Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 3. - 28 (90.3%)
Murray in 4. - 2 (6.5%)
Murray in 5. - 1 (3.2%)
Rola in 3. - 0 (0%)
Rola in 4. - 0 (0%)
Rola in 5. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 31

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Reply
Author

Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola

(Read 3283 times)
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #150 on: June 26, 2014, 05:53 PM »

Doesn't it occur to you that rather than thinking the score flattered Andy, it might not have quite reflected that Rola played about as well as he could?

Andy was virtually flawless yesterday. The stats back up how well he played. He really just needed to manage himself well, which he did. He was always going to be too good for Rola, who has only played three matches on grass in his life. Yes, Rola had a couple of chances, but Andy responded each time.

It is obvious that Bautista-Agut will be up a level from Rola, but that's the idea in the slams. Andy is moving through the gears nicely and getting it done at the moment. That's all we can ask at this early stage.

Rola can play better than that. I've watched a match or so of his at Challenger level and he's been playing well. I don't think the match did him any justice at all.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #151 on: June 26, 2014, 05:57 PM »

Well i watched the match twice ...and have same opinion that Rola had some chances at key moments. Was he playing at his best? ..well that is debatable id say. Andy made some mistakes...but overall ...like i said... played well. Im well aware that players, for the most part, need to step up in the latter rounds ...though that isnt always the case ..depending on how the draw works out..injuries.. etc.

Agut will be a big jump in level of opponent... Hope Andy makes that jump.

I wasn't arguing that Rola didn't have chances at times. Who took those chances though? Andy, every time.

Rola was playing about the best he can play at the moment. He's played just three matches on grass in his entire career. I've seen two of them. Rola was simply outclassed and outplayed by a far superior opponent who was playing very, very well.

Bautista-Agut just isn't going to beat Andy, but obviously, if you want to write Andy off that's entirely up to you.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #152 on: June 26, 2014, 06:00 PM »

Rola can play better than that. I've watched a match or so of his at Challenger level and he's been playing well. I don't think the match did him any justice at all.

I'm not saying Rola can't play better than that. I was arguing that he might have been playing better than the score suggests, because he had chances. He was outplayed and outclassed by a superior player. That much was obvious.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #153 on: June 26, 2014, 06:02 PM »

I'm laughing.  Even when Andy wins more than comfortably, folk on here are arguing!  lol
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #154 on: June 26, 2014, 06:21 PM »

I'm laughing.  Even when Andy wins more than comfortably, folk on here are arguing!  lol

Yes, only on MW Smile.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #155 on: June 26, 2014, 06:21 PM »

Yes, only on MW Smile.
Tee hee! 
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #156 on: June 26, 2014, 06:25 PM »

I too am fed up with the drooling over Dimi.  I cannot help thinking that Andy and co. broke through long before 23 and they also had big ones to cope with.  I am not saying that Dimi will not do well but so far he has not actually been tested.  Of course, Andy has not been tested either but he has been playing as well as he needs to whereas Dimi seems to have been playing flat out in order to win.

It's annoying me too, and I rate Dimitrov.  However, I rate a lot of other players up and coming players that get overlooked.  IMO, the Berdych-Tomic match was the obvious choice for Centre Court when they were giving Andy his shot at Court #1, and it was a much more interesting match with a higher ranked player, who is also a former finalist, against a talented player who despite himself, had the potential to cause an upset.

He is older, but Andy's opponent tomorrow has been racing up the rankings and won last week on grass.  Yet he's hardly getting any mentions.  I'm interested to know what has happened that has allowed him to make considerable progress, but no-one is interested in him except to say he's playing Andy next.  Kei and Raonic have both had some good results lately, but the contrast in hype is palpable.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that Grigor will have a great run here.  In fact, I expect it, so there was plenty of time for him to get on Centre Court and to be drooled over. 
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #157 on: June 26, 2014, 06:45 PM »

It's annoying me too, and I rate Dimitrov.  However, I rate a lot of other players up and coming players that get overlooked.  IMO, the Berdych-Tomic match was the obvious choice for Centre Court when they were giving Andy his shot at Court #1, and it was a much more interesting match with a higher ranked player, who is also a former finalist, against a talented player who despite himself, had the potential to cause an upset.

He is older, but Andy's opponent tomorrow has been racing up the rankings and won last week on grass.  Yet he's hardly getting any mentions.  I'm interested to know what has happened that has allowed him to make considerable progress, but no-one is interested in him except to say he's playing Andy next.  Kei and Raonic have both had some good results lately, but the contrast in hype is palpable.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that Grigor will have a great run here.  In fact, I expect it, so there was plenty of time for him to get on Centre Court and to be drooled over. 

It's less to do with the tennis and more to do with the fact that Dimitrov is "marketable", particularly now that he is one half of a "glamour couple".    
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #158 on: June 26, 2014, 07:03 PM »

re the relative attention being paid to Kei and Dimi I hope that Kei, playing out on outer courts, says it with his tennis and shows the pundits what they've been missing.  I like the tennis that both of them play but like others I'm getting a  bit irritated with all the attention Dimi is getting.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #159 on: June 26, 2014, 07:08 PM »

Castle rarely drools over Andy.

You must listen to Castle matches on mute?
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #160 on: June 26, 2014, 07:11 PM »

re the relative attention being paid to Kei and Dimi I hope that Kei, playing out on outer courts, says it with his tennis and shows the pundits what they've been missing.  I like the tennis that both of them play but like others I'm getting a  bit irritated with all the attention Dimi is getting.
To be fair, Ruthie, Dimitrov really is something quite special, or appears to be at this stage.  I guess the pundits are just doing their job.  Shrug
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #161 on: June 26, 2014, 07:13 PM »

You must listen to Castle matches on mute?

No, I just tune him out until he says something worth listening to Prod Smile.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #162 on: June 26, 2014, 07:15 PM »

yes you're right Elly he is and it's probably wrong to allow all the hype put me off a player who I was very much behind when he was less well known and not part of the most glam couple in tennis.  Perverse of me I realise but I find myself supporting Kei with more enthusiasm than Dimi these days.   (One of the reasons I was originally drawn to Andy was I think partly because he wasn't Mr Popular with the media and the public though of course I still love him now most of them have seen the error of their ways  Whistle )
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #163 on: June 26, 2014, 07:17 PM »

yes you're right Elly he is and it's probably wrong to allow all the hype put me off a player who I was very much behind when he was less well known and not part of the most glam couple in tennis.  Perverse of me I realise but I find myself supporting Kei with more enthusiasm than Dimi these days.   (One of the reasons I was originally drawn to Andy was I think partly because he wasn't Mr Popular with the media and the public though of course I still love him now most of them have seen the error of their ways  Whistle )
Hehe - I do know what you mean, but don't let the media sway you - they do quite enough damage!  Very Happy  Oh, and I haven't seen much of Kei's play - but will watch out for it, for sure.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #164 on: June 26, 2014, 07:19 PM »

^ true dat
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »