Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Wimbledon 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 3. - 20 (66.7%)
Murray in 4. - 8 (26.7%)
Murray in 5. - 2 (6.7%)
Anderson in 3. - 0 (0%)
Anderson in 4. - 0 (0%)
Anderson in 5. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 30

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 34 Go Down Reply
Author

Wimbledon 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson

(Read 5125 times)
Connor
John McEnroe

Wimbledon 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson « on: June 27, 2014, 09:00 PM »

After an emphatic display in the third round from Andy, in which he dismantled the Spaniard Roberto Bautista Agut, Andy will next face South African big server Kevin Anderson. Anderson is a solid Top 20 player who has had some of the best years of his career as of late. This year he has posted goods results at the Australian Open, losing in the 4th round to Berdych, a final in Delray Beach, losing to Cilic, a final in Acapulco, losing to Dimitrov, as well as a QF and R4 appearance at Indian Wells and the French Open, losing to Federer and Ferrer respectively. Anderson poses many weapons in his repertoire, such as the big serve, as well as strong groundstrokes and some exceptional touch at the net. Anderson is quite an efficient all court player. This year is the best result of Anderson's career at Wimbledon, so he will be full of confidence coming into his match with Andy and will be seeking the opportunity to upset the 3rd seed.

This will be the third meeting between the two players, with the head to head tied at 1-1, with Anderson winning the last meeting three years ago in Montreal in straight sets. So Andy will be looking for revenge in this match.

* britain.jpg (1.74 KB. 50x33 - viewed 475 times.)
ANDY MURRAY
v
KEVIN ANDERSON

* south africa flag-thumb-50x33.jpg (1.06 KB. 50x33 - viewed 468 times.)

MONDAY 30th JUNE 2014, TIME approx. 3pm, CENTRE COURT

* wimbledon-logo.jpg (36.02 KB. 275x207 - viewed 470 times.)

* Screen Shot 2014-06-27 at 20.58.10.png (137.19 KB, 535x572 - viewed 469 times.)
[ Last edit by Connor June 30, 2014, 07:55 PM ] IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson « Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 11:36 PM »

Good intro,  Connor.

Andy will need to be aware of Anderson (serve) but I think he'll come through okay once he's got int  the right rhythm.
[ Last edit by lashurst June 28, 2014, 11:11 AM ] IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson « Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 11:37 PM »

I think this will be a straightforward progression. I doubt if the previous loss has any bearing at all. Three years is a long time - and didn't he go into that tournament right on the back of Davis Cup duty?
IP Logged
Kavanaugh
Satellite Level

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson « Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 12:17 AM »

Certainly hoping this next round will be a smooth progression for Andy into the quarters - I'll be there to see it! Saw Djokovic dismantle Anderson a few years back on Court no. 1, I forget which round ... On current form I wouldn't bet against Andy to do the same!  yay
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson « Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 08:27 AM »

I seen Anderson out on court 17 yesterday against fognini.....this big moody chump is no match whatsoever for our Andy  no
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson « Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 08:53 AM »

That loss to Anderson was in Andy's  post AO final loss slump. Andy was down, fed up and entirely out of sorts. He was losing to all sorts. If I'm not mistaken Donald Young beat him in the same period. Andy is fine and dandy now.

Anderson will be different, but Andy knows his game. He's also well used to the big servers. I suppose Anderson could nick a set if Andy isn't on his game, but I honestly can't see him troubling Andy for long.

Connor, I'm being pedantic, but Andy's career win/loss record is wrong there. I make it 452 wins now.

Sixteen straight wins at Wimbledon. That's exciting!
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson « Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 10:23 AM »

Andy will win this in four sets.

*takes cover*
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson « Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 10:54 AM »

Four sets for me. Andy is looking great and playing great!
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson « Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 10:56 AM »

That loss to Anderson was in Andy's  post AO final loss slump. Andy was down, fed up and entirely out of sorts. He was losing to all sorts. If I'm not mistaken Donald Young beat him in the same period. Andy is fine and dandy now.

Anderson will be different, but Andy knows his game. He's also well used to the big servers. I suppose Anderson could nick a set if Andy isn't on his game, but I honestly can't see him troubling Andy for long.

Connor, I'm being pedantic, but Andy's career win/loss record is wrong there. I make it 452 wins now.

It won't register Wimbledon until after the tournament. Be patient.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson « Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 12:47 PM »

Good luck on Monday Andy yay
Come On yahooo
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson « Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 01:41 PM »

Does Anderson have anything of weight to offer apart from his serve?  Given that Andy is one of the best returners in the game, I'm not surprised Anderson says he feels nervous about facing Andy on Monday. 

TJ - I too thought he'd lost to him in a post-AO slump (I thought it was Indian Wells) but it appears it was in Montreal in 2011 so am trying to remember what accounted for what was a pretty comprehensive defeat. Can someone with a better memory remember what happened there?
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson « Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 01:48 PM »

Does Anderson have anything of weight to offer apart from his serve?  Given that Andy is one of the best returners in the game, I'm not surprised Anderson says he feels nervous about facing Andy on Monday. 

TJ - I too thought he'd lost to him in a post-AO slump (I thought it was Indian Wells) but it appears it was in Montreal in 2011 so am trying to remember what accounted for what was a pretty comprehensive defeat. Can someone with a better memory remember what happened there?

If you read the intro you would see I did say something about what Anderson provides.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson « Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 01:48 PM »

As I indicated above he came to Canada off a Davis Cup stint in UK following a heavy run at RG (SF)and Queens (won) and Wimbledon (SF) .  Just knackered I guess.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson « Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 02:07 PM »

Nah it was well after that. You're thinking of Bogomolov Jr I think (who he lost to at Miami, having lost to Young in IW).

The thrashing to Anderson was at Montreal in his first tournament after losing to Nadal at Wimbledon (DC vs Luxembourg aside).
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Wimbledon 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson « Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 02:56 PM »

Andy does well vs guys like this. He's tall, so Andy will make him move, slice, keep the ball low. He'll get into Anderson's service games, too. I said four, but it could easily be straights.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 34 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »