mind to Djoko in 4... ye of little faith...should have retained my gut feel
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2492 on: July 08, 2013, 10:14 PM »

Andy's column on winning

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23229819
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2493 on: July 08, 2013, 10:19 PM »

I picked Andy to win in 3 sets.I did say to tj that I thought Andy would win in 4 sets. Forgetting that I'd already picked him to win in 3 sets.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2494 on: July 08, 2013, 10:21 PM »

Interesting that Cahill in his comms match analysis said that he didnt think it was the best standard of tennis. I normally agree with much of what he says ...but not yesterday. I thought both players gave their all... and people watching who claim that Djoko had dipped due to his match v Del Po ..I dont get the logic....it could equally be argued that Andy played an Intense 9 sets (QF + SF) prior to the final compared to 8 sets for Djoko. Nobody cut Andy any slack when he lost the OZ open final carrying obvious injury so Im not cutting Djoko any... Djoko was deemed great then ....Im deeming Andy great this time.

last 3 slam finals .... Andy 2 Djoko 1 .... that result doesnt lie Smile)
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2495 on: July 08, 2013, 10:29 PM »

Woke up for work this morning and thought it was my alarm waking me up for the match. But it actually happened didn't it? Like everyone else I feel like I'm walking on clouds at the moment. Listened to the BBC 5live podcast on the way to work, they replayed the commentary from match point, trophy presentation and interviews with Judy, Willy, Penny Perry and Chris Hoy. Yep, cried on the bus this time! lol
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 July 09, 2013, 12:30 AM ] IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2496 on: July 08, 2013, 10:47 PM »

There has been alot of coverage and analysis of Andy and the match throughout the US ...all positive and in admiration of his achievement.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2497 on: July 08, 2013, 10:53 PM »

Do see a lot of people confusing Murray's win as the first British person to win Wimbledon in 77 years when obviously the women's tennis has had more recent winners.

Stupidity. Rolling Eyes
   Yes Wade won in !977 - more sevens in the mix!
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2498 on: July 08, 2013, 10:55 PM »

Interesting that Cahill in his comms match analysis said that he didnt think it was the best standard of tennis. I normally agree with much of what he says ...but not yesterday. I thought both players gave their all... and people watching who claim that Djoko had dipped due to his match v Del Po ..I dont get the logic....it could equally be argued that Andy played an Intense 9 sets (QF + SF) prior to the final compared to 8 sets for Djoko. Nobody cut Andy any slack when he lost the OZ open final carrying obvious injury so Im not cutting Djoko any... Djoko was deemed great then ....Im deeming Andy great this time.

last 3 slam finals .... Andy 2 Djoko 1 .... that result doesnt lie Smile)
Cahill was right, it wasn't the best standard of Tennis. It was food, but lets be honest, 25 shot rallies a game of pong on the atari each point aren't exactly amazing.

But I am not complaining.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2499 on: July 08, 2013, 10:55 PM »

Don't forget Jamie won the mixed doubles in 2007 too.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2500 on: July 08, 2013, 10:57 PM »

Yes Wade won in !977 - more sevens in the mix!

Wonder if Wade sent Andy a nice congratulations? ...doubt it.. havent seen any quotes from her praising Andy's achievements. Maybe there are in UK media....
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2501 on: July 08, 2013, 11:00 PM »

Cahill was right, it wasn't the best standard of Tennis. It was food, but lets be honest, 25 shot rallies a game of pong on the atari each point aren't exactly amazing.

But I am not complaining.

I dont think the length of a rally is a strong indicator of the quality of tennis... maybe its a strong indicator of how even a match is or isnt.

Also the on court temp was very high...so neither player wanted to extent the the rallies which were obviously extremely draining for both guys.

Tennis, I think, is no longer about playing consistently exhibition style tennis with fanciful shot making and net coverage... Its about winning the big points...and playing those points with smart tennis and occasionally amazing shot making.

People were creaming themselves over the Djoko v Del Po match and the quality of it ....but I reckon if you taken Andy's performance and replaced Djoko with Del Po...Andy would have won that in 3 straight also. Nobody was going to beat Andy yesterday... Not Djoko not Nadal Not Fed or Fred Perry on 3 gallons of Red Bull.  Therefore ...what really is quality tennis if that wasnt it? Wimbledon is the ultimate compettion in tennis .... Djoko and Andy were in the final on merit.... there is no better quality of tennis than what they produce when it matters.

I believe that stats are very deceptive and are never weighted against the quality of opponent. Take for example.... unforced errors... do they take into account the power, placement, variety of shot just played to player who returning? Nope they dont. Djoko played as well as he could against Andy period.
[ Last edit by ABF July 08, 2013, 11:40 PM ] IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2502 on: July 08, 2013, 11:29 PM »

Wonder if Wade sent Andy a nice congratulations? ...doubt it.. havent seen any quotes from her praising Andy's achievements. Maybe there are in UK media....
  None that I know of. I was hoping for a comment from Johnny Mac who I saw leaning out of his place in the comms box at the end to give Andy a handclasp on his way up to his team, but nothing so far. He's probably on a plane home today, I guess.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2503 on: July 08, 2013, 11:29 PM »

It was in his eyes the whole fortnight - no one was going to beat him and that was that. He'd decided. (I know it's not actually that simple but there was just this calm determination, destiny is maybe what it's called!) I remember in January after he dedicated his win in Brisbane to Ross, Ross then did an interview where he said his goal was to get through hs treatment and be fit to sit on centre court on Wimbledon final's day  and watch Andy lift the title. And I remember thinking ' bet he does too!' And he did!
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2504 on: July 09, 2013, 12:24 AM »

None that I know of. I was hoping for a comment from Johnny Mac who I saw leaning out of his place in the comms box at the end to give Andy a handclasp on his way up to his team, but nothing so far. He's probably on a plane home today, I guess.

If you look up the ESPN footage of Andy climbing up to his box on youtube,when he passes the comms box Mac actually kind of sticks his head out and shakes his hand (I think,it's a bit hard to see) and congratulates him warmly then.I guess that didn't get shown on BBC,because I don't remember seeing it!But it's there alright-nice moment Smile
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 ... 179 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »