Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Wimbledon SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will prevail?
Murray in 3
Murray in 4
Murray in 5
Janowicz in 3
Janowicz in 4
Janowicz in 5

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 110 Go Down Reply
Author

Wimbledon SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz

(Read 25762 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #180 on: July 05, 2013, 08:40 AM »

And Glasgow too please Wink

And Glasgow too, of course Smile. They need to leave a corner for a Worcester woman too. Me and you Angie, we'll show 'em!

Go on Andy lad, show the upstart how it's done!
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #181 on: July 05, 2013, 08:44 AM »

And Andy's draw was hard?

JJ played a top 20 opponent, Andy hasn't, and won't until the Final.
I think the point is that Andy has reached many slam semi-finals, often facing tough competition along the way, so even if you can argue he's not really had it tough this time, everyone knows that his form is usually good enough to make it to semi-finals.  With JJ, while he is obviously in form right now, he's not proven he could have made it against a tougher draw, so there are a lot more question marks about his actual form.  You always have to admire someone for making a slam semi, regardless of the draw.  He might have made it this far anyway, but it's definitely legitimate to point out that his one trip to the semis has been more straightforward than they normally are.

I definitely think he's dangerous, which makes me  nervous  I have to keep reminding myself that everyone else thinks Andy is dangerous, lol.

I'm pleased to see that Andy was apparently hitting yesterday with no problems.  I know he wouldn't let on if there was an issue and he could possibly hide it, but for all of the anxiety on Wednesday, the match wasn't hugely long, and conditions weren't too hot and he'd had a straight-forward time of it until then.

One of my concerns for today is that it may take a little longer to adjust to the JJ serve, because he's re-adjusting to a right-handed server, but that won't take too long.  We all need to hold our nerves.  I'm not very good at that, but thankfully my nerves don't influence the outcome.  Andy's nerves are made of much stronger stuff!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #182 on: July 05, 2013, 08:50 AM »

Just so the CC don't forget, Andy wants a bit of this kicking clapping 

Can Mr Wimbledon put this on the tannoy system? lol

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #183 on: July 05, 2013, 09:05 AM »

loved that telegraph piece -but surely they should allocate all the tickets freed up to those who have proved to be Andy's true fans over the years ie US.   Unfortunately I don't think Andy can hear those on the hill/mount as it's just outside Court 1 and not that close to centre court.  I'd be interested to know from anyone who was on centre on wednesday whether you could hear us in the distance. 
Caz - loved your post too.  And after all Andy how has 'gold dust' advice from Fergy so doesn't need us for that!  Whistle
Looks like it could be hot today which should be good for Andy's back. 
Lindsey Davenport was calmly certain that Andy would win on Today at W yesterday.  As for me I'm a bag of  nervous
I know Andy is more than capable of beating JJ but I also know that anything can happen in tennis as we've seen over and over again during the last couple of weeks.  Just believe in yourself Andy and remember you are an Olympic gold medalist and a USO champion - you are absolutely one of the best.   cmon yeah cmon yeah cmon yeah
IP Logged
Nicky1877

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #184 on: July 05, 2013, 09:16 AM »

Get rid of all the posh snobs and fake royals and get the tartan army packed into centre court! Murray could walk out to a rousing chorus of O' Flower of Scotland instead of empty seats when everyone is away buying strawberries. Janowicz wouldn't stand a chance getting his 140 mph serve in with bagpipes and drums hammering out Scotland the Brave while hundreds of drunk Scots lift their kilts to give him a target to aim at!  jumping-w00t cmonandy
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #185 on: July 05, 2013, 09:23 AM »

Pat Cash: "Janowicz is 22 and I guess he never thought he would get here. In the past this is the sort of age you would have expected players to break through at a Grand Slam like I did in 1987, but these days it tends to be a little bit later.

So far in this tournament, Murray has made 77% of his returns and this has enabled him to break serve 24 times. His game plan on return is simple and it is set up perfectly to deal with big servers such as Janowicz. Murray likes to give himself time when returning first serves, which he will hope will enable him to neutralise the Pole’s big weapon. However, he will look to be very aggressive on Janowicz’s second serve, taking it well inside the baseline. Janowicz’s second serve has been fallible so far, especially in his quarter-final, where he won only 36% of the points on it.

"For somebody who has got that much power, at 6ft 8in with a monster of a serve, a big forehand and decent movement, he is always going to be a danger.

"He has beaten Murray convincingly before. Murray may have been a little bit off and thinking about the ATP World Tour finals a week later, but a win is a win and it will be at the back of Murray's mind."

Mats Wilander: "I expect Murray to come out and play a real tennis match, open up his shoulders and hit out. I thought he was too passive against Fernando Verdasco.

"He knows Janowicz leads the head-to-head and will be unafraid. He has a big serve, a big game and this is not the only time he is going to make the semis at Wimbledon. Murray has to step it up - a lot - and I expect him to do that, but it's going to be a tricky one.

"Experience will be the biggest factor. Murray is physically really, really strong and very quick. He is strong in the corners and returns well. As long as he gets the ball back in play from Janowicz's huge serve, it's going to take another blow by Janowicz to do something with it.

"By the time Murray has hit three shots, he has neutralised the power and we are then on an even playing field. Murray will show he is a little bit too good.

The numbers Janowicz has posted with his first serve throughout the tournament have been phenomenal. He has hit 94 aces, made 65% of his first serves and won 84% of those points. This graphic illustrates where his first serves landed in his win over Kubot. The combination of pace (he hit one serve at 140mph) and variation meant that 70% of his first serves did not come back into play.

"Although I think Murray could win in three sets, a couple will probably go to tie-break. But in the long run, Murray is a marathon runner, Janowicz a sprinter and the marathon runner is likely to prevail."

Jonas Bjorkman: "Wednesday was the best performance I've ever seen from Murray without playing his best tennis. He showed some great character, he worked hard to find his game and I was massively impressed. He got the crowd going and in the end managed to come up with some big plays to win the match.

"Janowicz has the biggest serve in tennis right now; he hit 30 aces in the quarter-finals. He's had a day to adjust to what he's achieved, but it's going to be interesting to see how he handles all the attention because it's completely different.

"I watched him warming up on Court 15 on Wednesday and there were maybe 10 people watching. That quadrupled on Thursday, it will be even more on Friday and a lot will depend on the mental approach he takes into the match.

"Andy is a great returner and he's going to make Janowicz play a lot. Once he gets the ball in you've got to favour Andy, but he can't be too defensive because Janowicz moves well for a big guy and has got big weapons.

"Andy needs to make sure he steps in and takes control of the rallies. With the crowd on his side, I think Andy will come through in four sets."

From the beeb.

Can someone have a word with Mats and refresh his memory on the H2H or perhaps I should send him a link to my graphic Whistle
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #186 on: July 05, 2013, 09:39 AM »

Get rid of all the posh snobs and fake royals and get the tartan army packed into centre court! Murray could walk out to a rousing chorus of O' Flower of Scotland instead of empty seats when everyone is away buying strawberries. Janowicz wouldn't stand a chance getting his 140 mph serve in with bagpipes and drums hammering out Scotland the Brave while hundreds of drunk Scots lift their kilts to give him a target to aim at!  jumping-w00t cmonandy

Oh I so wish I could see that wouldn't it be great.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #187 on: July 05, 2013, 09:46 AM »

Wilander is a patronising prat. Janowicz leads the head to head. Honestly! As for Cash, did he not see Paris? Andy had match points!!!! Convincingly my....armholes.

Go on Andy, wipe the floor with him! Make my day! Grrrrrr!
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #188 on: July 05, 2013, 09:48 AM »

Good luck everyone for this afternoon. I think I am going to go on a complete news/internet blackout from about 14.00 until 19.00 hours today. The QF almost killed me. This one terrifies me for some reason. I have been worried about Janowich since the start. Delighted as I was to be rid of Fed, I was relying on him to clinically dispose of him for us. Mind you we all worried about Raonic at the US Open, and looked what happened there...!!!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #189 on: July 05, 2013, 10:02 AM »

Feel the same way Masaka.  Would be less anxious if Andy were playing the more known quantities of Fed or Rafa somehow. 
Re the H2H I don't think Davis Cup matches are counted are they?  But also didn't Andy come close to winning in Paris but failed to serve it out?  If so, I wouldn't say that JJ won that 'convincingly' to quote Cash. 
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #190 on: July 05, 2013, 10:14 AM »

May I recommend this as POST OF THE WEEK - cheered me up no end. I too am in great fear of this afternoon's match - much rather it were Fed. Mind you he's a cracking young man - ooh if only I were a few years younger.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #191 on: July 05, 2013, 10:28 AM »

I think Andy will be fine. Janowicz has talent but he's inconsistent too and Andy will be there to take advantage of any lapses. He's one of the best returners in the world and good returners nearly always defeat the big servers.

Janowicz has done well to get to the SF but the highest-ranked player he's defeated is Almagro who is a bad returner generally, and especially on grass. Andy will test him so much more.

I'd be much more nervous if he were facing Rafa or Fed because of their record on grass and the fact that the crowd support would be divided then. This afternoon I'm sure the crowd will be firmly behind Andy and that should help him too.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #192 on: July 05, 2013, 10:28 AM »

I think Andy plays with a freedom when he plays Fedal becuase he knows although he may be slight favorite no-one would be at all suprised if he lost or would overly criticise him for it.

This is different he is heavy favorite and knows the press will be on at him for letting such an opportunity slip by. So he may not have the confidence to play his best although I'm sure he will have learned from his errors last match and Mr L will have an encouraging word in his ear to help him through!

cmonandy xxxxxxx
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #193 on: July 05, 2013, 10:40 AM »

Anyone know what the current betting odds are? I have faith in them. If the bookies think Mr M will be in the final that will encourage me no end.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #194 on: July 05, 2013, 10:46 AM »

Anyone know what the current betting odds are? I have faith in them. If the bookies think Mr M will be in the final that will encourage me no end.

On William Hill the odds are 1/6 for an Andy win and 4/1 for a Janowicz win. Interestingly though they give Janowicz a slightly greater chance of beating Andy than they do for Delpo to beat Djokovic - the odds there are 9/2 Delpo and 1/7 Djokovic.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 110 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »