Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 3. - 28 (90.3%)
Murray in 4. - 2 (6.5%)
Murray in 5. - 1 (3.2%)
Rola in 3. - 0 (0%)
Rola in 4. - 0 (0%)
Rola in 5. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 31

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] Go Down Reply
Author

Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola

(Read 3272 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #165 on: June 26, 2014, 07:26 PM »

No, I just tune him out until he says something worth listening to Prod Smile.
Haha, not very often then Teejay!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #166 on: June 26, 2014, 08:12 PM »

Did i write that it was your specific view i disagreed with? ...nope

As I was the only person who actually used the word "flawless" I naturally assumed you were addressing me.
Apparently not.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #167 on: June 26, 2014, 08:13 PM »

It's less to do with the tennis and more to do with the fact that Dimitrov is "marketable", particularly now that he is one half of a "glamour couple".   

The thing is that it becomes a circular argument.  People want to watch him because they've heard he's the next big thing, and the commentators tell everyone he's the next big thing who everyone is interested in.  There was a moment at the final at Queens when the commentators were falling over themselves to say what a great guy he was, apparently because he was holding hands with the young player from the Baltacha Academy.  A few seconds later Lopez did the same and it didn't get a mention.  I'm not sure they even noticed.

Obviously, I understand he's good looking, has an attractive game and going out with a tabloid favourite, so clearly there will be a lot of deserved praise.  I just wish it weren't at the expense of his peers.   I don't think it's particularly important that Dimitrov has achieved little compare with Andy/Novak/Rafa at the equivalent age, because times have changed, and they need to inject some enthusiasm about the next generation.  IMO, it should be spread out a bit.

Earlier on today's coverage they did a segment about all of the up and coming young women in the game, and I found it really interesting to see them compared with each other and how they were all steadily progressing up the rankings.   As far as I'm aware they've not done anything similar with the young men, but have spent much longer raving about just Dimitrov.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #168 on: June 26, 2014, 08:16 PM »

good point Sparkle - it would be interesting to see an analysis of how the next generation of potential champions on the men's side are faring against each other and their respective strengths and weaknesses.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #169 on: June 26, 2014, 08:19 PM »

@Sparkle
Raonic used to get the same attention. Guess it shows how fickle the media is.
Really liked Kusnetzov, and do hope he gets some sweet loving too..Wink
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #170 on: June 26, 2014, 08:20 PM »

@Sparkle
Raonic used to get the same attention. Guess it shows how fickle the media is.
Really liked Kusnetzov, and do hope he gets some sweet loving too..Wink
Kusnetzov looks about 12 - either that, I'm getting way old  He reminds me of Frank Skinner, lookswise...
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #171 on: June 26, 2014, 08:22 PM »

@Elly
Lol he looks younger than Goffin shocking if that's possible!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #172 on: June 26, 2014, 09:02 PM »

Haha, not very often then Teejay!

Exactly Wink.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #173 on: June 27, 2014, 03:10 AM »

As I was the only person who actually used the word "flawless" I naturally assumed you were addressing me.
Apparently not.

Correct ...i was actually referring more to the views of the likes of John Loyd amongst a few other comms. Incase you needed me to be specific.
[ Last edit by ABF June 27, 2014, 03:14 AM ] IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #174 on: June 27, 2014, 08:30 AM »

To be fair, Ruthie, Dimitrov really is something quite special, or appears to be at this stage.  I guess the pundits are just doing their job.  Shrug
Something quite special is pushing it a bit I think, he's not even close to the level the greats were playing at at that age.

Great talent though, don't get me wrong, and will surely be a slam contender in the future, although that's largely because there's no-one particularly special breaking through around that generation at all. It will be interesting, in-fact, if he can win a Slam before some of the particularly talented teenagers (Kyrgios, Coric, Kokkinakis, Quinzi, Khachanov, Zverev, Rublev) catch up to him. That group (with the likes of Edmund and Kozlov on the fringes) are showing far more promise than anyone from generations '88 to '94.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #175 on: June 29, 2014, 06:42 PM »

Rola can play better than that. I've watched a match or so of his at Challenger level and he's been playing well. I don't think the match did him any justice at all.
I'm sure he can Connor, but perhaps Andy didn't let him! When Andy plays as well as he did in this match, he can make really good players look ordinary!  Wink
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #176 on: June 29, 2014, 07:27 PM »

just as he did RBA - the most improved man on the tour this year I believe? 
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Blaz Rola « Reply #177 on: June 29, 2014, 09:13 PM »

just as he did RBA - the most improved man on the tour this year I believe? 
  yes
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »