Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Wimbledon R3: Andy Murray vs. Tommy Robredo 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions
Murray in 3 - 25 (69.4%)
Murray in 4 - 7 (19.4%)
Murray in 5 - 2 (5.6%)
Robredo in 3 - 0 (0%)
Robredo in 4 - 0 (0%)
Robredo in 5 - 2 (5.6%)
Total Voters: 36

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 44 Go Down Reply
Author

Wimbledon R3: Andy Murray vs. Tommy Robredo

(Read 7741 times)
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Wimbledon R3: Andy Murray vs. Tommy Robredo « on: June 26, 2013, 07:17 PM »

Andy, who saw off Lu of Taipei today in three sets will next face 32nd seed and comeback king Tommy Robredo in the third round of Wimbledon.
[ Last edit by Mark June 30, 2013, 02:31 PM ] IP Logged
curtis71
Satellite Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 Round 3: Andy Murray vs. Tommy Robredo « Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 08:38 PM »

AND HE DOESNT HAVE TO FACE NADAL OR FEDERER LMAO!!!!!!!
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Wimbledon 2013 Round 3: Andy Murray vs. Tommy Robredo « Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 09:41 PM »

AND HE DOESNT HAVE TO FACE NADAL OR FEDERER LMAO!!!!!!!
based on their recent performances, he would have stuffed both of them anyway ! Whistle
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Wimbledon 2013 Round 3: Andy Murray vs. Tommy Robredo « Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 09:46 PM »

based on their recent performances, he would have stuffed both of them anyway ! Whistle

@sid w00t

"@Gangsta ...Lu of Taipei". I like the phrase.  Poll plez?
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Wimbledon 2013 Round 3: Andy Murray vs. Tommy Robredo « Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 09:50 PM »

Absolutely!
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon 2013 Round 3: Andy Murray vs. Tommy Robredo « Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 09:58 PM »

THE CHAMPIONSHIPS 2013

Confident Murray Sets Up Robredo Clash
Wimbledon, England
by ATP Staff

© AFP/Getty Images
Andy Murray did not lose his serve against Yen-Hsun Lu on Wednesday.
 Second seed Andy Murray performed with confidence and great efficiency on Wednesday to reach the third round of The Championships.

Murray improved to 10-0 lifetime in singles matches on No. 1 Court after he beat Yen-Hsun Lu 6-3, 6-3, 7-5 in just over two hours. The pair also met at the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells in March.

Last year’s runner-up was a constant threat on Lu’s second serve, stepping one metre inside the baseline to return each delivery. He often turned defence into attack, moving up the court to put away the short ball and hit his targets on serve to send a warning to his rivals in the bottom half of the draw.

“He started off pretty good and then I think he had a few break points at 2 2 in the first set,” said Murray. “Then when I saved them, I started to settle down a bit and he made a few more mistakes. The third set was high quality. I was putting a lot of pressure on him and he kept coming up with some good shots on break points. So I did well to finish it in three sets."

Follow Us On Facebook | Twitter

Murray will next play No. 32 seed Tommy Robredo, who is enjoying a stellar comeback after a serious left knee injury saw the Spaniard drop to No. 471 in the Emirates ATP Rankings in May last year.

“He's a tough player," said Murray. "He had a good win today against Mahut, who has been playing well on the grass. He's very, very experienced. He's extremely fit. He won three matches in a row at the French from two sets to love down. He fights right until the last point. He's been in the top 20 in the world for a number of years. He knows how to win tennis matches. So it's a tough match for me."

Looking ahead to the match, Robredo admitted, "I have nothing to lose. I'm playing great tennis. It's lovely to be at a Grand Slam playing one of the best players on tour."

Robredo completed a 7-6(3), 6-1, 7-6(5) win over last week’s Aegon International titlist, wild card Nicolas Mahut. "I played against a guy who is very difficult to play on grass, and I won in three sets," said Robredo. "Today, I did a great job. I'm feeling the ball perfectly."

Robredo has never gone beyond the third round at Wimbledon, losing at that stage in 2003 (l. to Roddick) and 2009 (l. to Sela). Last month at Roland Garros, Robredo became the first man since Henri Cochet at Wimbledon in 1927 to rally from two sets down in three consecutive matches.

"The motivation has always been strong, but it is important to enjoy my comeback journey," Robredo told ATPWorldTour.com. "I didn’t feel good being 400 in the world, but I am happier now.

"I worked hard to come back, but I never thought that I would not come back. There were times when I did not know what was happening. I keep fighting every day. I do not know where I will finish at the end of the year."

IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 Round 3: Andy Murray vs. Tommy Robredo « Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 10:06 PM »

I am a bit concerned about this one.  Mahut is a good grass court player and was soundly beaten.

Come on Andy.   
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Wimbledon 2013 Round 3: Andy Murray vs. Tommy Robredo « Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 10:21 PM »

Tessie that is about the 5th thing you have said today that I concur with!  goodjob

We have all had a ridiculously amazing day in terms of Murray's chances but can't help feeling that everyone needs to take a huge chill pill. After-all we are only at round 3.

IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Wimbledon 2013 Round 3: Andy Murray vs. Tommy Robredo « Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 10:35 PM »

I am a bit concerned about this one.  Mahut is a good grass court player and was soundly beaten.

Come on Andy.   

These were tweeted during Mahut's match: "Mahut avoids the bagel but looks like he might retire after the set. Movement really hampered by his thigh". ... and "Mahut just got his thigh heavily strapped on as well. Not a good day".

Don't know if it was a new injury or not, didn't see any of it - but also he might have been a bit exhausted mentally, if not physically, by winning 8 matches and his first title last week. 

Robredo has had some good wins recently though....
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Wimbledon 2013 Round 3: Andy Murray vs. Tommy Robredo « Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 09:34 AM »

Thought I'd give the H2H a go since I've not done one for a while Whistle

It's even stevens at 2-2 but they last met in 2009 - 4 years ago - so really can't read anything in to that.

cmonandy  One match at a time yes

* Murray vs Robredo.JPG (100.12 KB, 673x792 - viewed 358 times.)
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Wimbledon 2013 Round 3: Andy Murray vs. Tommy Robredo « Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 09:52 AM »

Didn't Robredo also beat Andy in the Hopman Cup final, which wouldn't be included in the h2h - it was a bit of a surprise.  I certainly think we have to take Tommy seriously so I've voted Andy in 4.  Must say I like Tommy but I don't like him that much of course!
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 Round 3: Andy Murray vs. Tommy Robredo « Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 10:29 AM »

I have just been looking at Robredo's record.  All his wins have been on clay except two.  I think that Mahut was suffering from injury and from the aftermath of winning his first title as this can have a mental effect. I am sure Andy will have a tough time but hopefully will come through.  Tommy's wins against Andy came quite a long time ago. and Andy has beaten him most recently on his best surface - clay.  So let's be positive but anything can happen.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Wimbledon 2013 Round 3: Andy Murray vs. Tommy Robredo « Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 11:30 AM »

Thought I'd give the H2H a go since I've not done one for a while Whistle

Good to have you back on the job Bev. Some slightly alarming naked photos popped up when I had a little google image search for TR last night! 
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon 2013 Round 3: Andy Murray vs. Tommy Robredo « Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 11:38 AM »

I have just been looking at Robredo's record.  All his wins have been on clay except two.  I think that Mahut was suffering from injury and from the aftermath of winning his first title as this can have a mental effect. I am sure Andy will have a tough time but hopefully will come through.  Tommy's wins against Andy came quite a long time ago. and Andy has beaten him most recently on his best surface - clay.  So let's be positive but anything can happen.

Yes, you are correct. Hopman Cup in 2010, so 3 years ago.

Murray had not lost a singles match at the Burswood Dome this week, but failed to take his chance to secure the tie when he wasted an impressive start to lose 1-6, 6-4, 6-3 against Tommy Robredo.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon 2013 Round 3: Andy Murray vs. Tommy Robredo « Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 11:39 AM »

Good to have you back on the job Bev. Some slightly alarming naked photos popped up when I had a little google image search for TR last night! 

lol Did you use some dodgy wording? Very Happy
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 44 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »