Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will be crowned winner?
Murray in 3
Murray in 4
Murray in 5
Djokovic in 3
Djokovic in 4
Djokovic in 5

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 179 Go Down Reply
Author

Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic

(Read 30406 times)
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #255 on: July 07, 2013, 02:46 AM »

omggggggg he's on tomorrow, the biggest stage in the world
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #256 on: July 07, 2013, 02:48 AM »

omggggggg he's on tomorrow, the biggest stage in the world

Today.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #257 on: July 07, 2013, 02:55 AM »

Tomorrow for me in the US
IP Logged
meglisse

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #258 on: July 07, 2013, 03:28 AM »

7/7/2013 Gentlemen's Singles Final Wimbledon. N Djokovic v A Murray
God Speed bonnie lad.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #259 on: July 07, 2013, 03:29 AM »

Tomorrow for me in the US

tomorrow for me too....

Come on Andy!! You can do this!!!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #260 on: July 07, 2013, 03:37 AM »

Apparently Mo Lahyani in the chair. Apparently this is his first Slam final. Ridiculously overdue, easily one of the best in the business.
Well that's certainly good news, and I agree this is long overdue.  Also there's something about Molay that inspires confidence, although I'm not quite sure what it is.

I still feel that this match has a 50/50 outcome, but, although I know Andy will be disappointed if he doesn't win, as will all of us, what matters most is that he gives of his best, which is what I have no doubt he will try to do.  Win or lose, he's still achieved a lot that Britain should be proud of, and, with hopefully another five/six years of tennis left, he still has time to achieve a lot more.

IP Logged
CoolDude
Futures Level

us open champion 2012

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #261 on: July 07, 2013, 04:13 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151710076358701&set=a.163005263700.118436.24410993700&type=1
 every facebook comment wants Andy SMASHED  confused whats that about ?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #262 on: July 07, 2013, 04:40 AM »

OMG - that is really weird ... but looking at the first 100 names it seems that around 95% of them aren't British, and in fact a lot of them sound distinctly Serbian with the occasional Polish one thrown in, so maybe therein lies the clue?  At least there's a handful of Brits supporting Andy. 
[ Last edit by Aileen July 07, 2013, 04:49 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #263 on: July 07, 2013, 04:58 AM »

Facebook yuk Let the tennis do the talking.

What I don't want to see is Nole ripping his shirt off naughty
IP Logged
notnek
Futures Level

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #264 on: July 07, 2013, 05:52 AM »

A peak UK audience of 13.2 million watched Andy on Friday, around 2 million higher than last year's semi.

It's looking likely that today's match will beat last year's peak (16.9) and break the 17.3 million record set in 1980.
[ Last edit by notnek July 07, 2013, 06:07 AM ] IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #265 on: July 07, 2013, 06:18 AM »

To those complaining about how bad 1-6 (1/7) in Slam finals would be - Lendl (you know, one of the greats of the game) held the same record at one point.

Of course today would be an ideal time to finally stop the Lendl parallels, but that record isn't exactly the end of the world. Plenty of years left yet to win Slams (and Wimbledon) should the worst happen.

You mention that if only Andy could win the FO but Lendl never won Wimbledon in spite of being in finals.  So the comparison is similar.  

Obviously it would be wonderful if Andy can win today but he has done so well to be in the final of the last three GS's he has played.  I am sure that this is some kind of record.  I know he is the only player in history to reach the final of the next GS after winning his first.  That is a superb achievement in itself.

Best of luck, Andy.  Hope my really old and new dreams come true.

Sorry MH wrong post.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #266 on: July 07, 2013, 07:49 AM »

My first memories of Wimbledon were of Jeremy Bates.  I remember match point against Guy Forget, I remember someone in the crowd distracted him from his serve.  He might have lost anyway, but that little piece of hope went for the first time.  Every year since there has always been some hope, however fleeting.  We can all remember years when a few rounds for a British player was a major event.  Rarely, however, has what seemed impossible - a Wimbeldon champion - ever been likely.  And if it ever did fate was bound to conspire against us.  Even when Tiger Tim seemed destined, perhaps willed by a euphoric public on to the ultimate glory, even the rain conspired against us, and the dream went for another year.

Wimbledon is something we don't win, we have no possible hope of winning.  We turn up each year, imbibe some Pimms, consume our strawberries and cream, and marvel at the tennis produced by people from all corners of the world, with surnames we can at times barely pronounce.  Champions are McEnroe's, Borg's, Becker's, Federer's, Nadal's, Djokovic's - the very names re-enforce the unattainability of one of our most prestigious sporting events.  Every year we look failure again in the eye, the self-questioning begins, success seems every further away, even more impossible.  Winning Wimbledon becomes the very antithesis of Britishness, failure the yearly exemplification and painful reminder of our innate lack of tennis talent.

Andy Murray shouldn't be a Wimbledon champion.  The son of a middle class family, his parents divorced when he was a teenager.  He trained on sub standard courts, he didn't have the best coaching, the best players to play against.  He wasn't part of a 'structure' that was set up for success, every year all it produced was failure, a cathartic process we watched first-hand, or vicariously through our television screens.  If anyone remembers Andy's first appearance on a BBC Scotland news item, just after he had won the Orange Bowl, he spoke with a thick local accent, he was small and scrawny, and they filmed him hitting on clay courts in Dunblane that came complete with a puddle.  But we were told, in optimist fashion, that he might just be the next tennis champion.  Andy has succeeded in spite of a system that was set up for failure, that has produced no-one else of his or any other generation, apart from Tim Henman, in the last thirty years who looked remotely capable of achieving Wimbledon glory.  Yet, the irony is of course, that Andy has succeeded because of all these things, because it gave him a single-minded determination and a vision that he had to leave, he had to break the British tennis structure, and move abroad if he was to have any chance of achieving his dreams.  It was this inner belief and independence of spirit which have made him the success he is today.

I hope Andy wins tomorrow, but for the first time we can almost more than hope, we can expect that he will win.  With Tim, and certainly with Greg, hope was all there was, they were always one level below the very best, but not Andy.  He can achieve what none of us have ever seen, and for most of our lives have believed was impossible: become the Gentleman's Singles Champion at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club.  He can have his name inscribed on the board of champions, he can hold that beautiful golden trophy in front of a euphoric public.  It will be a heralded as a fantastic British sporting achievement, and in many ways it will be.  But in other respects it couldn't be less British, for Andy it is all about his family, the family he comes from, and that special family he has made with Kim and all those who have worked tirelessly to help him achieve their dreams.  You see some of the public don't understand - or even like - Andy because he is that most unbritish of things: a male tennis champion.  Tomorrow he can reclaim a part of us that has seemed lost since the darkest days of the 30s.  But he will have done it his own unique and truly inspiring way.
This is definately post of the year for me....It brought tears to my eyes! Wonderful......Thanks Scotsgeek!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #267 on: July 07, 2013, 07:58 AM »

77 years since a British man won Wimbledon. Date of the final 7/7.  Fingers crossed

Blimey, I've got goosebumps. That is spooky. I'm not usually one for omens, now I'm not so sure!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #268 on: July 07, 2013, 08:03 AM »

Apparently Mo Lahyani in the chair. Apparently this is his first Slam final. Ridiculously overdue, easily one of the best in the business.

Oh I'm glad about that. An umpire with a brain! Firm, but fair and so laid back. I like Mo. He's my favourite umpire by a mile.

Amazing to think he's never done a slam final. I didn't know that. Overdue indeed.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #269 on: July 07, 2013, 08:16 AM »

Having seen what final's day centre court nerves did to poor Sabine, I've even more sympathy for Andy.
Nole/Fed/Rafa are blooming lucky no grand slams are played in their home countries, is all I can say. Rolling Eyes
Don't be bothered about what any of these "experts" are predicting either. Prior to Wimbles I seem to remember most were going for Rafa and the rest Fed Rolling Eyes
I think only Lindsy D. and possibly Tracy A were picking Andy at that stage. yay
Who on earth is saying on here that Andy wont beat Nole?  USOpen is proof he can.
Do we not think that he is as talented, fit and gutsy as Nole?  naughty
Andy can beat Nole. The only question is, will this damn weight crush him?
I firmly believe that the weight won't be nearly as oppressive as last year. Andy has been there, done it and bought the Tee Shirt.
Andy in 4 breathtaking brilliant sets!
Come on you little, well not so little...Wink DIAMOND
Come on  Super
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 179 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »