Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who wins?
Murray in 3 - 4 (6%)
Murray in 4 - 26 (38.8%)
Murray in 5 - 24 (35.8%)
Federer in 3 - 6 (9%)
Federer in 4 - 6 (9%)
Federer in 5 - 1 (1.5%)
Total Voters: 67

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 119 Go Down Reply
Author

Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer

(Read 21826 times)
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #105 on: July 07, 2012, 07:44 AM »

This is another level above the other three slam finals.

http://www.number10.gov.uk/news/pm-congratulates-andy-murray-wimbledon-final/

Sunday is going to be absolutely mega.
I think that's brilliant that the Saltire will be flown alongside the Union Jack tomorrow! It's sending a message to the whole country to get behind our man! Let's hope the message gets through! Andy will need all the support he can get, but he can do it, if he 'believes'! I do, I've gone for Andy in 5! C'MON!  cmon yeah
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #106 on: July 07, 2012, 07:49 AM »

Dont normally listen to fed post match interveiws but did this one, such a big head "how could we cope without him in the final" still cant beleive he said it.
Yes.......and he 'looked' so 'humble' while he said it! I nearly wet myself laughing! I hope Andy wipes the smug look off his face tomorrow! cmon yeah
IP Logged
lgriev10
Satellite Level

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #107 on: July 07, 2012, 08:40 AM »

What I am seeing from Andy, this tournament is definite improvement in his ability, through I believe, pragmatic coaching from Mr Lendl, for him to rely on the weapon that is his first serve, seeing it as a gift, rather than an onerous responsibility.  This and unparalleled improvement in his 2nd serve this tournament, and these Ladies and Gentleman are the finishing pieces to his game, not a need to be more aggressive in his game play!

Did you notice his quiet application in the final game against Jo- Wilfred?  That was also a bit of coaching from Mr Lendl, who he name checked for preaching a ' let's just get on with it and not get carried away, by lows or the highs' a great living example of this is David Ferrer, who one can see is nervous and hyped to the max, but just brings all that intensity to each shot, each point.  I don't think the two things are unrelated.  The low key application and 'just getting on with it'  provide the humble basis for the 1st serve, it doesn't need to be aggressive, because it is by nature aggressive.

"Every extreme attitude is a flight from the self - the passionate state of mind is an expression of inner dissatisfaction."
                                                    Eric Hoffer

"Let's go Andy, let's go!"
                                    Lucien Grieve
IP Logged
lgriev10
Satellite Level

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #108 on: July 07, 2012, 08:52 AM »

No, just base it on the fact the the SNP have performed outstandingly since they came into power. Bagpipes

The radio phone-ins and comment sections of websites often bring out the knuckle draggers and the haters.  Only reactionaries think being an independent Scotland and good neighbours are mutually exclusive.  There are sound reasons to look after our own concerns AND be good neighbours.  This of course applies to England, too.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #109 on: July 07, 2012, 09:26 AM »

I've voted Andy in 5 - perhaps more with my heart than my head but I do think he can win with the mental fortitude he is showing now.  He and Ivan will discuss the match tonight so Andy can sleep on it and then again in the morning.  I'm sure Ivan will have looked at the tapes of the GS final losses against fed and also the other finals where Andy has beaten him.  If he beat fed that would be the sweetest thing ever.
No doubt smugfed will assume any royalty has come to see him because he thinks of himself as royalty,.  But Andy has to be prepared for the possibility that half the crowd will be shouting for fed; otherwise it could get to him.  Some of the people on the phone in last night (to which I contributed, see other threads) were utterly vile and underlined the fact that Andy could go on to win multiple slams but still not win over some of the bigoted English public.
IP Logged
Knights
Junior

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #110 on: July 07, 2012, 09:31 AM »

What time will this match be on?
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #111 on: July 07, 2012, 09:33 AM »

Starts 2pm UK time I think Knights.  1 am NZ time yawn
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #112 on: July 07, 2012, 09:41 AM »

Let's get this in perspective. When this tournament started and the horrendous draw became apparent, most people were predicting doom and gloom, of the "he will go out in the first round", Karlovic will eat him" variety, particularly after the traumatic Queen's performance. Yet 6 difficult matches further on and the countries No 1 tennis player is one of only two men standing in the men's singles. He could have crumbled at any stage, particularly in the Baghdatis, Ferrer and Tsonga matches. He didn't, which given the unbelievable amount of pressure he is under is an awesome feat in its own right.

Can he win tomorrow, of course he can, we all know he has the ability. Will he? That depends on so many factors, such as what Lendel does with him, how much of Fed's victory was DJ being unwell, how much support he gets from the crowd, the wind, the weather, etc,etc.

Either way he has done incredibly well. Getting to the final, way beyond expectations, taking a set, even more progress, winning ecstasy.  6 months ago Lendle had only just started with him, and got him so close to winning that AO semi, now he has got him into the men's Wimbledon Singles Final. The first man from these islands to have done that in 74 years.

All those dingbats commenting about his post match interview, which might not have been brilliant, couldn't they see the poor sod was almost in a state of shock, he had kept it together and won. I shudder to think what the adrenalin was doing to his system at that moment. I am quite surprised he didn't vomit everywhere.

Let's celebrate whatever he achieves tomorrow. Regardless I now believe he will get a Grand Slam. 6 months of Lendle working on his attitude and we are here. Who knows what another 6 months will bring. They both said not to expect instant results. Can we try to keep the abuse down a bit tomorrow. If he loses the battle, I an now certain that he will eventually win the war.

If he wins, he stops Fed overtaking DJ, he stops Fed crowing over a Wimbledon record, he makes history in his own right, and stuffs the cretins on the Daily Mail site.  What more motivation does be need?

My thoughts for what they are worth.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #113 on: July 07, 2012, 09:42 AM »

Just had a look at the weather forecast for tomorrow and it's saying 'light rain shower' around the time of the final. If the roof is on, I'd say that would favour Fed as he's so good indoors (as shown by his wins over Andy and everyone at the WTF).
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #114 on: July 07, 2012, 09:59 AM »

Try being a Hibs fan!

Try Partick Thistle - on the positive side, I guess that we are accustomed to disappointment!
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #115 on: July 07, 2012, 10:04 AM »

Let's get this in perspective. When this tournament started and the horrendous draw became apparent, most people were predicting doom and gloom, of the "he will go out in the first round", Karlovic will eat him" variety, particularly after the traumatic Queen's performance. Yet 6 difficult matches further on and the countries No 1 tennis player is one of only two men standing in the men's singles. He could have crumbled at any stage, particularly in the Baghdatis, Ferrer and Tsonga matches. He didn't, which given the unbelievable amount of pressure he is under is an awesome feat in its own right.

Can he win tomorrow, of course he can, we all know he has the ability. Will he? That depends on so many factors, such as what Lendel does with him, how much of Fed's victory was DJ being unwell, how much support he gets from the crowd, the wind, the weather, etc,etc.

Either way he has done incredibly well. Getting to the final, way beyond expectations, taking a set, even more progress, winning ecstasy.  6 months ago Lendle had only just started with him, and got him so close to winning that AO semi, now he has got him into the men's Wimbledon Singles Final. The first man from these islands to have done that in 74 years.

All those dingbats commenting about his post match interview, which might not have been brilliant, couldn't they see the poor sod was almost in a state of shock, he had kept it together and won. I shudder to think what the adrenalin was doing to his system at that moment. I am quite surprised he didn't vomit everywhere.

Let's celebrate whatever he achieves tomorrow. Regardless I now believe he will get a Grand Slam. 6 months of Lendle working on his attitude and we are here. Who knows what another 6 months will bring. They both said not to expect instant results. Can we try to keep the abuse down a bit tomorrow. If he loses the battle, I an now certain that he will eventually win the war.

If he wins, he stops Fed overtaking DJ, he stops Fed crowing over a Wimbledon record, he makes history in his own right, and stuffs the cretins on the Daily Mail site.  What more motivation does be need?

Masaka - you've just won my vote for post of the month.  Well said Sir (or Madam) !!
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #116 on: July 07, 2012, 10:22 AM »

clap  yay  Excellent
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #117 on: July 07, 2012, 10:34 AM »

Good posting! Agree with everything Very Happy
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #118 on: July 07, 2012, 10:47 AM »

A prayer for Andy, from Mickeypops

Dear Lord

You will know that I’m not an overtly religious person, though you and I have had our moments over the years.

I am not asking you to influence the result of a sporting event.  That would suggest that you would favour one of your people over another, and that would not be fair.

You gifted this young man, Andy Murray, with an extraordinary talent.  He has honoured these gifts by working tirelessly to develop, to hone and to improve these God-given skills to become a world class athlete, giving great pleasure and inspiration to millions of people.

He stands at the forefront of an unprecedented place in British sporting history.

I ask that you help Andy lessen the burden of history, to ease the overwhelming weight of a nation’s somewhat unreasonable expectations.   

That he finds an inner calm and resolve, so that the pressure of the occasion does not jeopardise his chances, against his vastly more experienced opponent.

That he leaves the hallowed lawn of battle on Sunday evening, with his head held high, carrying the grateful appreciation of a nation, and of the world, for a display of enormous ability and outstanding sportsmanship.

That all the people of his country (Britain) and his Nation (Scotland) take enormous  pride in his performance and allow, for once, that our petty little grievances – real or imagined – do not to divide our appreciation of his magnificent achievements.

That he plays to the best of his ability. 

That the best man on the day will prevail.

And that the best man on the day is Andy Murray.

Amen.
IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

16 Grand Slams = peRFection

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #119 on: July 07, 2012, 11:05 AM »

Should be a great match pressure on both sides for Roger to regain the number 1 ranking and tie Petes record of 7 wimbledons for Murray the pressure to be the first British Champion in what is it 150,000 years? First set is crucial for Murray that is for sure.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 119 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »