Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Wimbledon SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will prevail?
Murray in 3
Murray in 4
Murray in 5
Janowicz in 3
Janowicz in 4
Janowicz in 5

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 110 Go Down Reply
Author

Wimbledon SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz

(Read 15687 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #120 on: July 04, 2013, 06:34 PM »

I also see that he wants the crowd pressure to basically destroy Andy tomorrow.  Brave words I feel.
I don't think that's what Jerzy meant but was just stating what is a well-known fact.

I've just been listening to him being interviewed by Sue Barker.  He sounds quite a decent young man to me with a good sense of humour - not that I want him to win tomorrow, but a lot of negative things have been said about his on-court persona.  Also he's had to overcome a fair amount of adversity to get where he is, so all credit to him.  He didn't come across as being in the least bit cocky, but he did exude a fair degree of quiet confidence in himself and didn't seem to be particularly fazed about this match.  In fact he seems to be relishing the challenge.  I expect there won't be any shortage of Polish support either, if not in the stadium then on Henman Hill.

I'm sure though that Andy won't make the same mistakes that he did in Paris, particularly that of blowing MP (and, no, I'm not a member of the 'he was tanking' brigade) but he will definitely have to remain focused throughout, although a nervy start could be on the cards given the massive expectations on his shoulders this year.

For those who want a reminder of that match -

IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #121 on: July 04, 2013, 06:36 PM »

Oh Teejay I wish I could be that  confident. Stressing already.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #122 on: July 04, 2013, 06:44 PM »

I am too Tessie.  It's good to read so many positive posts but I'm already feeling very  nervous  .  If Andy's mobility is at all impaired by his back that can have repercussions for all of his game and for his confidence.  Let's hope he didn't feel any bad after effects of playing a 5 set match and I don't think I noticed any actual clutching during yesterday's match even though I gather his back was rather stiff (from what 5 live sports guy who was sitting in andy's box for some reason said). 
Oddly enough I think I'd feel less nervous if he were facing Rafa or smugfed as then Andy would be seen as marginally the underdog whereas in theory he is the massive overdog.

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #123 on: July 04, 2013, 06:49 PM »

Oh Teejay I wish I could be that  confident. Stressing already.

I'm nervous, don't get me wrong. I just think we have more reason to be hopeful than JJ's fans do.

Andy is experienced. JJ isn't. JJ is playing one of the best returners in the game, the best returner of the second serve, the second best player in the world.

The fact is that if Andy had won that match in Paris he would be up 2-0 in the head to head and no one would be that worried. JJ would be seen as awkward, but beatable. I still think he is awkward, but beatable.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #124 on: July 04, 2013, 07:05 PM »

I am too Tessie.  It's good to read so many positive posts but I'm already feeling very  nervous  .  If Andy's mobility is at all impaired by his back that can have repercussions for all of his game and for his confidence.  Let's hope he didn't feel any bad after effects of playing a 5 set match and I don't think I noticed any actual clutching during yesterday's match even though I gather his back was rather stiff (from what 5 live sports guy who was sitting in andy's box for some reason said). 
Oddly enough I think I'd feel less nervous if he were facing Rafa or smugfed as then Andy would be seen as marginally the underdog whereas in theory he is the massive overdog.
Fortunately stiffness can wear off as the match goes on and Andy should be well warmed up by the time the match starts, but having watched the Paris highlights, and some of the full match, which I did see live, all I can say that anyone who thinks JJ is just a big serve and nothing else has either never seen him play or is seriously deluding themselves.

I've just been watching Andy practising today on TV and his movement looks fine, but I realise there's a difference between practice and actual match play.  It's worth bearing in mind though that Andy has had this problem for a long time yet still managed to get to the Wimbledon final, win the Olympics and the USO and reach the AO final.  Madrid was an unfortunate combination of things - clay plus two consecutive late night sessions in below seasonal normal temperatures - and I've no doubt that that's what greatly contributed to the recent bad flare-up.
[ Last edit by Aileen July 04, 2013, 07:13 PM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #125 on: July 04, 2013, 07:12 PM »

Fortunately stiffness can wear off as the match goes on and Andy should be well warmed up by the time the match starts, but having watched the Paris highlights, and some of the full match, which I did see live, all I can say that anyone who thinks JJ is just a big serve and nothing else has either never seen him play or is seriously deluding themselves. 

I think he is more than a big serve. He does have some nice flair to his game when he wants to, but I do think his game is ugly to watch. It can be very effective, but pretty it certainly isn't.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #126 on: July 04, 2013, 07:27 PM »

He may be more than a big serve, but he still has a pretty damn poor record on return games. It's evidently his major weapon - either winning points outright or setting them up.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #127 on: July 04, 2013, 07:33 PM »

I think mental fortitude and experience should see Andy through this match - but then again, JJ has absolutely nothing to lose and no pressure on him, really - a bit like Andy himself in the early days.  It'll be interesting to see how the match unfolds and how each of these guys respond to what goes on.
IP Logged
audie
Futures Level

my guilty ppleasure

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #128 on: July 04, 2013, 07:46 PM »

lets hope andy on top form . so dont want my tummy doing backflips like wed night ,c,mon andy im rooting for you all the way
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #129 on: July 04, 2013, 07:52 PM »

I just hope Andy gets his first serves in consistently.

Like Luke said, JJ's return on grass is not so good, but if Andy's giving him a look in on second serves it will be a whole different story.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #130 on: July 04, 2013, 07:56 PM »

No bullshiting around Andy. The QF should of been a lesson well learned and should help Andy.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #131 on: July 04, 2013, 08:24 PM »

IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #132 on: July 04, 2013, 08:43 PM »

If Andy plays like the world no.2 that he is he should come through this ok. It's a slam semi though so I expect a tough one.
c'mon Andy cmon yeah
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #133 on: July 04, 2013, 08:56 PM »

I still not recovered from yesterday, and now im really nervous for  tommorow!!

Can't wait though, i reckon both semis will be good. The way Delpo played in his QF and Nole in his, I cant see it being straights to Novak, I wouldnt be suprised if its a 5 setter tbh, all depends on delpo's health.

If it does go long tommorow may play into Andys hands even more as it'll give JJ more time to think about where he is.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #134 on: July 04, 2013, 08:58 PM »

Janowicz interview -

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11jdx2_jerzy-janowicz-interview-w-2013-sf-preview_sport
[ Last edit by ProdigyEng July 04, 2013, 09:04 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 110 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »