Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will kick butt?
Murray in 3
Murray in 4
Murray in 5
Verdasco in 3
Verdasco in 4
Verdasco in 5

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco  (Read 11617 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1335 on: July 04, 2013, 12:24 AM »

I've said on another site that slam wins are often built on wins like this. I hope so!
It would be great if this was his USO-Lopez match (although in that one he didn't fall two sets behind!)
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1336 on: July 04, 2013, 12:32 AM »

It would be great if this was his USO-Lopez match (although in that one he didn't fall two sets behind!)

Ah, but he nearly did against Cilic. That was a set and 5-1 down. Sure, Cilic cracking like an egg helped, but Andy still had to win and he did.

I just feel today flies in the face of any suggestion that Andy has had it too easy and therefore won't have anything to go to when and if he is pushed. Andy was pushed hard today and came through. I'm sure he can do it again.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1337 on: July 04, 2013, 12:42 AM »

If this was his lopez match, let hope the next match is like the Raonic match Very Happy
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1338 on: July 04, 2013, 12:44 AM »

Ah, but he nearly did against Cilic. That was a set and 5-1 down. Sure, Cilic cracking like an egg helped, but Andy still had to win and he did.

I just feel today flies in the face of any suggestion that Andy has had it too easy and therefore won't have anything to go to when and if he is pushed. Andy was pushed hard today and came through. I'm sure he can do it again.
I was comparing it to Lopez due to how tense it was at the end of the match and knowing how it could easily have gone the other way.

Strictly speaking it was probably a mixture of the two.

If this was his lopez match, let hope the next match is like the Raonic match Very Happy
I would absolutely love it if it is.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1339 on: July 04, 2013, 01:00 AM »

I was comparing it to Lopez due to how tense it was at the end of the match and knowing how it could easily have gone the other way.

Strictly speaking it was probably a mixture of the two.

Yes, I saw the comparison. It was tense.

I concur with Rachie. Having the next one like Raonic would do nicely. I'm sure I wasn't this grey at the start of the day Smile.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1340 on: July 04, 2013, 01:03 AM »

Just about recovered my sanity and composure to come on here Wink please god Andy do not put us through that again (until the finals at least)

Not breathing for several sets is not good! Nor is self imposed exile in kitchen (Andy faring much better when I was there - it is small with no seats - bringing seats in may have upset things!)). Was much easier when I was on site in London - he should pay for my return - Lisicki might split the bill I was theere last yr when she beat Sharaova and this yr when she beat Serena ... I'm her lucky charm.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1341 on: July 04, 2013, 01:03 AM »

Grey!!! Aged at least 10 years!
IP Logged
CoolDude
Futures Level

us open champion 2012

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1342 on: July 04, 2013, 01:24 AM »

im sick of seeing peopke on tt(Talk tennis) hating on andy murray
here is just one example:

Thank you Murray, for showing us who you really are!

"I'm now reassured again that I've always been right when I say Big 3 >>>> Murray.

As we all see in today's match, Murray realized that he just couldnt pretend to be an actual great player like the Federer, Djokovic and Nadal. Just running from side to side trying to put the ball back in play again pathetically and pray for the opponent's error for the win. Hence, ultimately you can celebrate from get out of jail in the embrace of his classy mother.

Pure class Murray, you're the best".

Firstly Andy is no pusher, this person obviously didn't watch the match Secondly was trying to be a great player so anyone who is not top 3 is a rubbish player ? Thirdly HES NUMBER TWO IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW Fourthly: yes he did have to chase after shots or else he would lose, but he did not push. Pushing is when you basically return the ball 7ft in the air and keep constantly doing it.

There are several threads like this and it just bugs me, oh well when he wins Wimbledon these haters will be proved wrong

... just felt like i had to say that...
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1343 on: July 04, 2013, 01:43 AM »

Hmm I actually felt Andy was pushing a lot on the big points, rather similar to Ferrer's style but it actually worked rather well on those points except for a few times when he didn't put enough on the ball during some base-line rallies. Andy also looked rather uneasy hitting any forehands down the line which limited his variety in the base-line exchanges and allowed Verdasco to dictate a lot.

But to say his defensive play was a negative point is pretty stupid because that's what ultimately won him the match. His offensive game was rather off the boil today, especially when hitting harder returns and moving forward / volleying. It was probably the worst I've seen from Andy in a while, he missed a lot of sitters at the net.

So credit really to Andy for recognizing this and switching more towards his pushing game which was actually working well and near top-form, it's called reverting to your B-game when your A-game isn't quite working.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1344 on: July 04, 2013, 01:57 AM »

I love Federer fans using Murray winning (note: winning) a tight match against a former top 10 player as proof that he's definitely worse than Federer and Nadal... who, uh, lost to players outside the top 100. Yeah.. logic..

But yeah, haters gonna hate. Leave them to their sad and pathetic lives. Deep down they know they're wrong... or they're just a bit deranged.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1345 on: July 04, 2013, 02:13 AM »

Phew. What a roller coaster that was. Made me an hour and half late for my conference this morning but who cares? lol

Thought he was gone after the 2nd set. He was playing so poorly and Verdasco looked to be playing something close to his former best. Amazing comeback and he'll surely be all the better for a match like that. Really trying not to get ahead of myself here.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1346 on: July 04, 2013, 03:28 AM »

im sick of seeing peopke on tt(Talk tennis) hating on andy murray
here is just one example:

Thank you Murray, for showing us who you really are!

"I'm now reassured again that I've always been right when I say Big 3 >>>> Murray.

As we all see in today's match, Murray realized that he just couldnt pretend to be an actual great player like the Federer, Djokovic and Nadal. Just running from side to side trying to put the ball back in play again pathetically and pray for the opponent's error for the win. Hence, ultimately you can celebrate from get out of jail in the embrace of his classy mother.

Pure class Murray, you're the best".

Firstly Andy is no pusher, this person obviously didn't watch the match Secondly was trying to be a great player so anyone who is not top 3 is a rubbish player ? Thirdly HES NUMBER TWO IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW Fourthly: yes he did have to chase after shots or else he would lose, but he did not push. Pushing is when you basically return the ball 7ft in the air and keep constantly doing it.

There are several threads like this and it just bugs me, oh well when he wins Wimbledon these haters will be proved wrong

... just felt like i had to say that...

They are all cretins best ignored, if you want a laugh check out the match report on the ATP site, they have people on there complaining that the crowd was too biased towards Andy, it's hard to fathom the mental frailty of some people, the forums are now full of butthurt Fed and Nadal fans, and depressed Novak supporters who are just really annoyed Andy is still alive
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1347 on: July 04, 2013, 08:07 AM »

There was one point (the incredible point, I think) where they started going berserk mid-point. Was like the USO, I loved it.

Edit: It was at 0-15 with Verdasco serving for the second set I think. The incredible point I was thinking of was this one (which it wasn't):

http://2013.wimbledon.com/en_GB/interactive/multimedia.html?id=B1eDYwZDoO_qj25zj5rc1hrsDzCHG1j_

Best thing about that is when he's slipping at the end of it and doesn't take his eyes off the ball the whole time.
Oh my......I missed the first four sets, so never saw that! I've just watched it over and over! Magnificent!  fainting Thanks TMH!
IP Logged
Nicky1877

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1348 on: July 04, 2013, 08:11 AM »

Wow what a rollercoaster that was! My neighbours must have thought the match was happening in my flat the way me and my flatmates were shouting at the tele. I said to my mate at 2-0 that if he comes back and wins this then this is his year... hope I'm right!
IP Logged
snorkel.maiden
Junior

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1349 on: July 04, 2013, 08:30 AM »

I can't cope with two more matches like that. Seriously considering staying slightly drunk for four days. Is that feasible??

I am so, so proud of him though. As he said afterwards he never gave up even though he knew he wasn't playing his best. And I LOVED that answer he gave to the moronic question about how hard it is to keep on reaching semis- "Yea, it's hard. It's really hard". One of the main things I love about him is that he has zero capacity for bull****.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »