Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Wimbledon R4: Andy Murray vs. Mikhail Youzhny 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will prevail?
Murray in 3
Murray in 4
Murray in 5
Youzhny in 3
Youzhny in 4
Youzhny in 5

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 ... 60 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Wimbledon R4: Andy Murray vs. Mikhail Youzhny  (Read 7268 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon R4: Andy Murray vs. Mikhail Youzhny « Reply #810 on: July 01, 2013, 06:44 PM »

Well I think that was just the humble Andy talking -- plus they were higher ranked then him for a long while.
More than likely, but I still think these upsets have been preying on his mind - at least that's the impression I got from his interview on Friday.  Hopefully this win will have restored his self-belief.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon R4: Andy Murray vs. Mikhail Youzhny « Reply #811 on: July 01, 2013, 06:46 PM »

Well done Andy!!! Bloody spoke too soon...I have been called into jury service again tomorrow!! Frown  another nervous morning wondering if I'm gonna miss andys match on Wednesday  nervous
Oh nooo Angie!  More positive vibes coming your way. pray
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Wimbledon R4: Andy Murray vs. Mikhail Youzhny « Reply #812 on: July 01, 2013, 06:48 PM »

Haas looks very nervous; unable to play his best.
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Wimbledon R4: Andy Murray vs. Mikhail Youzhny « Reply #813 on: July 01, 2013, 06:49 PM »

So do I , I am sure Hass will put up a fight.  yes
Looks like Haas is going to be history soon. Off to a poor start. Frown
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Wimbledon R4: Andy Murray vs. Mikhail Youzhny « Reply #814 on: July 01, 2013, 06:51 PM »

More than likely, but I still think these upsets have been preying on his mind - at least that's the impression I got from his interview on Friday.  Hopefully this win will have restored his self-belief.

I think it was really difficult following the Serena match today, everyone in shock.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon R4: Andy Murray vs. Mikhail Youzhny « Reply #815 on: July 01, 2013, 06:51 PM »

[referring to Nadal, Federer and Williams] 'They're all' *tries not to laugh' 'all better players than me'.

Come now, let's not pretend he really believes that.

You saw that as well huh? He doesn't believe it for a second, it was written all over his face, but he isn't the type to go around saying 'Oh well, I'm a better player now than that arrogant, big-headed git who's only won one tournament all year', is he, even if he might think it right down to his toe-nails. Good on him for the diplomacy though, even if it was a bare-faced lie Whistle.

As for the match, Youzhny did better than I thought he would, so respect to him for that, but the fact is that it wasn't good enough. It's really as simple as that. To me it just goes to show how brilliant the top players are, they can play below their very best and still get it done, which Andy did today.

Andy just had a dip in concentration, that was all. To make anything more out of it than that is to be overly dramatic. It happens. No one plays 7 best of five set matches without throwing in one dodgy performance, just ask Federer and Nadal, and today was far from that for Andy, very far. He got it done in straight sets. Job done, end of story. His level hasn't dropped at all, he just had a bad 20 minutes or so. He sorted it and won as quickly as possible. That is all that is required.

To my mind the key with Andy is not getting into a tight spot, but how he gets out of it. In the past, in a situation like he was in in that second set, he would have got frustrated and blown up at himself. There was none of that today. He merely had a short go at himself, probably to wake himself up, and then he got on with it, dug deep and dealt with the threat. That is a huge transformation for Andy, not that it has come from nowhere, but it shows it works.

I'm actually glad Andy was tested. It doesn't do any of them any good to have it too easy. If it is too easy you have to wonder whether the ability to fight will be there when and if it is needed. Andy showed today that he can respond to threats, exactly as he did against Robredo for a time, and I have no doubt Andy will respond further down the line.

It makes me laugh when idiots like Simon Reed talk about what Lendl will think. How on earth would he know? You know what Lendl will care about with that match? The fact that Andy won, simple as that. Any glitches can be worked on, and they will be.
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Wimbledon R4: Andy Murray vs. Mikhail Youzhny « Reply #816 on: July 01, 2013, 06:52 PM »

Well done Andy!!! Bloody spoke too soon...I have been called into jury service again tomorrow!! Frown  another nervous morning wondering if I'm gonna miss andys match on Wednesday  nervous
Look here Angie. I know we are good friends and all that, but I really cant stay on my knees praying for you continually, girl!

But okay, one more time and I'll see what I can do then lol
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Wimbledon R4: Andy Murray vs. Mikhail Youzhny « Reply #817 on: July 01, 2013, 07:00 PM »

lol the beeb gone off djokovic match now
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon R4: Andy Murray vs. Mikhail Youzhny « Reply #818 on: July 01, 2013, 07:01 PM »

As for the match, Youzhny did better than I thought he would, so respect to him for that, but the fact is that it wasn't good enough. It's really as simple as that.

Andy just had a dip in concentration, that was all. To make anything more out of it than that is to be overly dramatic. It happens. No one plays 7 best of five set matches without throwing in one dodgy performance, just ask Federer and Nadal, and today was far from that for Andy, very far. He got it done in straight sets. Job done, end of story. His level hasn't dropped at all, he just had a bad 20 minutes or so. He sorted it and won as quickly as possible. That is all that is required.

To my mind the key with Andy is not getting into a tight spot, but how he gets out of it. In the past, in a situation like he was in in that second set, he would have got frustrated and blown up at himself. There was none of that today. He merely had a short go at himself, probably to wake himself up, and then he got on with it, dug deep and dealt with the threat. That is a huge transformation for Andy, not that it has come from nowhere, but it shows it works.

It makes me laugh when idiots like Simon Reed talk about what Lendl will think. How on earth would he know? You know what Lendl will care about with that match? The fact that Andy won, simple as that. Any glitches can be worked on, and they will be.

As usual a succinct and accurate summing up.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon R4: Andy Murray vs. Mikhail Youzhny « Reply #819 on: July 01, 2013, 07:19 PM »

lol the beeb gone off djokovic match now
So they have.  Had to leave the room for a bit so didn't notice that when I got back.  That's the problem when all the players are wearing whites!

Djoko match on RB2 though (channel 302).
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon R4: Andy Murray vs. Mikhail Youzhny « Reply #820 on: July 01, 2013, 07:24 PM »

Just caught the boys' singles results.  How on earth do you pronounce this laddie's name - Trongcharoenchaikul?
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Wimbledon R4: Andy Murray vs. Mikhail Youzhny « Reply #821 on: July 01, 2013, 07:29 PM »

Good win. Youzhny tested Andy in the second set and it was impressive how well Andy handled that. A couple of years ago he'd have probably lost that set.

Also good to see the Centre Court crowd really support Andy now - that'll definitely help him in the later rounds.
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: Wimbledon R4: Andy Murray vs. Mikhail Youzhny « Reply #822 on: July 01, 2013, 07:44 PM »

OMG - I will now have to sit through Nole's match. I feel slightly drained to be honest and not mentally ready to watch another match.
Yes, I was a wreck, I couldn't leave my desk to take a break as I would miss some of the match, was afraid to drink coffee as my stomach was churning.  I was so glad that Andy decided to get on the ball and fight back.  It was probably good that he had to do that, the rest of the matches won't be easy.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon R4: Andy Murray vs. Mikhail Youzhny « Reply #823 on: July 01, 2013, 07:48 PM »

I personally think that the nervy match today from Andy was purely down to what was witnessed in the match that preceeded his when he saw the unbeatable Serena Williams and overall favourite of the competition get knocked out, commentators were saying that Andy would have been aware of the match and probably picked up on it.

Still, like others have said, he still managed to win and in straight sets too so if that is to be his poor performance of the tournament, then i'll take it over a 5 hour Djoko vs Wawrinka match any day
IP Logged
BigNose
Challenger Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Wimbledon R4: Andy Murray vs. Mikhail Youzhny « Reply #824 on: July 01, 2013, 08:07 PM »

Unfortunately Andy does lose concentration regularly. A set up and a break up and he relaxes a few percent and that's all the encouragement Youzhny needs.

But you can't argue with a straight sets win at this stage of the tournament even if it did contain a typically nerve-shredding tie-break.

And Andy looked 100% fit in that 3rd set so no injury worries. Andy looks a dead cert for the final. Janowicz may cause problems if he reaches the semi-finals but he was taking to a 5-sets today by Melzer today and for me that means Andy will eat him for dinner. He always beats these huge servers at Slams.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 ... 60 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »