Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Wimbledon R3: Andy Murray vs. Tommy Robredo 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions
Murray in 3 - 25 (69.4%)
Murray in 4 - 7 (19.4%)
Murray in 5 - 2 (5.6%)
Robredo in 3 - 0 (0%)
Robredo in 4 - 0 (0%)
Robredo in 5 - 2 (5.6%)
Total Voters: 36

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 [44] Go Down Reply
Author

Wimbledon R3: Andy Murray vs. Tommy Robredo

(Read 7336 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Wimbledon 2013 Round 3: Andy Murray vs. Tommy Robredo « Reply #645 on: June 29, 2013, 08:10 PM »

Yeah but the media love to overhype JJ & Tomic..... both good players on their day...but slam challengers?? neah

LOL are you serious?

They aren't exactly hyping JJ up.

He's been on the scene for like 7 months.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Wimbledon 2013 Round 3: Andy Murray vs. Tommy Robredo « Reply #646 on: June 29, 2013, 08:10 PM »

But JJ is a slam challenger for sure.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 Round 3: Andy Murray vs. Tommy Robredo « Reply #647 on: June 29, 2013, 08:19 PM »

But JJ is a slam challenger for sure.

For sure?? are you serious?

He never won a junior slam.... he has only reached 1 atp final... the paris masters which he lost.

IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 Round 3: Andy Murray vs. Tommy Robredo « Reply #648 on: June 29, 2013, 09:09 PM »

Yeah, as a big fan of Andy, I was slightly annoyed by his media statement that it would be a catastrophe if Andy didnt win.... hardly Johnny Mac!!

It would be disappointing of course.... catastrophe? definately not...and barring serious injury it wont be his last opportunity
I don't think that's what he actually said.  Not unless he gave two very similar interviews.  The first quote I saw was him saying that previously he thought there was less pressure on Andy this year at Wimbledon, but with the draw opening, the media were getting carried away, increasing pressure further.  He said that the papers would make out it was a catastrophe if he didn't make the final.

The next version I read was The Mail quoting him saying that Murray not getting to the final would be a catastrophe.  I'm blaming the Daily Fail for this one.

Don't get me wrong, McEnroe can be gobby, and says some silly things, but in this instance, I think there has been some artistic licence from the papers proving his original point.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon 2013 Round 3: Andy Murray vs. Tommy Robredo « Reply #649 on: June 29, 2013, 09:18 PM »

Johnny Mac goes over the top a lot of the time. I just pay attention to his actual tennis commentary. He's very knowledgeable in that regard and very refreshing to listen to.
I think John just likes to hear himself talk.  Let's face it, commentators have to come up with talk during a match, but having to listen to him non stop makes me want to push the mute button.  I guess I like things I can agree with...haha.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon 2013 Round 3: Andy Murray vs. Tommy Robredo « Reply #650 on: June 29, 2013, 10:31 PM »

What I think McEnroe has done is to say two different things.

Initially I think he was suggesting that if Andy doesn't make the final - he didn't say anything about winning as I recall - the press in Britain would say it was a catastrophe. That seems fair enough. We all know how the press would have a go at Andy if he was to lose before the final, given how his draw has opened up. It wouldn't be fair, but they would.

On Today At Wimbledon the other evening McEnroe did say it would be a catastrophe if Andy didn't make the final. He may have been being tongue in cheek, but still.

The thing that gets me is that Mac knows how much pressure Andy is placed under at Wimbledon. He also knows how well Andy has coped with the pressure. Making flippant remarks isn't helpful, not that Andy will take much notice. It gives people the right, if you like, to think Andy has failed somehow if things don't go as he wants.

Mac is a great commentator, one of the best, but sometimes I think he could learn to think before he speaks.

I wonder what slant Mac would put on it if Djokovic didn't get to the final?
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Wimbledon 2013 Round 3: Andy Murray vs. Tommy Robredo « Reply #651 on: June 29, 2013, 10:42 PM »

I wonder what slant Mac would put on it if Djokovic didn't get to the final?
"Its a catastrophe." Think
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 [44] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »