Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will be crowned winner?
Murray in 3
Murray in 4
Murray in 5
Djokovic in 3
Djokovic in 4
Djokovic in 5

Pages: 1 ... 166 167 168 [169] 170 171 172 ... 179 Go Down Reply
Author

Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic

(Read 33029 times)
wimbledonwestie
Seed

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2520 on: July 09, 2013, 09:03 PM »

Er, pandering to the British public? Andy did win, so where is the pandering?

In addition all the pundits mentioned, Lindsay Davenport picked Andy as well.

To my mind Andy looked like the Wimbledon winner all through Queen's. I could go further back and suggest that the way he won the Olympics indicated that a Wimbledon win was on the cards. I picked him on the basis of that. I even picked the finalists for SW19 on that basis, which is strange when you think Djokovic was beaten by Delpo in the bronze medal match. The big confirmation for me that Andy was likely to do it was when he got through Verdasco. I just sensed it as a turning point of sorts.

I think people who can't see how brilliant that final was just don't get it. There were momentum switches, but there always are in Andy and Djokovic's matches. They both return so well and have similar games. It was always going to be attritional.

What people don't get is that Andy is a better player on grass than Djokovic, simple as that. Why was Djokovic sliding like that, treating the grass like a clay court? Andy's footwork was brilliant, and boy was he fast!

Andy has never dropped a set to Djokovic on grass. I think we all know why if we're honest about it. Andy is, without a doubt, the best grass court player in the world.

To me the writing was on the wall for Djokovic when he was using serve and volley. Andy was reading him like a book! I think Djokovic just got his tactics all wrong, but didn't know what else to do, especially when Andy was being a brick wall.

People will make excuses of course, Djokovic was tired etc. For the last two years pundits have gone on and on about how tireless he is. I also think people making excuses takes away from how gracious he was in defeat, and how lovely his parents were to Judy. Then again, tiredness was an excuse made by some when Andy beat another multi-slam winner in straight sets on Centre Court. That excuse wasn't true either.

I agree, I too had a sudden moment during Queens (actually during the charity match) where I just thought - here's the Wimbledon Champion. It was just something in his body language. The only way someone was going to beat him at Wimbledon was if they killed him. And in the final you could see he was so determined he was going to lave it all out there the way he went after every ball. As you say, he wanted it more and it showed,
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2521 on: July 09, 2013, 10:05 PM »

Novak would have in his mind how Andy ran the legs off him in the US Open final and he tried to shorten the points with volleys and drop shots.    He probably knows as well as anyone how fit Andy is and didn't fancy a 5 setter in that heat against the fittest (and now the most determined) player on the tour.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2522 on: July 10, 2013, 01:12 AM »

Found a video of the full match yay

IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2523 on: July 10, 2013, 01:22 AM »

Funny my HD version is exactly the same duration and start and finish as this version.

Might upload it to youtube but i dunno.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2524 on: July 10, 2013, 01:29 AM »

Funny my HD version is exactly the same duration and start and finish as this version.

Might upload it to youtube but i dunno.

Ooh,if you do decide to that'd be brilliant,because the quality of that one I found really isn't great!But I know it's complicated,so won't blame you at all if you don't!Did you happen to cap any of the BBC build-up?Or the bits after,with Andy on the lawn with friends and family and stuff?Because I can't find those anywhere,and I'd love to re-live it again.But if you didn't,no worries! Very Happy
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2525 on: July 10, 2013, 01:44 AM »

Blimey, it's too hot to sleep!

Just to say, watched the final again tonight. I'm pleased to report Andy still won Smile.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2526 on: July 10, 2013, 02:00 AM »

Ooh,if you do decide to that'd be brilliant,because the quality of that one I found really isn't great!But I know it's complicated,so won't blame you at all if you don't!Did you happen to cap any of the BBC build-up?Or the bits after,with Andy on the lawn with friends and family and stuff?Because I can't find those anywhere,and I'd love to re-live it again.But if you didn't,no worries! Very Happy

There is a version on t3nnis.tv with all the build up, but since it's not my cap, I can't upload it to youtube.

Mine doesn't have any of the build up, or the bits after with him on the lawn, because I got home just as the Final was about to begin, and I forgot to cap the bit on the lawn lol.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2527 on: July 10, 2013, 02:44 AM »

Blimey, it's too hot to sleep!

Just to say, watched the final again tonight. I'm pleased to report Andy still won Smile.
Thank, thank you, TJ, for that reassurance!  It still has something of a dream-like quality.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2528 on: July 10, 2013, 08:28 AM »

Thank, thank you, TJ, for that reassurance!  It still has something of a dream-like quality.

It does indeed. I think I watched it again to convince myself it really happened! It's not the winning part that surprises me so much. I truly believed it was Andy's time, but straight sets!
IP Logged
snorkel.maiden
Junior

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2529 on: July 10, 2013, 09:44 AM »

I said to my husband on Sunday morning that while I was paralysed with nerves I thought he might get it done in straight sets. I think he went out there for every set with the same mentality he had for the 5th set at the USO. He had the determination and skill to just get it done. Not that Novak made it easy, but Andy was better on all fronts on Sunday.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2530 on: July 10, 2013, 10:06 AM »

apologies if this fact has been posted already but appararently viewing figures peaked at over 17 million,  a whisker below the famous Borg and Mcenroe final and highest viewing figures for any programme this year.  This is amazing when you think how many tv channels there are now and also that it was the hottest day of the year so many people would want to be outside.  Not sure how many households there are altogether but 17 million must be a pretty high percentage.  Someone I know was going from one house to another to watch in London and said they could hear the cheering coming from every window they passed.  What an occasion it was.
IP Logged
notnek
Futures Level

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2531 on: July 10, 2013, 10:16 AM »

apologies if this fact has been posted already but appararently viewing figures peaked at over 17 million,  a whisker below the famous Borg and Mcenroe final and highest viewing figures for any programme this year.  This is amazing when you think how many tv channels there are now and also that it was the hottest day of the year so many people would want to be outside.  Not sure how many households there are altogether but 17 million must be a pretty high percentage.  Someone I know was going from one house to another to watch in London and said they could hear the cheering coming from every window they passed.  What an occasion it was.
There were also 8 million video streaming requests on the BBC website. That doesn't equal 8 million people but overall, I'm pretty sure more Brits saw this match than the 1980 final.

IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2532 on: July 10, 2013, 10:27 AM »

I said to my husband on Sunday morning that while I was paralysed with nerves I thought he might get it done in straight sets. I think he went out there for every set with the same mentality he had for the 5th set at the USO. He had the determination and skill to just get it done. Not that Novak made it easy, but Andy was better on all fronts on Sunday.
  Someone said somewhere ( Radio 5 live ?) that Andy seemed prepared to die on the court rather than lose, and I honestly think that could be true. Fantastic match
IP Logged
snorkel.maiden
Junior

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2533 on: July 10, 2013, 11:46 AM »

Will there be a BBC DVD do you think? I hope so- I know there's an official Wimbledon one which I might get at some point but I'd prefer a BBC one. And a commemorative book!?
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2534 on: July 10, 2013, 12:05 PM »

Cameron and Milliband pay tribute to Andy at PMQ's
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 168 [169] 170 171 172 ... 179 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »