Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Wimbledon SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will prevail?
Murray in 3
Murray in 4
Murray in 5
Janowicz in 3
Janowicz in 4
Janowicz in 5

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 110 Go Down Reply
Author

Wimbledon SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz

(Read 20304 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #135 on: July 04, 2013, 09:22 PM »

I just hope Andy gets his first serves in consistently.

Like Luke said, JJ's return on grass is not so good, but if Andy's giving him a look in on second serves it will be a whole different story.
That's my worry.

He comes across quite well in the interview, a lot easier to warm to than when he's screaming and grunting during matches.

Taking a step back, his run over the last year really is incredible. I think people don't really look too much into because of how good he's proved he is in recent times, but to rise from 200+ a year ago to a Grand Slam semi-final inside a year is quite unbelievable. I remember keeping an eye on him (before I'd ever seen him play like) when he was just outside the top 100 in 2011. He fell away after that (injuries?), then made the Wimbledon 3R and won a few challengers last year then broke through at Paris. Such a huge and sudden rise almost out of nowhere. Crazy. Never made a 250 final yet he's made a Masters final and Grand Slam semi.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter July 04, 2013, 09:27 PM ] IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #136 on: July 04, 2013, 09:22 PM »

I still not recovered from yesterday, and now im really nervous for  tommorow!!

Can't wait though, i reckon both semis will be good. The way Delpo played in his QF and Nole in his, I cant see it being straights to Novak, I wouldnt be suprised if its a 5 setter tbh, all depends on delpo's health.

If it does go long tommorow may play into Andys hands even more as it'll give JJ more time to think about where he is.
Depends on how DelPo's knee holds up I guess. Both him and Ferrer were walking wounded yesterday.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #137 on: July 04, 2013, 09:27 PM »

He may be more than a big serve, but he still has a pretty damn poor record on return games. It's evidently his major weapon - either winning points outright or setting them up.
I may not be as knowledgeable about tennis as you are, but it does seem to me that JJ has a pretty good tennis brain.  Even from that brief video it looked like he played some very smart shots, and not just off his serve either. 

I think mental fortitude and experience should see Andy through this match - but then again, JJ has absolutely nothing to lose and no pressure on him, really - a bit like Andy himself in the early days.  It'll be I to see how the match unfolds and how each of these guys respond to what goes on.
I suspect JJ is putting quite a bit of pressure on himself, and we've got no idea what the Polish media hype is, but this is the first Polish male to reach a GS semi let alone a final, so you'd think that might mean something.  I have to say though, that, having had a quick look at the Polish press in English, the sports sections are taken up entirely with football.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #138 on: July 04, 2013, 09:29 PM »

I may not be as knowledgeable about tennis as you are, but it does seem to me that JJ has a pretty good tennis brain.  Even from that brief video it looked like he played some very smart shots, and not just off his serve either. 

I suspect JJ is putting quite a bit of pressure on himself, and we've got no idea what the Polish media hype is, but this is the first Polish male to reach a GS semi let alone a final, so you'd think that might mean something.  I have to say though, that, having had a quick look at the Polish press in English, the sports sections are taken up entirely with football.
Well you don't break the top 20 with poor shot selection. Wink
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #139 on: July 04, 2013, 09:31 PM »

He may be more than a big serve, but he still has a pretty damn poor record on return games. It's evidently his major weapon - either winning points outright or setting them up.

I wondered about his returns. It does seem to be an area where he can be found out.

As much as Andy will have to be on his game, JJ will have to be as well. We shouldn't forget that. Andy isn't 2 in the world for nothing.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #140 on: July 04, 2013, 09:32 PM »

Depends on how DelPo's knee holds up I guess. Both him and Ferrer were walking wounded yesterday.

Yup ...to play and challenge Djoko the opponent has to be 100% ready physically otherwise they will lose.

Djoko can play several consecutive 5 setters and play his best tennis. Winning against him is rarely down to fitness ...its coz the opponent played the best tennis.

If Del Po leg is prob ...If Murrays back is a prob....if Janowicz's shoulder is a prob....none of them will beat Djoko period
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #141 on: July 04, 2013, 09:33 PM »

Let's hope the Andy who delivered a lesson to Raonic at USO will make an appearance tomorrow.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #142 on: July 04, 2013, 09:34 PM »

Strange thing is Del Potro seems to play a better game when injured.

When he's fit he's too defensive and passive.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #143 on: July 04, 2013, 09:41 PM »

Strange thing is Del Potro seems to play a better game when injured.

When he's fit he's too defensive and passive.

Del Potro's best tennis when he is confident, aggressive and hitting big....is a huge threat to DJoko's game style.... maybe the biggest threat.

Andy's style is also tough for Djoko coz in many ways its similar to his...hence the long matches ....both are exceptional at getting the ball back for an extra shot.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #144 on: July 04, 2013, 09:41 PM »

Well you don't break the top 20 with poor shot selection. Wink
I know, but that wasn't quite the impression I picked up from your post, although possibly I just misinterpreted it. Smile

For those who are worried about Andy's fitness [from today's Independent] -

Andy Murray reported no ill effects from yesterday's epic win over Fernando Verdasco and is ready to take on the might of Jerzy Janowicz in tomorrow's Wimbledon semi-finals.

The second seed was out on the All England Club's Aorangi Park practice courts at midday today for an hour-long session with hitting partner Dani Vallverdu.

Vallverdu served at Murray from well inside the baseline to try to mimic the delivery of 6ft 8in Janowicz, who has served 31 aces more than anyone else in the tournament.

The Scot needed almost three and a half hours to get past Verdasco yesterday, recovering from two sets to love down for the seventh time in his grand-slam career.

It was a tense evening on Centre Court that no doubt took a lot out of Murray, but he expects to have fully recovered in time to face Janowicz.

He said: "I'm feeling pretty good considering, I felt good today (in practice). I slept for about eight and a half hours so that was pretty good.

"Normally (a match like that) does take an emotional toll but I should be recovered by tomorrow."

IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #145 on: July 04, 2013, 09:48 PM »

The way Andy ended the last match ....his energy level and fitness seemed great....I reckon he is in very good shape ...much better than when he played DJoko at. the Oz Open.

I was concerned how Andy's back was holding up.... but Im not now... think he is fine.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #146 on: July 04, 2013, 10:12 PM »

I predict JJ will come out swinging for the fences and take the first set. He'll probably go a break up in the second, too. At this point reality will kick in and I expect Andy to win in four.
At which point I'll have had my 19th nervous breakdown.

Hope it's not as bad as the Nigel., w00t  but JJ is a tough-spunky type and HE wont be too nervous. His hard exterior fascade doesnt give away his emotions.

IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #147 on: July 04, 2013, 10:15 PM »

That's my worry.

He comes across quite well in the interview, a lot easier to warm to than when he's screaming and grunting during matches.

Taking a step back, his run over the last year really is incredible. I think people don't really look too much into because of how good he's proved he is in recent times, but to rise from 200+ a year ago to a Grand Slam semi-final inside a year is quite unbelievable. I remember keeping an eye on him (before I'd ever seen him play like) when he was just outside the top 100 in 2011. He fell away after that (injuries?), then made the Wimbledon 3R and won a few challengers last year then broke through at Paris. Such a huge and sudden rise almost out of nowhere. Crazy. Never made a 250 final yet he's made a Masters final and Grand Slam semi.

I hope he wins a 250 event soon.

Would be an injustice for such a good player like JJ to not hold a title when clowns like Tomug do.
IP Logged
scotsgeek28
Futures Level

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #148 on: July 04, 2013, 10:22 PM »

Janowicz has had the luckiest draw ever for a slam for someone not in the top 10.  Melzer in the last 16, Kubot in a wimby QF, it is like all his lucky days have come at once.  So he beat Almagro, big deal.  The fact is he hasn't played anyone decent yet.  This boy has been way over hyped IMO.  This is Andy's easiest ever match in a slam semi-final.  I expect him to wipe the floor with the pole in straight sets no problem.  He always demolishes the big hitters.  That match in Paris, where Andy never plays well, is totally irrelevant.  This will be an easy ride to the final again.

I watched Jerzy play Melzer in the QF and he was very lucky to come through that one. 

We are all set for an Andy v Nole final, with hopefully the ending we had in New York rather than Melbourne (x2).
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Wimbledon 2013 SF: Andy Murray vs. Jerzy Janowicz « Reply #149 on: July 04, 2013, 10:24 PM »

JJ played the world 130 in the QF so yes he's in a Slam semi-final but had an almost impossibly favourable QF opponent. I just don't see this guy threatening Andy.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 110 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »