Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will be crowned winner?
Murray in 3
Murray in 4
Murray in 5
Djokovic in 3
Djokovic in 4
Djokovic in 5

Pages: 1 ... 170 171 172 [173] 174 175 176 ... 179 Go Down Reply
Author

Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic

(Read 31848 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2580 on: July 11, 2013, 09:11 PM »

When I played today the courts were dead, granted it was at 12 midday so people will have been in work / School. I imagine they were busier in the evening.. on Monday night me and my dad very nearly didn't get a court and there's 6 of them.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2581 on: July 11, 2013, 09:38 PM »

The Final is currently being replayed in a neighbours garden with 2 bats and a ball between 6 year old twins who usually argue football between Liverpool and Everton - both want to be Andy Murray against Novak Djokovic.  Couldn't resist a proud smile.

Classic! yes
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2582 on: July 11, 2013, 09:52 PM »

The Final is currently being replayed in a neighbours garden with 2 bats and a ball between 6 year old twins who usually argue football between Liverpool and Everton - both want to be Andy Murray against Novak Djokovic.  Couldn't resist a proud smile.
  Ah, the world goes round, but some things never change, thank God!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2583 on: July 11, 2013, 11:00 PM »

That's brilliant! Smile.

I hope very much that kids do become enthused by what they've seen Andy do, and that people within the game, the LTA, the clubs and such, do everything possible to enable kids to play.

You don't get the Andy Murray's of this world at the top unless there are kids, lots of them, playing, at the bottom.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

The great British player will be back!

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2584 on: July 11, 2013, 11:16 PM »

The tennis club I go to have had a great idea, all the outdoor courts are free on Mondays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from now on. With this hot weather I bet they see a rise in people wanting to play tennis. It's all on the up now I feel.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2585 on: July 11, 2013, 11:18 PM »

That's brilliant! Smile.

I hope very much that kids do become enthused by what they've seen Andy do, and that people within the game, the LTA, the clubs and such, do everything possible to enable kids to play.

You don't get the Andy Murray's of this world at the top unless there are kids, lots of them, playing, at the bottom.
Or just one with the talent of Andy Murray. Wink

The more there are playing at grass roots level, the better the chances of that happening though, obviously.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2586 on: July 12, 2013, 06:40 PM »

Lovely interview with Sue Barker on Andy's victory here-I'm only including the bits about Andy,but there's more in the piece about Laura,Heather,and her tennis and broadcasting careers too Smile

BBC's Barker hails Murray's magnificent Wimbledon triumph as her 'greatest day' in broadcasting

For once there were no tears. Instead, Andy Murray and Sue Barker shared a moment of pure joy on Centre Court last week. For Murray, it was his greatest day. For Barker, the pinnacle of what has become an extraordinary career in broadcasting.

‘It was absolutely fantastic, the greatest day I’ve had in broadcasting,’ says Barker from her home in the Cotswolds.

‘Tennis is in my heart and blood and I’d never thought I’d see that. Last year at the Olympics, I walked away from the Park thinking ‘I’m never again going to experience the joy I’ve just felt in the past three weeks’. And then this happened. It was without a doubt the greatest sporting event I have witnessed.’

Few would disagree and for Barker and Murray it was quite the contrast to the tears that followed the 2012 defeat by Roger Federer and their conversation about the Dunblane shooting during the pre-Wimbledon BBC documentary.

‘Andy said to me that every time he sees me he cries,’ says Barker with a chuckle. ‘In that documentary, it really surprised me.

'When he talked about Dunblane, I was looking over at our producer saying ‘please stop this’. I wanted them to cut and she kept shaking her head.

'I think she knew that deep down he wanted to say it whereas I was thinking how awful it was. No-one realised just how much it affected him and Jamie. You can understand why he hasn’t talked about it before.

But maybe in the documentary he could think more about it than in a press conference, take his time. And he was in his home with his dogs there. It was so moving. He’s such an amazing young man.’

Part of being ‘amazing’ was of course that straight sets win over Novak Djokovic on Sunday, something Barker feels has made Murray the best player on the tour.

‘I’ve been doing it for so many years now that I don’t feel nervous professionally. But that last game was nerve-wracking. I was in a small room courtside with the American television and I was so nervous for him.

'It was then such a pleasure to go out on court and say those words. It was incredibly special to be on Centre Court and be part of it.

'To tell a global audience it’s been 77 years and here you go was fantastic. You could see how much of a haze he was in. I can understand why he couldn’t remember much of what happened near the end.

'He didn’t know whose hands he was slapping or where his mum was. He couldn’t take in the enormity of it all.

‘He is just an extraordinary player and athlete. The manner in which he won, beating the world No 1, was awesome. He holds two of the Grand Slams and the Olympic gold.

'He’s the one everyone needs to beat now. I know he’ll manage his body and career now with regards to how many tournaments he plays so No 1 might take a bit longer.

'But you are always remembered for how many Slams you win, not weeks at No 1. If he carries on the way he’s going, there are many more to come.

‘Because I got to know the whole team — and they are normally very private —  it did make it extra special.

'I spent time with him in Miami, watched him train, the gym. I’ve interviewed him so many times but it was nice to talk about other things rather than always having a microphone on.

'He’s such a nice guy and I have huge respect for him. Him, Kim, his family - it couldn’t have happened to a nicer bunch of people.’

--------------------------------

So what chances of Barker ever interviewing another victorious British man at Wimbledon in the future?

‘I don’t see it at the moment but I didn’t see it in Andy. He was an amazing 17-year-old but if you’d said to me ‘is he going to be a future world No 1?’ - which he will be — I’d have said he was going to be a top 20 player.

'Someone from the LTA should, if Andy’s willing, make a video of how hard you have to train to become a Grand Slam champion. It blew my mind how hard he works.

'Some players came out to train with him and they couldn’t walk after three days. It would be great to show British hopefuls the sort of training they will need to do. Not everyone will want to do it. Some might settle for being in the top 200 or wherever. It’s important to show kids what it takes.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2362034/BBC-Presenter-Sue-Barker-hails-Andy-Murrays-Wimbledon-greatest-day-broadcasting.html
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2587 on: July 13, 2013, 04:36 PM »

Guess what I just bought on DVD! Andy made me do it, honest Whistle.

What Andy didn't make me do was buy all his Wimbledon rounds, plus the Queen's semi and final and the rally against cancer, plus the Miami Masters final.

Being ill this year has it's compensations. I've spent very little. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it Whistle. Other than that, I just have to conclude that I have no restraint Whistle.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2588 on: July 13, 2013, 08:15 PM »

Guess what I just bought on DVD! Andy made me do it, honest Whistle.

What Andy didn't make me do was buy all his Wimbledon rounds, plus the Queen's semi and final and the rally against cancer, plus the Miami Masters final.

Being ill this year has it's compensations. I've spent very little. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it Whistle. Other than that, I just have to conclude that I have no restraint Whistle.
impressive tj  w00t
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

What was I drinking last night?

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2589 on: July 14, 2013, 01:55 AM »

Thoughts, glad it did not go longer in the match, glad it went Andy's way, glad he did not win it previously as his game has improved (although it was sore at the time) and seems more sustainable now, Glad for the Olympics to get him back on the horse last year, Andy  No.1? not quite yet. Novak although I have never liked the man is king of the castle (abet close) he now has my respect after this final. Even I feel there is something unnerving about his hair.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2590 on: July 14, 2013, 10:05 AM »

Hello, folks. What are we thinking? I'm thinking the third set will decide the whole thing.

Just reading through the thread - how right you were....!!!
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2591 on: July 16, 2013, 06:50 PM »

Andy after the match with Doug Dickson (the senior locker room attendant retiring from carrying the bags after 42 years.What a special match for his last!)

IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2592 on: July 16, 2013, 07:12 PM »

That's lovely Dani Smile
IP Logged
ally
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2593 on: July 18, 2013, 10:04 PM »

I know I wasn't physically at the event, and it is nearly two weeks after the historic day, but I have just ordered a copy of the programme for the Wimbledon final.  Look forward to reading that, even though it's very old news now!
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2594 on: July 18, 2013, 10:14 PM »

I know I wasn't physically at the event, and it is nearly two weeks after the historic day, but I have just ordered a copy of the programme for the Wimbledon final.  Look forward to reading that, even though it's very old news now!
hug  Enjoy!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 172 [173] 174 175 176 ... 179 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »