Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will be crowned winner?
Murray in 3
Murray in 4
Murray in 5
Djokovic in 3
Djokovic in 4
Djokovic in 5

Pages: 1 ... 172 173 174 [175] 176 177 178 179 Go Down Reply
Author

Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic

(Read 30574 times)
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2610 on: August 26, 2013, 10:59 PM »

I'd do that sort of thing - love the way they link the matches to build up to the big moment. My brother  was round and he and I were reliving where we were for each match. I could remember some of his text updates during matches I was out for when he was keeping me poted (some were a bit tetchy if he was anxious)
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2611 on: October 06, 2013, 11:32 PM »

Just watching this for the 10 zillionth time. Usually I've only skipped to the significant points/games of the match, but decided to put it on whilst doing my ironing so watched a few passages this time of parts I haven't seen much/at all since the actual match.

One funny thing I noticed. In set two Murray is serving at 3-4 down, having just broken back. He's in a bit of trouble though, and is down break point. A pretty huge point, as if he loses it Djokovic will be serving for the second set and it's all square. Murray steps up and delivers a piledriver of an ace. Djokovic challenges. Ball caught less than a mm of the outside of the line. Castle notes that it was Djokovic's final challenge. 'That could be significant'.

Scroll forward 13 minutes later. It's now 5-5, 15-15. Nervy moments, with the set on a knife's edge. Djokovic serves down the line and Murray's return lands right on the outside of the baseline. Djokovic believes it's out - but he can't challenge. The point plays on and Murray goes on to win it. It's now 15-30, and Djokovic absolutely loses it. His head's gone, Murray breaks, and the rest is history.

Now as it turns out the ball was in anyway. But that doesn't matter. Djokovic didn't know that, he got pissed, the crowd jeered and the moment got inside his head. It proved to be one of the biggest moments of the match.

Funniest thing about it all is that Castle, who just minutes before that had foreshadowed with that line mentioned above ('that could be significant'), completely forgot that Djokovic had run out of challenges and didn't know what was going on.

Anyway, just a little anecdote I noticed. Can never tire of watching this match back. Doubt I ever will. I've finished my ironing now, so I'm going to bed. G'night.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter October 06, 2013, 11:36 PM ] IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2612 on: October 07, 2013, 12:35 PM »

I remember that too MH!  I think you are right, it was a highly significant moment.  I'm convinced that Djoko thought that the shot to the baseline was out and was fuming that it wasn't called out and that he couldn't challenge.  I'll be honest, I too thought that it was probably out until the Hawkeye video. 

Djoko may well have gone on to lose the set anyway, who knows?  But this was definitely a defining moment in what was a very tight set.

I've just watched the last game again (hundredth time maybe?.)  I can still barely believe that Andy won it!  One of the truly great sporting moments.....
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2613 on: October 07, 2013, 04:57 PM »

It was a defining moment in set two, but Andy still had another set to win, Djokovic is too good a player to let that occurance effect the thrird set.

I've enjoyed replaying the final in part or all the way through a few times, have it on DVD, but I have the full BBC buildup recorded on Sky which I also enjoy replaying comfortable in the knowledge that Andy does finally win!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2614 on: October 07, 2013, 10:35 PM »

It was a defining moment in set two, but Andy still had another set to win, Djokovic is too good a player to let that occurance effect the thrird set.

I've enjoyed replaying the final in part or all the way through a few times, have it on DVD, but I have the full BBC buildup recorded on Sky which I also enjoy replaying comfortable in the knowledge that Andy does finally win!
Yeah the build-up is even better now knowing the outcome isn't it? At the time it felt a bit cringe-worthy and if he'd lost it certainly would have been, but watching it now it feels like a film, like they knew what the outcome would be. Little bit tingly watching it, actually.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2615 on: October 09, 2013, 09:56 AM »

Never get fed up of watching these vids of reactions in homes up and down the country the whole nation were going through exact same emotions lol
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2616 on: October 09, 2013, 02:30 PM »

I watched the whole match again last night (as missing Andy). It was great because I knew he won and was able to appreciate the game even more. That last match point was so exciting but he won in the end and thats all that matters,
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2617 on: October 09, 2013, 04:47 PM »

I watched the whole match again last night (as missing Andy). It was great because I knew he won and was able to appreciate the game even more. That last match point was so exciting but he won in the end and thats all that matters,

Yes, He won in three sets. I know that Lloyd and Becker said it felt like a 5 set match, but Andy really did win a grand slam final against the world number 1 in 3 sets. Just as he did in the Olympic final.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2618 on: October 09, 2013, 05:48 PM »

That last game must be the most stressful ever!
And we were just watching.......
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2619 on: October 09, 2013, 06:29 PM »

Never get fed up of watching these vids of reactions in homes up and down the country the whole nation were going through exact same emotions lol

That's a brilliant video Angiebabez; brings back the memories even more vividly.  My son tells me that I even came out with a prayer to the Lord almighty before the final match point, but I have no recollection of this whatsoever.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2620 on: October 09, 2013, 07:39 PM »

That's a brilliant video Angiebabez; brings back the memories even more vividly.  My son tells me that I even came out with a prayer to the Lord almighty before the final match point, but I have no recollection of this whatsoever.

lol I've no recollection of a LOT of things that happened that fine day Mickey.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2621 on: October 09, 2013, 08:23 PM »

Yes, He won in three sets. I know that Lloyd and Becker said it felt like a 5 set match, but Andy really did win a grand slam final against the world number 1 in 3 sets. Just as he did in the Olympic final.
Best grass player in the world right now, in my humble opinion. Shame the season is only a bloody month long. 18 match winning streak, having beaten Djokovic twice (one as #1, once as #2) and Federer once (as #1) without even dropping a set.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2622 on: October 09, 2013, 08:28 PM »

Best grass player in the world right now, in my humble opinion. Shame the season is only a bloody month long. 18 match winning streak, having beaten Djokovic twice (one as #1, once as #2) and Federer once (as #1) without even dropping a set.
  yes  clap
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2623 on: October 10, 2013, 02:13 AM »

That last game.... i still find it hard to watch without breaking into a sweat even knowing the outcome! I just watch it and there are so many 'what if' moments, he just hit lines where an inch would have given the game to Djokovic, he ran for dropshots where he could have slipped, Djoko could have hit that last ball back... so many things could have gone wrong but thankfully it all worked out in the end, god only knows what the result would have been if he had lost that game.

Realistically we could all be here now thinking back to that match and cringing at how he lost the Wimbledon final after having 3 match points, i doubt he or any of us here would have ever gotten over that.
[ Last edit by The Gnome October 10, 2013, 02:16 AM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Wimbledon F: Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic « Reply #2624 on: October 11, 2013, 07:22 PM »

the video was so funny - the way they kept saying shush as if Andy could hear the noise and the woman lurking in the doorway just like I do when things get really tense.

Oh gnome I'm so happy that I don't live in some awful parallel universe where Andy did lose after having had those match points.   It's good to be reminded of the joy we all felt that day as we countenance the void of no Andy for the rest of the tennis year.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 174 [175] 176 177 178 179 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »