Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will kick butt?
Murray in 3
Murray in 4
Murray in 5
Verdasco in 3
Verdasco in 4
Verdasco in 5

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 93 Go Down Reply
Author

Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco

(Read 13911 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #45 on: July 01, 2013, 11:15 PM »

In any other country with half a brain there wouldn't be any need to wonder what court the world no.2 and home player would get to play his quarter final on. I'm sure it will be Centre, but it shouldn't even need to be thought about.

Judging by how supportive they were to Haas today, I get the feeling the crowd wouldn't care less if Djokovic did get put on Court One. I couldn't quite work out if they just don't like Novak, or if they particularly like Tommy. Of course, it could have been an underdog thing, but it was noticeable that Haas had all the crowd support.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #46 on: July 01, 2013, 11:19 PM »

The crowd are supporting the underdogs fully this tournament, because they were completely routing for Lisicki against Serena as well. I think part of that though is because if the bigger players went out it would give Andy/Laura a better chance of winning - that's the reason I wanted them to lose.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #47 on: July 01, 2013, 11:44 PM »

Apparently this will be the first leftie Murray has played all year. Is that right?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #48 on: July 01, 2013, 11:46 PM »

Apparently this will be the first leftie Murray has played all year. Is that right?

Yeah, that's what Andy said.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #49 on: July 01, 2013, 11:54 PM »

The crowd are supporting the underdogs fully this tournament, because they were completely routing for Lisicki against Serena as well. I think part of that though is because if the bigger players went out it would give Andy/Laura a better chance of winning - that's the reason I wanted them to lose.

It crossed my mind that the crowd supported Haas as a back-door way of supporting Andy. You never know with Wimbledon crowds.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #50 on: July 01, 2013, 11:54 PM »

Me too.

Me 3
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #51 on: July 02, 2013, 02:05 AM »

Didn't realise that these 2 hadn'd played since 2009 - time flies when you're having fun!

cmonandy

* Murray vs Verdasco.JPG (178.58 KB, 841x1312 - viewed 45 times.)
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #52 on: July 02, 2013, 04:10 AM »

^ Thanks, Dani.

I'm not going to fret over it because I know whatever happens Andy will give it his all, and then some.
Absolutely right Linda.  I posted this interview on the Wimbledon thread but might as well post it on here too -

MURRAY: BACK INJURY WON'T END TITLE BID

Briton vows not to quit despite flare-up as Robson’s Wimbledon dream comes to end

WORLD No2 Andy Murray revealed he underwent extra medical treatment after his straight-sets win over Mikhail Youzhny swept him into a sixth consecutive Wimbledon quarter-final, but insists he would never dream of quitting through injury.

The 26-year-old Scot overcame the No20 seed 6-4, 7-6, 6-1, showing all his battling qualities to recover from 5-2 down in the second set, though at times he grimaced while holding his side, prompting fears he could join the grand slam record-equalling 13 players to have retired hurt in this tournament.

But Murray, who missed last month’s French Open with a back injury, says he will never succumb to pain.

“I would never stop,”
said last year’s runner-up, who meets unseeded Spaniard Fernando Verdasco in the quarter-finals.

“Now that I’m playing there’s no chance I would stop, unless I couldn’t hold the racquet. My back is what it is. It’s felt way better than it was a few weeks ago. There’s no cause for concern.

“I had 20 minutes longer treatment than the last few days. But I just want to make sure that in this tournament I do all the right things. I want to take care of my body. It’s my main priority.”

http://www.cityam.com/article/murray-back-injury-won-t-end-title-bid

IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #53 on: July 02, 2013, 05:40 AM »

Didn't realise that these 2 hadn'd played since 2009 - time flies when you're having fun!

cmonandy

Nice h2h he has on Verdasco....wonder what kind of carpet they played on in St Petersburg.... shagpile?
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #54 on: July 02, 2013, 07:34 AM »

Saw the last match they played at O2.
Andy was in fine form then, as now thumb up
 yay
IP Logged
Nicky1877

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #55 on: July 02, 2013, 08:23 AM »

Won't the Murray game be on centre and the Djokovic game be on after it? Or the other way round.

Don't think he'll stuggle too much in this one although Verdassco has only dropped one set so far he's only beat one seed (Benneteau). Murray in 3!
[ Last edit by Nicky1877 July 02, 2013, 10:06 AM ] IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #56 on: July 02, 2013, 09:20 AM »

I always remember the time Verdassco beat Andy at the Oz open but that was a long time ago & their careers have certainly taken a different path since then.
I'm sure Andy will be cautious but will win easily.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #57 on: July 02, 2013, 09:25 AM »

I didn't realise he had such a big winning record over Verdasco. Then again it is ages since they've played.

Andy's got a good record over lefties if my memory is right.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #58 on: July 02, 2013, 12:06 PM »

I always remember the time Verdassco beat Andy at the Oz open but that was a long time ago & their careers have certainly taken a different path since then.
I'm sure Andy will be cautious but will win easily.

If I remember rightly, Andy had a virus on that occasion and Verdasco was just coming off an epic Davis Cup win and was brimming with confidence.  Totally different scenario this time round.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #59 on: July 02, 2013, 12:31 PM »

It's good to see Verdasco play decent tennis again after the last couple of years. A player with his talent really shouldn't be ranked as low as 54 - looking at the live rankings he's now ranked 35 thanks to his good run here. Hopefully he'll get back into the top 20.

I don't think Andy will be too troubled playing him though. Verdasco's forehand is a great shot but it also often breaks down when put under pressure, as does his serve. Perhaps there'll be one tight set but I think Andy will win in straights.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 93 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »