Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 2. - 6 (20%)
Murray in 3. - 22 (73.3%)
Federer in 2. - 1 (3.3%)
Federer in 3. - 1 (3.3%)
Total Voters: 30

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] Go Down Reply
Author

Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer

(Read 4892 times)
ST Essex
Satellite Level

Re: Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer « Reply #480 on: August 17, 2014, 07:14 PM »

Nowhere near top ten level? He is not on good form but,
Currently number 9
Made semi and quarter in recent slams
Beat the world no 11 a few days ago

Think we can allow that he is somewhere near to 10

I'm aware of his actual ranking. However his current form isn't close to matching it and His ranking will soon reflect that unless he addresses his issues.

We really can't compare this to Djokovic, who has come off a grand slam win recently. Yes, his previous two tournaments have been worse than Andy's.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer « Reply #481 on: August 17, 2014, 08:15 PM »

I realize this will show my ignorance but ....will some one please explain apart from it lookiing bad being seeded number 9 what other disadvantages are there for  Andy.Thank you.
IP Logged
Geo
Futures Level

Re: Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer « Reply #482 on: August 17, 2014, 08:29 PM »

I realize this will show my ignorance but ....will some one please explain apart from it lookiing bad being seeded number 9 what other disadvantages are there for  Andy.Thank you.

At the USO Murray will play one of Dimitrov, Berdych, Ferrer or Raonic in the last 16 should they both get to that round.  Instead of the usual 25-32 seeded player in the 3rd round it would be someone seeded 17 to 24.  Also, in the Shanghai tournament he'll have to play a first round match instead of getting a bye into the second round.
[ Last edit by Geo August 17, 2014, 08:40 PM ] IP Logged
althusser
Junior

Re: Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer « Reply #483 on: August 17, 2014, 09:07 PM »

I'm a

I'm aware of his actual ranking. However his current form isn't close to matching it and H

You are not providing any evidence for this, which isn't surprisingly as what you say is straightforwardly false.
IP Logged
ST Essex
Satellite Level

Re: Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer « Reply #484 on: August 17, 2014, 09:53 PM »

You are not providing any evidence for this, which isn't surprisingly as what you say is straightforwardly false.

If you want evidence then I suggest you watch some of his recent matches.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer « Reply #485 on: August 17, 2014, 10:01 PM »

No point being surprised that this year isn't exactly his best!
I think the events of the last 12 months - surgery, Lendl - cannot be underestimated as regards him physically and mentally.
I think the Isner win totally drained him - and he simply could not raise his game.

I think it will take time still for him to address both the physical and the mental issues, and rebuild his self-belief.
He seems to believe that Mauresmo will help him, so let's see.
Well said matchpoint.  It's early days yet to assess what effect Mauresmo will have on his game physically and psychologically.  Even with Lendl it took a while for the effects to become noticeable.  One thing I will say and that is that she seems to have a good effect on his on-court behaviour generally, something Andy said himself.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer « Reply #486 on: August 17, 2014, 10:08 PM »

Well said matchpoint.  It's early days yet to assess what effect Mauresmo will have on his game physically and psychologically.  Even with Lendl it took a while for the effects to become noticeable.  One thing I will say and that is that she seems to have a good effect on his on-court behaviour generally, something Andy said himself.

Agreed Aileen.     And Lendl took over at a time when Andy had been on a good run of wins.
Amelie came in to a much more difficult scenario.   
IP Logged
althusser
Junior

Re: Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer « Reply #487 on: August 17, 2014, 10:13 PM »

If you want evidence then I suggest you watch some of his recent matches.
I said you have no evidence, because there is none. I have seen his matches including a win over the world number 11 just days ago.

If you want to claim that he is somehow 'nowhere near' top ten level, all your work is ahead of you
IP Logged
ST Essex
Satellite Level

Re: Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer « Reply #488 on: August 17, 2014, 10:58 PM »

I said you have no evidence, because there is none. I have seen his matches including a win over the world number 11 just days ago.

If you want to claim that he is somehow 'nowhere near' top ten level, all your work is ahead of you

Nick Kyrgios beat Nadal, the then world number 1, at Wimbledon. So, as a counter argument, does that make him a top player when in fact he was ranked outside the top 100?

Bearting a player of a certain rank in one match does not really provide evidence to back up the other player's ranking.

We all know that Andy is a top ten player on ability and skill and he's proves this. But on CURRENT form this year (notice the capitalisation), he isn't close to being a consistent top ten player. If the current form continues, his ranking will eventually reflect it.

By the way, I fully expect Andy to turn things around, and I wouldn't bet a lot of money against him actually winning the US open. Andy is that much of an enigma.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer « Reply #489 on: August 17, 2014, 11:17 PM »

At the USO Murray will play one of Dimitrov, Berdych, Ferrer or Raonic in the last 16 should they both get to that round.  Instead of the usual 25-32 seeded player in the 3rd round it would be someone seeded 17 to 24.  Also, in the Shanghai tournament he'll have to play a first round match instead of getting a bye into the second round.
Thanks Geo,appreciate the help.
IP Logged
althusser
Junior

Re: Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer « Reply #490 on: August 17, 2014, 11:17 PM »

Nick Kyrgios beat Nadal, the then world number 1, at Wimbledon. So, as a counter argument, does that make him a top player when in fact he was ranked outside the top 100?

Bearting a player of a certain rank in one match does not really provide evidence to back up the other player's ranking.

We all know that Andy is a top ten player on ability and skill and he's proves this. But on CURRENT form this year (notice the capitalisation), he isn't close to being a consistent top ten player. If the current form continues, his ranking will eventually reflect it.

By the way, I fully expect Andy to turn things around, and I wouldn't bet a lot of money against him actually winning the US open. Andy is that much of an enigma.
You are still making an assertion without apparent evidence. Let me try it another way, if Andy is nowhere near top ten, then who would you say should rank above him who is not in the actual top ten just now?. If Andy us nowhere near as you claim, you should be able to provide a long list

In any case I agree with you on the enigma point! Yes let's hope he can pull a surprise at the USO

[ Last edit by althusser August 18, 2014, 07:28 AM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »