Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will kick butt?
Murray in 3
Murray in 4
Murray in 5
Verdasco in 3
Verdasco in 4
Verdasco in 5

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 [92] 93 Go Down Reply
Author

Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco

(Read 12950 times)
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1365 on: July 04, 2013, 02:02 PM »

I think that why i went white was the thought of the flak Andy would have endured going out at this stage. Will have to endure it tomorrow again because to the people who only watch Wimbledon & do not follow the tour, a lot of people will be thinking Andy only has to turn up!!
I'll start to relax when Andy is 2 sets up but until then in the words of a great philosopher ''Its squeeky bum time!!!!
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1366 on: July 04, 2013, 02:02 PM »

From the ratings thread on the DigitalSpy forum

UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 59s
Andy Murray's nerve wracking Wimbledon win peaked with a massive 10.41m/48.4% at 7.10pm last night on @BBCOne. @AndrewCastle63

and

UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 30s
Murray's match began with 2.5m, reaching 3m at 3.55, 4m at 4.25, 5m at 5.20, 6m at 5.45, 7m at 5.55, 8m at 6.30, 9m at 6.55 and 10m at 7.10.

Impressive stuff.  I wonder if you count as a whole viewer if you are behind the sofa or hiding in the kitchen? confused nervous w00t
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1367 on: July 04, 2013, 02:04 PM »

Here's a bit more detail for BBC1 across the afternoon/evening (from the same site)

13:45 - Wimbledon 2013: 4.40m (32.2%)
* set 1 (15:50 to 16:35) - 3.59m (35.7%)
* set 2 (16:40 to 17:10) - 4.51m (37.1%)
* set 3 (17:15 to 17:40) - 5.33m (37.8%)
* set 4 (17:45 to 18:30) - 6.72m (39.4%)
* set 5 (18:35 to 19:15) - 9.20m (45.6%)
* peak: 10.41m (48.4%) at 19:10
19:30 - BBC Regional News: 4.30m (21.0%)
20:00 - Your Money, Their Tricks: 4.57m (22.4%)
21:00 - The Apprentice: 6.30m (27.2%)
* peak: 6.76m (28.6%) at 21:50
22:00 - BBC News at Ten: 4.62m (23.5%)
22:30 - BBC Regional News: 4.56m (25.9%)
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1368 on: July 04, 2013, 02:11 PM »

I think that why i went white was the thought of the flak Andy would have endured going out at this stage. Will have to endure it tomorrow again because to the people who only watch Wimbledon & do not follow the tour, a lot of people will be thinking Andy only has to turn up!!
I'll start to relax when Andy is 2 sets up but until then in the words of a great philosopher ''Its squeeky bum time!!!!

I actually thought I was going to die at one point during the match.

My sister has been over from Ireland with her husband and kids. They were out for the day and on the way back when Andy was playing. When they heard on the radio that Andy was two sets down they decided to go and do some shopping before coming back to mine! My sister crept in, asking if it was all right to come back now! She's a nurse, she really should have taken my pulse!
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1369 on: July 04, 2013, 02:34 PM »

It could have been Andy trying to adjust to playing a leftie after such a long time not playing one  search me
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1370 on: July 04, 2013, 04:04 PM »

sparkle loved your sofa question.  A friend texted me to say I should take my sofa next time I go to see Andy play at Wimbledon. That's the downside of being there: nowhere to run to; nowhere to hide  w00t

I wonder if there was a peak in a&e attendance as well as bbc tv viewing?  Whistle
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1371 on: July 04, 2013, 04:34 PM »

I do wonder if some of our anxiety comes from what we know will happen if he loses.  I said to my OH when we went out after he was 2 sets down that it would be awful I he lost as I would be so upset for him but also because of the rubbish that would be printed and talked about.  I am totally foxed by the British peoples attitude to him.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1372 on: July 04, 2013, 05:03 PM »

I do wonder if some of our anxiety comes from what we know will happen if he loses.  I said to my OH when we went out after he was 2 sets down that it would be awful I he lost as I would be so upset for him but also because of the rubbish that would be printed and talked about.  I am totally foxed by the British peoples attitude to him.

Those were my fears, too many folk who don't follow tennis all year would have rubbished him for losing to someone they didn't know cos to them tennis is Fed, Nadal, Djoko and Andy - anyone else is a talentless no body who shouldn't beat the top guys. Mind you Andy fair set them straight on that in his post match interview with Gary Richardson lol.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1373 on: July 04, 2013, 05:33 PM »

I really liked Verdasco's attitude throughout the match. Even when he lost it, he was all smiley and very humble. Such a darling. Just wanna give him a biiiiiig hug. hug
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1374 on: July 04, 2013, 06:24 PM »

Those were my fears, too many folk who don't follow tennis all year would have rubbished him for losing to someone they didn't know cos to them tennis is Fed, Nadal, Djoko and Andy - anyone else is a talentless no body who shouldn't beat the top guys. Mind you Andy fair set them straight on that in his post match interview with Gary Richardson lol.
Mine too.

One of my colleagues today was wondering how on earth Andy could create such a nail biter of getting to the semis, while someone "no-one's ever heard of" managed it with ease.  This wasn't intended to be nasty, just a genuine puzzler for him, and one that I think it goes to show the widespread ignorance of just how good many other players can be.  I suppose this is the danger of encouraging people to take an interest in tennis for two weeks of the year.  There is only so much those people will know about tennis, and the players as a whole.  It's also the reason why this year's shocks are good, because it is giving other players the chance to shine.   But you just know that instead of people thinking "Nadal and Federer went out, so it must be tough", they are thinking "Andy has it easy now ...".
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1375 on: July 04, 2013, 06:55 PM »

Ruthie, from what they said Verdasco is in the form of his life.

Well 'they' (the comms?) are very ignorant then. Verdasco is a former #7 for crying out loud and made the SFs of the Australian Open in 2009.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1376 on: July 04, 2013, 07:00 PM »

Mine too.

One of my colleagues today was wondering how on earth Andy could create such a nail biter of getting to the semis, while someone "no-one's ever heard of" managed it with ease.  This wasn't intended to be nasty, just a genuine puzzler for him, and one that I think it goes to show the widespread ignorance of just how good many other players can be.  I suppose this is the danger of encouraging people to take an interest in tennis for two weeks of the year.  There is only so much those people will know about tennis, and the players as a whole.  It's also the reason why this year's shocks are good, because it is giving other players the chance to shine.   But you just know that instead of people thinking "Nadal and Federer went out, so it must be tough", they are thinking "Andy has it easy now ...".
If the media actually started focusing on other players who aren't the big four maybe they wouldn't be in a such a panic everytime Federer or Nadal take an early exit. Hell, I know people who don't even know who Ferrer is.

Nothing more cringeworthy than walking through town and overhearing two people (watching the tennis on the big screen) who clearly couldn't tell a net cord from a tie-break having an immersive discussion about why Murray will never win a Slam (yeah..) or why Federer will definitely win Wimbledon next year. People should never have strong opinions about something they know little about because they just come across as a complete tit.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1377 on: July 04, 2013, 07:04 PM »

Well 'they' (the comms?) are very ignorant then. Verdasco is a former #7 for crying out loud and made the SFs of the Australian Open in 2009.

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm only repeating what the comms said. They said he hasn't played that well for ages and is in the form of his life. I'm well aware of where Verdasco was ranked.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1378 on: July 04, 2013, 07:05 PM »

I really liked Verdasco's attitude throughout the match. Even when he lost it, he was all smiley and very humble. Such a darling. Just wanna give him a biiiiiig hug. hug

I thought he was very gracious in defeat. You're better than me though. I didn't want to hug him. I wanted to strangle him, but stress does that to me!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon 2013 QF: Andy Murray vs. Fernando Verdasco « Reply #1379 on: July 04, 2013, 07:06 PM »

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm only repeating what the comms said. They said he hasn't played that well for ages and is in the form of his life. I'm well aware of where Verdasco was ranked.
Wasn't having a go at you, don't worry.

Comments like that are typical of the know-nothings at the BBC though. Wimbledon is apparently the be-all of tennis, if you've never done well at Wimbledon you're a nobody, if you put in a decent show against one of the big four it MUST be the performance of their life. So disrespectful.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 [92] 93 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »