Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who wins?
Murray in 3 - 4 (6%)
Murray in 4 - 26 (38.8%)
Murray in 5 - 24 (35.8%)
Federer in 3 - 6 (9%)
Federer in 4 - 6 (9%)
Federer in 5 - 1 (1.5%)
Total Voters: 67

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 [114] 115 116 117 ... 119 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer  (Read 19481 times)
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #1695 on: July 09, 2012, 09:29 AM »

‎"My Brother is a champion. He may not have won but he is a champion. And to be able to stand up after all that and take a microphone and deliver that speech shows what kind of person he is." - Jamie Murray.

oh dear god.  Im gonna cry again

I can't believe two 30 year olds won Wimby  shocking  What is this?!?!?!

In my eyes there is only one champion and it isn't the one holding the trophy.
[ Last edit by johnkiernan35 July 09, 2012, 09:44 AM ] IP Logged
deb
ATP Level

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #1696 on: July 09, 2012, 09:46 AM »

‎"My Brother is a champion. He may not have won but he is a champion. And to be able to stand up after all that and take a microphone and deliver that speech shows what kind of person he is." - Jamie Murray.

oh dear god.  Im gonna cry again

I can't believe two 30 year olds won Wimby  shocking  What is this?!?!?!

Your so right John.  Bless Jamie, Andy you did us proud. 
IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

16 Grand Slams = peRFection

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #1697 on: July 09, 2012, 09:59 AM »

Hey guys I can't pretend to know how you guys are feeling but I do feel very bad for you and Andy! First two sets he played so well I am never concerned for Roger in major finals other than against Rafa but the way the match was heading I feared Murray taking a 2 set lead which would have been so hard to turn around!

He's too good a player not to win a slam he will win one soon Lendl is definitely having a positive impact I hope he takes the positives from this and kicks on hopefully it won't have the same negative affect as after 2010 Australian open final when he lost to Roger as well.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #1698 on: July 09, 2012, 10:34 AM »

Totally agree with this statement and I bloody hope Mr A Murray does as well.

I so hope your ?!?!?! represent what I am thinking as well..... No man or woman of that age should have so much strength and energy....!!! The question in my eyes remains Why? and How? Mr M always looks completely knackered after these performances and he is meant to be one of the fittest blokes competing.

Yes, not the arrogant, nasty bit of work holding it.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #1699 on: July 09, 2012, 10:43 AM »

oh dear god.  Im gonna cry again

tender
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #1700 on: July 09, 2012, 12:09 PM »

Here's what Andy has to say in his final BBC Wimbledon column.: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/18766101

It is hard to describe the disappointment of losing a Grand Slam final, let alone as a British player at Wimbledon with such incredible home support.
If only it was that easy.

Having invested so much effort and received unbelievable backing, it is difficult to control your reaction. The last thing you want is to cry on court, but there we go.

This tournament, the public and my family and friends all mean a great deal. I'm more determined than ever to make sure I'm the guy lifting the trophy next time round.

and..  Take a bow, Andy!  clap
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #1701 on: July 09, 2012, 12:27 PM »

Murray's serving stats were the best in the tournament, til sets 3/4.
Probably 2 weeks finally caught up with him physically but if he'd served solid it wouldnt have mattered what Federer did Murray would now be Champion. Thats how important the serve is.
His 1st Slam could turn out to be the US Open next month,on his preferred  hardcourt, if he can just improve his 2nd serve a tad more?

He had one of the best 2nd serve % of the entire tournament. Cant do much better than that.
Lendl has helped him eradicate this weakness, & others. But in clutch moments particulalry under the roof it let him down a bit still.
His 1st serve to me was the problem in the last 2 sets. Andy's game shall shift a gear higher when he wins a slam. This is inevitable & happens to all extremely good players, who can then move on to become great ones. Unfortunately he might need that shift to win his first one, but really beating Nadal on a low bouncing hardcourt should be something he is capable of doing and must be able to do going on. Nadal should have no place at the US Open finals anymore & his earlier win should be seen as an aberration. On a positive note Andy certainly looks more emotionally prepared to achieve this objective after yesterdays performance.
IP Logged
Becky
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #1702 on: July 09, 2012, 12:41 PM »

He had one of the best 2nd serve % of the entire tournament. Cant do much better than that.
Lendl has helped him eradicate this weakness, & others. But in clutch moments particulalry under the roof it let him down a bit still.
His 1st serve to me was the problem in the last 2 sets. Andy's game shall shift a gear higher when he wins a slam. This is inevitable & happens to all extremely good players, who can then move on to become great ones. Unfortunately he might need that shift to win his first one, but really beating Nadal on a low bouncing hardcourt should be something he is capable of doing and must be able to do going on. Nadal should have no place at the US Open finals anymore & his earlier win should be seen as an aberration. On a positive note Andy certainly looks more emotionally prepared to achieve this objective after yesterdays performance.

I agree, I think Nadal got lucky to win the US Open and seeing him beat a tired out Andy to get to the final again last year really annoyed me.

Now that he and Andy are ranked 3 and 4 they won't play in the semis for once. I'm predicting he'll get Federer in the semis as the tennis overlords barely ever place Fed and Nadal in the same half.

Hopefully he'll carry on all the good work he's done with Lendl and get that slam in New York.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #1703 on: July 10, 2012, 12:19 AM »

Well done Andy! That is really all I have to say of any importance. I really thought in those first two sets that he could do it - perhaps he can - but I have not seen him play so well in the last couple of years at least. Lendl is definitely helping him - long may it last.

To all the criticisers - dour Scot is he? To me he is a thoroughly decent young man who played his heart out today - who wanted to win with all his being - and he will one day. The British crowd was superb - their feelings were adequately expressed during the presentation ceremony where, once again, he couldn't hide his own emotions. I do hope Federer in all his smugness appreciated just how much this particular title meant to his opponent. This was no carefully staged emotional display it was real from a contender who has little showmanship, just a natural and deep rooted desire to win this very special English title. This is why I think so much of this young man and have done for some years. I will follow him through his career until it ends or I peg-out because he is thoroughly decent human being with a tremendous talent and he has brought years of pleasure to both my husband and I and hopefully will continue to do so. We are both pensioners and he representS a country we have been to many times, whose people we love for their friendship and hospitality, well done Andy - that's showed them - you were splendid.
Good posting!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #1704 on: July 10, 2012, 12:58 AM »

Federer actually said a few nice things about Andy. I've now warmed up to him about 0.05%. Here's what he had to say in his PC:

Q. Clearly very emotional for him. You must have felt for him.

ROGER FEDERER: For Andy?

Q. Yes.

ROGER FEDERER: Yes. I mean, are you kidding me? Yeah, I mean, I told him it’s supposed to be easier, this part, than playing the match. It’s hard. I mean, I’ve been there, as well. I think he’s done so, so well, to be quite honest. Because I see him every day. I see him, what he goes through on a daily basis on tour.

At Wimbledon I think he handle is it so perfectly, to be quite honest. I think he’s giving himself so many looks at big titles. Grand Slams I think is what you guys are focusing on the most. I really do believe deep down in me he will win Grand Slams, not just one. I do wish him all the best. This is genuine. He works extremely hard. He’s as professional as you can be.

Things just didn’t quite turn out for him in the finals that he hoped for. But today I’m sure he got another step closer to a Grand Slam title for him. I really do believe and hope for him that he’s going to win one soon.

IP Logged
Crisstti

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #1705 on: July 10, 2012, 01:22 AM »

Uhm, guys, really?.  Rafa got lucky to win the USO, it was an aberration?.  Don't forget he won the USO beating Djokovic, who has 4 hc slams, and the AO, beating Fed.  And he's reached two other finals in hc slams...

I haven't seen Andy's speech, wasn't capable of it... does anyone have a link?.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #1706 on: July 10, 2012, 02:29 AM »

Uhm, guys, really?.  Rafa got lucky to win the USO, it was an aberration?.  Don't forget he won the USO beating Djokovic, who has 4 hc slams, and the AO, beating Fed.  And he's reached two other finals in hc slams...

On YouTube - and I've gone all emotional again listening to it.

IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #1707 on: July 10, 2012, 03:04 AM »

I've seen it  too many times already.  It can be heartbreaking following Andy but he's the player that stole my heart. The only player I'd lose sleep over. The only player I'd cry over. I'd have sold my soul to the devil on Sunday if it meant Andy winning Wimbledon.  I keep telling myself that it will be worth it when he wins. 
IP Logged
Becky
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #1708 on: July 10, 2012, 12:30 PM »

The draw opened up for him at that us open and then djokovic had just played a much longer match against fed in the previous round.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Wimbledon Final: Murray v Federer « Reply #1709 on: July 10, 2012, 03:21 PM »

I've seen it  too many times already.  It can be heartbreaking following Andy but he's the player that stole my heart. The only player I'd lose sleep over. The only player I'd cry over. I'd have sold my soul to the devil on Sunday if it meant Andy winning Wimbledon.  I keep telling myself that it will be worth it when he wins. 
  I know what you mean - and I'm a straight guy FFS!!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 [114] 115 116 117 ... 119 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »