Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Wimbledon 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 3. - 20 (52.6%)
Murray in 4. - 9 (23.7%)
Murray in 5. - 3 (7.9%)
Dimitrov in 3. - 1 (2.6%)
Dimitrov in 4. - 3 (7.9%)
Dimitrov in 5. - 2 (5.3%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 [76] 77 Go Down Reply
Author

Wimbledon 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov

(Read 13915 times)
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1125 on: July 07, 2014, 07:59 PM »

Everyone knows Andy swears.  I don't see the point in his PR people trying to pretend otherwise.  If they wanted to do a PR job on it, they'd announce that Andy was struggling to focus because he was coming down with a virus, and (as they'd already said), they know he swears a bit, but didn't hear any abuse aimed at them.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1126 on: July 07, 2014, 09:28 PM »

I don't think it is Andy's PR people (I can't believe I've just used Andy and PR in the same sentence) denying he swears, or swore on the day. As I read it, it's the press photographers, who originally said he swore, now admitting they were wrong. If I was of a suspicious nature I would swear they made it up to start with and they've been caught out. Just as well I'm not suspicious.

I really do think the reaction from the media to this loss has been bordering on mass hysteria. Don't get me wrong, I am disappointed, but for Andy, not with him. Sure, I was sorry about the loss, and sorry Andy couldn't find his best when he needed it. I was sorry it had to be at Wimbledon, in front of a largely home crowd. I was sorry Andy couldn't find the fight he so often has. However, at the end of the day Andy lost a tennis match. He hasn't killed someone or run over the neighbour's pet pooch. The media should get off his back now and let him focus on the rest of the year.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Wimbledon 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1127 on: July 07, 2014, 10:49 PM »

I don't think it is Andy's PR people (I can't believe I've just used Andy and PR in the same sentence) denying he swears, or swore on the day. As I read it, it's the press photographers, who originally said he swore, now admitting they were wrong. If I was of a suspicious nature I would swear they made it up to start with and they've been caught out. Just as well I'm not suspicious.

I really do think the reaction from the media to this loss has been bordering on mass hysteria. Don't get me wrong, I am disappointed, but for Andy, not with him. Sure, I was sorry about the loss, and sorry Andy couldn't find his best when he needed it. I was sorry it had to be at Wimbledon, in front of a largely home crowd. I was sorry Andy couldn't find the fight he so often has. However, at the end of the day Andy lost a tennis match. He hasn't killed someone or run over the neighbour's pet pooch. The media should get off his back now and let him focus on the rest of the year.

I think it will all die down when Andy goes to Miami. To be honest i was surprised to see that pic of him in pictures thread,  I thought he would have already been in Miami by now.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1128 on: July 07, 2014, 11:13 PM »

Pepole seem to have forgotten all the stuff,Connors and Macenroe got up to and said.It really tics me off.

Forgotten? Not a chance! They wallow in it as a wonderous memory of a golden time when tennis was full of personalities  and rue the fact there are no personalities in the game  now . (To be fair the advent of the 'big 4' has overtaken the wallowing a bit). My brothers and I had great fun playing in the street taking turns to be McEnroe and Connors with exaggerated grunts and yells of 'you cannot be serious'. fun times!
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Wimbledon 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1129 on: July 07, 2014, 11:20 PM »

Forgotten? Not a chance! They wallow in it as a wonderous memory of a golden time when tennis was full of personalities  and rue the fact there are no personalities in the game  now . (To be fair the advent of the 'big 4' has overtaken the wallowing a bit). My brothers and I had great fun playing in the street taking turns to be McEnroe and Connors with exaggerated grunts and yells of 'you cannot be serious'. fun times!

Connors was a brilliant player, but his grunts were just what the f.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1130 on: July 07, 2014, 11:22 PM »

Right, now I'm officially furious! Steam is pouring out of my ears! I'm reposting this from the articles thread, mainly because I'm so livid.

The BBC is running an article on their sports pages on their website, as well as their BBC Sport facebook page. They are asking people if Andy is going to win any more slams, highlighting his drop in ranking. It's attracting a lot of 'comment' from Murray haters.

I've ranted on facebook. It's so patently obvious that the BBC is pandering to a certain type of person now, and Andy is getting the stick for it. It's disgusting, pure and simple.

I can't link to the piece because I don't know how to do it on my ipad.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1131 on: July 08, 2014, 12:27 PM »

I have spent some time recently reading the biographies and autobiographies of the tennis stars of the past  and have found some amazing discoveries.  Nastase sounds like a very nice person off court.  I discovered how bad the British media from his book.  McEnroe was very like our Andy.  He was expected to beat anyone below him in the rankings which he found difficult because of the pressure.  He frequently had self-doubts and says that you cannot expect to come out on court everyday and be at your best.  He also put a lot of pressure on himself which he felt contributed to some of his losses.   I am fascinated by the similarities.

I am sure that Andy will be too busy to read the trash in the media. 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1132 on: July 08, 2014, 05:30 PM »

Good posting!  I admit I only saw the last set but from what I've read and heard it all sounds like a massive over-reaction to this defeat, like it was something that had never happened to anyone else!

I also posted this blog on the News Articles thread, and it seems to sum everything up, really - http://www.meltontimes.co.uk/sport/sports-editor-s-blog-murray-s-wimbledon-defeat-fuels-the-negative-british-1-6163984

I think it will all die down when Andy goes to Miami. To be honest i was surprised to see that pic of him in pictures thread,  I thought he would have already been in Miami by now.
Maybe he's decided to have a wee holiday first, although I'd have thought somewhere like the Bahamas would be the best place to be right now!

I have spent some time recently reading the biographies and autobiographies of the tennis stars of the past  and have found some amazing discoveries.  Nastase sounds like a very nice person off court.  I discovered how bad the British media from his book.  McEnroe was very like our Andy.  He was expected to beat anyone below him in the rankings which he found difficult because of the pressure.  He frequently had self-doubts and says that you cannot expect to come out on court everyday and be at your best.  He also put a lot of pressure on himself which he felt contributed to some of his losses.   I am fascinated by the similarities.

I've read McEnroe's book too and found the similarities with Andy very interesting, as well as hearing about his own experiences.
[ Last edit by Aileen July 08, 2014, 05:36 PM ] IP Logged
althusser
Junior

Re: Wimbledon 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1133 on: July 08, 2014, 08:13 PM »

Yes I think if you compare the current big four to the old big four i.e. Borg, mcenroe, Connors and lendl, Andy is most like Mcenroe. Both players with a rage for perfection which has both helped and hindered them. Also arguably the most naturally gifted of the era.
I love the photo of the two of them shaking hands as Andy climbs up to his box at Wimbledon last year after winning
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1134 on: July 08, 2014, 08:27 PM »

Fed better than Sampras?  Each man very diversified on court, Fed did not have the strong opponents that Sampras had, and that's why he was able to win more slams than Pete.  Every one that Fed played except Andy would fall at his feet and let Fed win.  I realize that people do not like Pete as he beat Tim many times keeping him from winning Wimby, and you thought he was boring, but he was an excellent player.  And if Andy had his serving weapons, you would not think Andy was boring.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1135 on: July 08, 2014, 08:58 PM »

Thanks Jan!  hug I'm afraid I rarely venture onto the match threads during the live play anymore, as all the negativity gets me down, so I prefer to read them next day! Even then, I sometimes find I can't stomach more than a few pages if Andy hasn't played his best!
Me too Caz.  It'such a shame that there are a few people who have to be so goddamed negative, yet call themselves 'supporters'!
IP Logged
althusser
Junior

Re: Wimbledon 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1136 on: July 08, 2014, 11:03 PM »

Think we felt bad about this result? Try being Brazil tonite!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1137 on: July 08, 2014, 11:05 PM »

My heart really went out to them - and I'm not even a footie fan!
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1138 on: July 09, 2014, 12:52 AM »

I have spent some time recently reading the biographies and autobiographies of the tennis stars of the past  and have found some amazing discoveries.  Nastase sounds like a very nice person off court.  I discovered how bad the British media from his book.  McEnroe was very like our Andy.  He was expected to beat anyone below him in the rankings which he found difficult because of the pressure.  He frequently had self-doubts and says that you cannot expect to come out on court everyday and be at your best.  He also put a lot of pressure on himself which he felt contributed to some of his losses.   I am fascinated by the similarities.

Yeah...I have always thought that Jonny Mac and Andy were similar in soo many ways. Thats why I wanted J Mac to be his coach... he the ex player, imo, who is in the best place to advise him the why and how ..to move forward.

There is still hope.... no announcement on Amelie yet.
IP Logged
eeyorebob
Challenger Level

"I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me roar"

Re: Wimbledon 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1139 on: July 09, 2014, 07:24 AM »

Does Mac have the time though?  Bit like Martina he has many commentating commitments (I know that Boris did too, well he was part of BBC for Wimbledon 2013 but isn't now lol), that is the main issue really
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 [76] 77 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »