Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Wimbledon SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will prevail?
Murray in 3
Murray in 4
Murray in 5
Janowicz in 3
Janowicz in 4
Janowicz in 5

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 110 Go Down Reply
Author

Wimbledon SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz

(Read 15612 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #90 on: July 04, 2013, 02:19 AM »

58 winners is servebotting is it?
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #91 on: July 04, 2013, 02:23 AM »

58 winners is servebotting is it?
Yes, 30 of them were aces.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #92 on: July 04, 2013, 02:35 AM »

In any case taking JJ's stats for that match.  (1st serve %) 68% * 90% (1st serve point %)  = 61% of points that JJ wins when using a 1st serve - this is obviously a lot higher than the 29% of points he was winning when using his 2nd serve.

There's an interesting article on it I just found: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/30/sports/tennis/30serving.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I agree with the psychology though, I think the 1st serve % would decrease quite a bit because of the pressure. However in the case of someone like JJ who has such a high 1st serve percentages is he surely not better off just throwing down 2 first serves? Or in the very least mixing it up like doing it half of the time.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #93 on: July 04, 2013, 03:22 AM »

Yeah, woeful speed for a second serve. Just look at it compared to Verdasco's, Kubot's and Janowicz's in those stats.

Now that is actually something I will be worried about on Friday. JJ is not the best returner on the first serve, but he can easily attack Andy's second serve.
Difference is, he often uses a lot of slice on his second serve - so naturally it's a good 20mph slower. The variety on it actually makes it far harder to judge, compared to two Poles who just tend to hit flat second serves. Harder, but easier to read.

Of course Murray does often tend to throw in particularly poor ones with little bounce or spin that get punished, but generally his second serve isn't as bad as the speed suggests. A lot more to serving than raw power.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #94 on: July 04, 2013, 03:54 AM »

Thought I'd post the match stats vs Melzer, since that was a tighter match.

* JJ match stats vs Melzer.JPG (46.44 KB, 675x467 - viewed 331 times.)
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #95 on: July 04, 2013, 08:04 AM »

Having watched Verdasco rise from the dead and endured Andy's match yesterday I view this one with grave doubts
  Janowicz has already beaten Andy this season and he's a brash youngster with boundless energy,a Polish work ethic, and has nothing to lose He's going to be very difficult to beat
 However Andy is now so close to being in the Final that I'm hoping this will  be enough to push over the victory line.
  I vote Andy in 4
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #96 on: July 04, 2013, 09:03 AM »

Seeing the emotion from JJ after his win, I have a feeling that he will not play as well as he can. I'm sure he will want to go further but I wonder if he will be able to put his foot down and progress, whereas Andy has come through a tough match when he his game was not on song, he won through grit and determination and he knows that he can having done it many times win this match. As has been said elsewhere this will be like Milos R match following the Lopez match. So I expect Andy to get through.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #97 on: July 04, 2013, 09:17 AM »

Has the schedule been announced yet for friday?
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #98 on: July 04, 2013, 09:22 AM »

Jerzy Janowicz looks like the love child of the Incredible Hulk and David Walliams.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #99 on: July 04, 2013, 09:27 AM »

I see Jerzy is trying to play Fed mind games

Jerzy Janowicz says all the pressure will be on Andy Murray going into their Wimbledon semi-final tomorrow. Janowicz beat compatriot Lukasz Kubot 7-5, 6-4, 6-4 to become the first man from Poland to reach a grand slam singles semi-final.

Having already exceeded his own expectations, he is hoping that the massive burden of national expectation on Murray will work in his favour. "I hope Andy will feel some kind of pressure," he said. "I'm sure he will feel some kind of pressure because Great Britain is waiting for an English champion at Wimbledon.

I actually think he means British too Very Happy
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #100 on: July 04, 2013, 09:45 AM »

Jerzy Janowicz looks like the love child of the Incredible Hulk and David Walliams.
   I thought more Janet Street Porter and Ivan Lendl
IP Logged
Nicky1877

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #101 on: July 04, 2013, 10:02 AM »

Murray is likely to be on 2nd on Friday, I expect Del Potro to at least take a set of Djokovic so its going to be about 4 - half 4 at the earliest he's on. Finish work at 12 on a Friday so that gives me time to get a few beers in me first and calm the nerves a bit!
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #102 on: July 04, 2013, 10:15 AM »

The 5 set comback by Andy just shows the strength of his mind now compared with a few years ago. Well done to him.

Last year Roger Federer was 2 sets down then went to a 4th set tiebreak against Benneteau in the 3rd round. He also dropped a set against Malisse in the 4th round.  Malisse had just taken 5 sets to beat Verdasco in his previous round otherwise he might have given Federer an even harder time. What I'm getting at is it's quite common for the big players to have hard fought matches against top 100 players, but still come through somehow. As we know Roger went on to win the tournament for the 7th time!

Let’s hope Andy can now have an easier time against Janowicz and find his way into his second successive Wimbledon final.  Friday might be Nole’s surprise day, when he meets Del Potro, surely he will take at least a set off him and might even shock him with a win. A Murray v Del Potro final would be great!!  Andy has only ever played Federer or Djockovic in a grad slam final to date.
IP Logged
Moozza

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #103 on: July 04, 2013, 12:19 PM »

Great comeback from Andy. He is so mentally strong these days and even at 2-0 down I always felt there was a decent chance he would come through. With all the pressure on him, at 2 sets down lesser players might have crumbled and went away but Andy fought even harder and was extremely clutch.

As for the next match, not sure Janowicz will play better than Verdasco did today. Think Andy will also raise his game now he's been fully tested.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #104 on: July 04, 2013, 12:21 PM »

Hahahaahahahahahaahahahaahaha!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 110 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »